Revised Kelty Coyote 4750 OR Matt Mounie

  • mattmounie
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 9, 2011
      KELTY COYOTE 4750
      BY MATT MOUNIE
      OR
      November 09, 2011

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Matt Mounie
      EMAIL: Mattmounie@...
      AGE: 23
      LOCATION: Boone, North Carolina, USA
      GENDER: m
      HEIGHT: 6' 0" (1.80 m)
      WEIGHT: 175 lb (79.40 kg)
      Backpacking Background: I am an Eagle Scout with a slight obsession with backpacking. I have hiked mainly in the Appalachian Mountains of North Carolina, but have been graced to hike all over the U.S. I aspire to hike the entire A.T. within the next two years and I thrive on backpacking in harsh conditions (elevation changes, temperature, snow, ect.). I usually get on the trail 1-3 times a month and usually backpack with a friend.

      Kelty Coyote 4750

      Manufacturer: Kelty
      Year of Manufacture: 2006
      Manufacturer's Website: www.kelty.com
      MSRP: US $150.00 (at time of purchase)
      US $120.00 (present cost)
      Listed Weight: 5lbs 6oz (2.43g)

      Other details: The Kelty Coyote is an internal framed backpack with top and front load entry. The pack has a top pouch which can be removed and used as a fanny pack for day hikes. On the rear of the pack is a location for a bladder hydration system (platypus or camelback). There is an easy grip handle to hoist the pack located on the top rear of the pack. There are strap adjustments for optimal comfort for the waist, chest, and each shoulder. The pack has compression cords all around the pack to keep the weight centered and not bulgy. There are 2 side zipper pockets and 2 elastic pouches for water bottles. There is a large storage access on the front that doubles as an access point to the internal storage of the pack. This allows easy access to the inside of the pack without having to remove everything inside. A daisy chain located down the front middle of the pack allows tons of places to attach items to the outside of the pack.

      FIELD USE

      The Kelty Coyote 4750 has been on my back for the past 5 years, used primarily on weekend backpacking sections of the Appalachian Trail and all over North Carolina from steep terrains and harsh conditions to basic day hikes. This was my first internal frame backpack which for me has been a blessing. Its light weight and comfort were an immediate sell and has improved my ability to backpack further and easier.

      I have a tendency to mistreat my gear and even broke my old external pack's framework thus retiring it for an internal frame. This pack has been used primarily for 2 -3 night backpacking trips throughout North Carolina but has also endured 2 or 3 one week long backpacking trips. This pack has endured a total of 50+ nights in the woods and has withstood on average 30-45 pounds (13.6-20.4kg) with few visible effects.

      I have used the pack in temperatures as low as 5 Fahrenheit (-15 Celsius) on Cold Mountain, North Carolina and as hot as 95 Fahrenheit backpacking through Pisgah National Forest, North Carolina. I have been on the trail during large rain storms and have found that my pack cover can quickly attach to the pack and keeps the pack very dry, the one time I have been caught in rain without a pack cover my pack absorbed the rain and soaked all of my gear.
      I did a week long hike in Pisgah National Forest, North Carolina and found that when the inside of the pack is overstuffed that the top compartment rises way above my head. This has a tendency to throw my balance off and I often bump into low lying branches on the trail.

      SUMMARY

      I have taken this pack on many backpacking trips and have found it is amazing for 2-3 day hikes, 4+ days on the trail and the storage space is limited. I would recommend a bigger size if one was planning to purchase a pack for longer hikes. The side storage pockets are very useful for quick access to what need you but the zippers on one side have blown out from over usage. The water bottle access zones on either side of the waist are nice unless there is gear in the bottom of the pack. If gear is loaded in the pack the pockets bulge out not being able to fit a 1 littler water bottle. The front access point is amazing allowing you to get into the middle of the pack without having to remove all the gear from the top down.

      I would completely recommend this pack to anyone who is a beginner to intermediate hiker that needs a pack for 2-3 day hikes. Having used an external framed backpack my whole life prior to this pack I could never see myself resorting to use an external framed pack again. The price is spot on and the cloth and hardware have held together nicely for 5 years of usage.

      THINGS I LIKE

      Likes: Price
      Exterior storage spaces
      Waist, chest, and shoulder strap adjustments

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      Dislikes: Not enough internal storage room
      Mesh compartments don't hold a bottle if too much gear is - in pack
      Top compartment can protrude to high out of pack

      SIGNATURE
      Matt Mounie
      11/09/2011

      Copyright 2011. All rights reserved.