OR - Patagonia Capilene 1 Silkweight Crew

  • alex
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 27, 2011
      HTML can be found at http://tinyurl.com/6ftp3hw

      Thanks in advance for your time and edits!

      Patagonia Capilene 1 Silkweight Crew
      Owner Review by Alex Legg
      October 27, 2011

      Reviewer Information:

      Name:  Alex Legg
      Age:  30
      Gender:  Male
      Height:  6'4" (1.9 m)
      Weight:  195 lbs (88 kg)
      Email address:  alexlegg2 AT yahoo DOT com
      City, State, Country:  Tucson, Arizona, USA

      Backpacking Background:

      I grew up backpacking in the Rockies.  I hike ranges near Tucson, Arizona during winter, Colorado during summer.  I carry a light pack, mostly water.  I tend to camp with a tarp whenever possible to reduce the weight of my two person tent.  Primarily I do day hikes, but I am known to spend 5 days out.  Temperatures range from extreme winter to 100 F (38 C), and elevation from 2000' (600 m) to 14,000' (4,300 m).  I bag a mountain every weekend, and walk my dogs daily through deep sand and overgrown mesquite trees in our local washes.

      Product Information and Specifications:

      Manufacturer: Patagonia, Inc.
      Year of Manufacturer: 2011
      Listed weight: 4.2 oz (119 g)
      Actual weight: 4.3 oz (122 g)
      Size: L
      Available sizes: XS - XXL
      Color: Black
      Available color: Black, Channel blue, White, Mango, Watercress.
      MSRP: $45.00

      Product Description:

      The Patagonia Capilene 1 Silkweight Crew shirt is the lightest synthetic baselayer that Patagonia makes.

      The manufacturer claims the shirt will keep you dry and cool while supplying 15-UPF sun protection.

      They also claim that the capilene material is highly breathable and fast drying. I can attest to both of these claims being true. I often wear this shirt by itself, but it comes in handy as a warm baselayer to add upon. The material is not incredibly soft like cotton, but it is comfortable. It fits me very tight and snug.

      The offset shoulder seams are supposed to give me a full range of motion and pack wearing comfort.

      The shirt is long enough to be tucked in, however I rarely do unless the weather has me looking for every possible way to add to my warmth.

      The manufacture states that 3.4 oz (96 g) of the shirt is composed of 100% recycled polyester containing Gladiodor odor control. This is good due to the fact that I tend to get pretty stinky on the trail.

      I like how the sleeves squeeze tightly to my wrists, and the collar fits close to my neck to avoid any warmth escaping.

      Field Conditions:

      I have worn the Patagonia Capilene 1 Silkweight Crew shirt on many occasions. Generally I throw it on first thing in the morning to combat that early morning cool.

      This is a shirt that I use regularly at home as well as while in the backcountry.

      I have had it on in temperatures ranging from 25 F (-3.8 C) to 65 F (18.33 C), and in elevations from 2,000' (610 m) to 13,000' (3,962 m). This shirt has experienced rain, sleet and snow as well as beautiful sunny days.

      Performance:

      This is a highly performing shirt. It is not only the best baselayer I have worn to date, but it also serves as a great single layer all on its own.

      I have not experienced any sun burning through the fabric, even after long hikes on bright sunny days, so I assume that the 15-UPF sun protection does its job.

      On cold mornings, I find that I reach for this shirt almost immediately after waking up. Many times I wake up and I am already wearing it.

      I like how tightly the shirt fits and how little cool air penetrates the capilene. The sleeves never ride up my arm and expose me to the elements, and the bottom of the shirt as well as the collar have kept their integrity and shape far better than I expected.

      When the shirt has gotten saturated either by me or by the sky, I have found it to dry exceptionally fast, often while I am still wearing it.

      This is a great piece of gear! Patagonia has created a product that has me sold to the point that I don't think I will every buy a baslayer from another company.

      All of the manufacturer's claims have been addressed and proven factual through my use.

      The Capilene fabric has great wicking abilities, and dries very fast.

      The Gladiodor garment odor control seems to hold up to even my most stinky days. I notice that I smell worse than the shirt most times.

      The sun protection works just as it is supposed to, and the shirt keeps its integrity of shape and tightness after many many uses.

      Pros:

      1. Great wicking ability.
      2. Odor control.
      3. 15-UPF sun protection.