OR - Icebreaker Nature LS Shirt - Kristine Mar

  • kmar546
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 12, 2011
      Hello,

      Here's an owners review for the Women's Icebreaker Nature 150 Shirt. I look forward to receiving your edits. Below is the text version of the report and a copy of the html version can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/bvx8ywd

      Icebreaker Nature 150 Sweethear Shirt (2010)
      Long Sleeve (For Women)
      Owner Review by Kristine Mar
      November 12, 2011

      Biographical Information

      Name: Kristine Mar
      Age: 46
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5'3" (1.6 m)
      Weight: 115 Pounds (52 kg)
      Email address: kmar546@...
      City, State, Country: New York, New York, U.S.A.

      My love for the outdoors began about ten years ago, while I was living in Northern California. Most of my hiking experience includes day hikes, with an occasional 2-3 day backpacking trip. I'd consider myself a 4-season hiker and generally like to keep my pack as light as reasonably possible without spending a fortune. In 2007, I moved to New York City and have enjoyed East Coast hiking and experiencing the outdoors with four seasons. I enjoy hiking in all terrains, and have been fortunate enough to hike in a number of national and state parks, and several countries.

      Product Information:

      Manufacturer: Icebreaker
      Year of Manufacture: 2010
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.icebreaker.com
      Color: Passion
      Other Colors Currently Available: Black-Hibiscus,Bliss, Snow-Kelp, Naked
      Material: 100% Merina Wool
      Size Tested: XS, Also Available in Women's S, M, L, XL
      Listed weight: N/A
      Actual weight: 5.0 oz/pair (142 g)
      MSRP: U.S.$70.00

      Product Description:

      TThe Nature 150 is part Icebreaker's ultralite line and is described as being silky soft and light, allowing the wearer to push their limits in the outdoors in clothes which are manufactured of a fabric that keeps you warm when it's cold, keeps you cool when it's warm, offering maximum breathability, all while remaining odor resistant, and feeling silky soft against the skin. The ultralite line is meant to be worn as an under layer all year round in varying temperatures.

      Field Conditions and Use:

      I purchased this shirt to wear as a base layer during the fall, winter, and spring and I have worn this shirt approximately 40 times for multiple activities over the past year including running, snowboarding, hiking, snowshoeing and cross country skiing. The temperatures during my outdoor activities generally ranged from 20 F (-7 C) to 55 F (13 C). The fabric is very thin and is best worn as a base layer, although I have, on occasion, worn a tank top underneath and have worn it as a mid-layer with a light waterproof shell or soft-shell on top for warmer days.

      <Photo: Front View>

      This is actually the second Icebreaker ultrafine base layer that I had purchased in the exact same model, but a different color. I love how the merino wool feels against my skin. It feels like a soft cotton t-shirt and is the most comfortable base layer that I own. Some of the synthetic fabrics on the market have a harsh feel against my skin but the merino wool feels great, and at the same time, does a great job of allowing my skin to breathe even during active pursuits and even when I am sweating, I never notice a smell which many of the synthetic base layers emit after prolonged activity.

      I was disappointed that the first one that I purchased reacted to my deodorant and I ended up with yellow underarm stains. I loved the shirt so much, however, that I purchased this one and I have now switched deodorants to one that has no aluminum chlorohydrate so that I would never ruin a merino wool shirt again and so far, I have not experienced the same problem.

      I wash the shirt in warm or cold water and allow it to hang dry and it has held up well with no fraying, or discoloration. The fit of the shirt is trim fitting which allows for easy layering and design is attractive. The sweetheart neckline is also comfortable, without being too low or high cut. The shirt never feels too tight or constricting, and the fabric has a nice stretch. The icebreaker shirts and merino wool in general, are pricier than some of the synthetic base layers on the market, but I think that the investment is worth it for the quality and comfort that you get. I do wish however that the company provided a warning on the care instructions advising of the reaction of aluminum based deodorants and wool products.

      <Photo: Design Detail on Fabric>

      THINGS I LIKE:
      - Lightweight
      - Breathable
      - Wicks moisture
      - Attractive fit and design which allows for easy layering

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE:

      - Reaction to some deodorants - the label should state a warning
      - Price
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 12, 2011

        Editors Team Director