OR: Clif Shot Bloks- Nancy Griffith

  • Nancy Griffith
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 16, 2011
      Hi OR Editors,

      I've posted an Owner Review for Clif Shot Bloks to the test (Owner Review) folder.

      Here's the link and text.

      Thanks for providing edits.

      Nancy

      http://tinyurl.com/3tcuar8

      CLIF SHOT BLOKS
      BY NANCY GRIFFITH
      OR
      October 16, 2011

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Nancy Griffith
      EMAIL: bkpkrgirlATyahooDOTcom
      AGE: 45
      LOCATION: Northern California, USA
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 6" (1.68 m)
      WEIGHT: 130 lb (59.00 kg)

      My outdoor experience began in high school with involvement in a local canoeing/camping group called Canoe Trails.  The culmination was a 10-day canoe voyage through the Quebec wilds.  I've been backpacking since my college days in Pennsylvania.  I have completed all of the Appalachian Trail in Georgia, Tennessee and North Carolina.  My typical trip now is in the Sierra Nevada in California and is from a few days to a week long.  I carry a light to mid-weight load, use a tent, stove and hiking poles.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Shot Bloks">>Manufacturer: Clif Bar & Co.
      Year of Manufacture: 2011
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.clifbar.com" LINK TEXT = "http://www.clifbar.com">>
      MSRP: Not Listed
      Listed Weight: 60 g of Bloks per package
      Measured Weight: 2.6 oz (74 g) in package
      Flavors Available: Black Cherry, Cran Razz, Lemon Lime, Margarita, Mountain Berry, Orange, Strawberry, Tropical Punch
      I've tried: All except Tropical Punch
      Caffeine: Black Cherry (50 mg), Orange (25 mg), Tropical Punch (25 mg)
      Salt: Margarita (3x the others: 210 mg per serving); 2 servings per package
      Clif Shot Bloks are a package of 6 individual bite-sized pieces of gummy semi-solid blocks.  Due to the carbohydrate content they are good for pre-workout or for use during a workout.  Each package contains 3 servings of 100 calories, 70 mg of sodium (except Margarita flavor which contains 210 mg) and 20 mg of potassium.  Three of the flavors contain caffeine.  They contain no animal products and are thus vegan-friendly.  They are not certified kosher.
      The package is what Clif calls a Fastpak.  It is sleek without extra space and allows me to open the end and squeeze out one block at a time.
      Ingredients:
      The nutrition information varies slightly for each flavor but each package has 4.5 grams of fat, 270 calories and 20 g of protein.  They contain between 46 - 49 % organic ingredients.  Here's an example:
      Black Cherry:
      Ingredients: Organic Brown Rice Syrup, Organic Evaporated Cane Juice, Organic Brown Rice Syrup Solids, Pectin, Citric Acid, Green Tea Extract, Colored With Black Carrot Juice Concentrate, Natural Flavor, Organic Sunflower Oil, Carnauba Wax.

      FIELD USE

      In my continuing quest to add variety to my backpacking diet, I decided to try Clif's Shot Bloks.  I'm generally not a fan of hard candy, jelly beans or gummy worms, but I have found that while backpacking I appreciate the quick burst of carbs and fun flavors of Jelly Bellies.  Clif's Shot Bloks give me a similar sensation since they have several fruity flavors and an interesting texture.   I used them on several day hikes and backpacking trips to give a quick energy boost.  Overall I've consumed them on 5 backpacking trips for a total of 24 days and on multiple day hikes and mountain bike rides.

      Backpacking:
      Western States Trail, Sierra Nevada, California; 3 days; 18 mi (30 km); 1,800 to 4,365 ft (549 to 1,330 m) elevation; 45 to 72 F (7 to 22 C)
      Mumford Bar Trail, Sierra Nevada, California; 2 days; 13 mi (21 km); 2,640 to 5,360 ft (805 to 1634 m) elevation; 53 to 90 F (12 to 32 C)

      Desolation Wilderness, Sierra Nevada, California; 3 days; 19.5 mi (31.4 km); 6,560 to 8,220 ft (2,000 to 2,505 m) elevation; 40 to 80 F (4 to 27 C)

      Wonderland Trail, Mount Rainier National Park, Washington; 10 days; 100 mi (161 km); 2,600 to 7,200 ft (792 to 2,195 m) elevation; 32 to 62 F (0 to 17 C)
      Sequoia National Park, Sierra Nevada, California: 6 days, 60 miles (97 km); 6,700 to 11,600 ft (2,042 to 3,536 m) elevation; 38 to 84 F (3 to 29 C)
      I try to limit my caffeine intake so that when I do use caffeine it is effective against headaches.  So, I generally opted for the non-caffeinated Bloks (CranRazz, Lemon-Lime, Mountain Berry and Strawberry).  I also consumed the Black Cherry and Orange occasionally (shared).  I typically don't like fruit punch flavored items, so I never tried Tropical Punch.  I used Margarita a few times on really strenuous outings.
      Taste:
      The first flavor I tried was Lemon-Lime which I liked but it isn't the most exciting flavor.  The berry flavors were all good and I didn't really come out with a favorite among them.  They all have that sweet and tart combination.  I like the Black Cherry and Orange flavors a bit better than the berry flavors but since these both have caffeine, I didn't eat them often.  My all-time favorite was Margarita.  I was hesitant to try it since salt isn't generally something that I want to add to my diet, but on a long strenuous day I finally pulled this one out.  I love it.  Since buttered popcorn is my favorite jelly bean flavor, I guess this isn't too surprising.  I'm just more of a fan of salty foods than of sweet ones.  I reserve this for hot days with a lot of exertion but I appreciate the boost of electrolytes when I need them.
      Texture and Color:
      The texture is a softer version of a gummy bear or gummy worm.  It is easy to chew but can also be left in the mouth to dissolve (for those patient enough for this).  My husband can have his for 20 minutes or more while mine seem to only last seconds.  I think that I prefer the pleasure of chewing to give me satisfaction of enjoying and savoring the flavor.
      Packaging, Convenience & Results:
      I typically consumed a Blok when I needed an energy boost to get me up that last push of elevation or for another hour until something more substantial could be consumed.  I liked that they provided an easy way for me to keep my blood sugar constant without having to stop for frequent snacks.
      I found the packaging to be very convenient.  They fit in my pants pocket or in my pack hip pocket so that I could easily access one during activity.  The FastPak design makes it easy to eat one at a time or to share them with my hiking partners.
      The only downside for me is that when opening the package a small piece completely detaches making a small piece of trash.  This is fine at home, but I find that on the trail very small pieces of trash get inadvertently dropped causing me to litter at times despite my best intentions.

      SUMMARY

      The Clif Shot Bloks are a convenient and compact way to carry and consume quick energy without having to stop hiking.

      THEY GOT IT RIGHT

      Good taste especially Margarita
      Great packaging
      Quick, convenient energy boost
      Good flavor variety for caffeine-free versions

      NEED IMPROVEMENT

      Opening package can leave a small piece of trash

      SIGNATURE

      Nancy Griffith

      Copyright 2011.  All rights reserved.

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 20, 2011

        Editors Team Director
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 24, 2011
          We have to stop meeting this way Nancy. Oh yeah, I'm an editor huh? OK, we can keep it up.

          Another nice review. Once the edit is made it can go to:
          Reviews > Food > Energy Bars and Drinks > Clif Shot Bloks
          Ray

          *** I decided to try Clif's Shot Bloks. <snip>. Clif's Shot Bloks give me a similar sensation

          Edit: really there should not be an apostrophe as the proper name is Clif Shot Bloks. Maybe use "the Clif Shot Bloks" instead. (Up to you)

          *** My all-time favorite was Margarita.

          Comment: mine too
        • Nancy Griffith
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 29, 2011
            Hi Ray,

            Thanks for the edits (also on the Sugoi Beanie).  Yeah, we actually do need to meet more often like this.  It would mean that I'm catching up on my ORs!

            I've made the changes, uploaded and deleted the test files.

            See you again.

            Nancy