Owner Review - Enu Pronest Hammock

  • mattmounie
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2011
      NAME: Matt Mounie
      EMAIL: Mattmounie@...
      AGE: 23
      LOCATION: Boone, North Carolina, USA
      GENDER: m
      HEIGHT: 6' 0" (1.80 m)
      WEIGHT: 175 lb (79.40 kg)

      Backpacking Background: I am an Eagle Scout with a slight obsession with backpacking. I have hiked mainly in the Appalachian Mountains of North Carolina, but have been graced to hike all over the U.S. I aspire to hike the entire A.T. within the next two years and I thrive on backpacking in harsh conditions (elevation changes, temperature, snow, ect.). I usually get on the trail 1-3 times a month but am trying to take my hiking to the next level.

      Enu Pronest Hammock

      Manufacturer: Eagle Nest Outfitters
      Year of Manufacture: 2009
      Manufacturer's Website: www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com
      MSRP: US$ 54.97
      Listed Weight: 18oz (510g)
      Other details: One person hammock, max weight 400lbs, and a stuff sack is attached to the hammock. It has almost any color pattern you can think of.

      FIELD USE

      I used my hammock as my shelter for a 2 day backpacker along Roan Mountain, North Carolina. Using a hammock as a shelter requires trees to hang the hammock from. Roan Mountain has plenty of large oak and pine trees to choose from. The weather was in the mid 80's at night and 90's during the day, there were no clouds in the sky which made optimum hammock weather. The straps for the hammock allow quick easy set up and allow for as much sag in the hammock as found fit. The hammock is great for all sizes and is a nice alternative to a hard ground floor. The light weight is much nicer to haul on a 2-3 hike than a heavy tent.

      SUMMARY

      The Enu hammock offers a nice alternative shelter to a tent, its light weight and easy set up make it a "cowboy crashers" (sleeping under the stars) dream. When using a hammock as a shelter during a backpacker, one must be positive that there are places to hang the hammock. Weather conditions can also play a large factor in using this hammock for a shelter, rain, wind, and especially bugs. A tarp may be purchased to keep the elements out but will also boost the weight you must carry. Sleeping bags fit very nicely in the hammock and the stuff sack which is attached to the hammock can double as a nice place to keep a flashlight or other small necessities. It also has a buckle which allows it to attach to the pack on the outside, saving room on the inside.

      THINGS I LIKE

      Likes: Low weight and easy set up
      Can attach to outside of pack
      Comfortable to sleep in
      Stuff sack doubles as a pocket

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      Dislikes: Doesn't keep out rain or bugs
      Carabiner attachments rust
      Needs to be hung from trees

      SIGNATURE

      Matt Mounie 11/03/2011

      Copyright 2011. All rights reserved.
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 7, 2011
        Thank you for your interest in writing reviews for this group and for eagerly posting your first 2 Owner Reviews (ORs). Experience has shown us that it is more efficient for both the Editors and yourself if you post your first review, have it edited, approved and uploaded before you post your second and subsequent reviews. As such, this OR will be put in the "On Hold" section of our Edit Queue until OR #1 has gone through to completion and you have revised this one.

        If you have any questions please let us know.

        Cordially,
        Jamie DeBenedetto
        Editors Team Director