OR- Sugoi Fino Therm Beanie- Nancy Griffith

  • Nancy Griffith
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 13 8:12 AM
      Hi OR Editors,
      I've posted an owner review for my favorite beanie to the test folder.  Thanks for checking it out.
      Here's the text and link.
      October 12, 2011
       NAME: Nancy Griffith
      EMAIL: bkpkrgirlATyahooDOTcom
      AGE: 45
      LOCATION: Northern California, USA
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 6" (1.68 m)
      WEIGHT: 130 lb (59.00 kg)
       My outdoor experience began in high school with involvement in a local canoeing/camping group called Canoe Trails.  The culmination was a 10-day canoe voyage through the Quebec wilds.  I've been backpacking since my college days in Pennsylvania.  I have completed all of the Appalachian Trail in Georgia, Tennessee and North Carolina.  My typical trip now is in the Sierra Nevada in California and is from a few days to a week long.  I carry a light to mid-weight load, use a tent, stove and hiking poles.
       <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Sugoi Beanie"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Photo courtesy of Sugoi">>Manufacturer: Sugoi
      Year of Manufacture: 2009
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.sugoi.com/usa" LINK TEXT = "http://www.sugoi.com/usa">>
      MSRP: $22 US
      Listed Weight: Not listed
      Measured Weight: 1.3 oz (37 g)
      One Size Available
      Colors Available: Apple (green), Laguna (bright blue), Marine (blue), Matador (red), Black
      Mine is Marine
       The Sugoi FinoTherm Beanie is an insulated cap with no brim.  The FinoTherm fabric is a 6.50 ounce/square yard (221 gram/square meter) 100% polyester.  The interior is fleece-lined.   The beanie is wind resistant and is supposed to keep body heat in while allowing sweat vapor out.
       I have worn this beanie on 5 backpacking trips and 6 snowshoe hikes for a total of approximately 26 days or nights of use
      Wonderland Trail, Mount Rainier National Park, Washington; 10 days; 100 mi (161 km); 2,600 to 7,200 ft (792 to 2,195 m) elevation; 32 to 62 F (0 to 17 C); clear to foggy to downpour conditions
       Point Reyes National Seashore, California: 3 days; 21 mi (34 km); 0 to 1,407 ft (429 m); 40 to 55 F (4 to 13 C); partly cloudy to heavy rainstorm
       Ohlone Trail, Diablo Range, Northern California; 3 days; 30 mi (48 km); 390 to 3,800 ft (119 to 1,158 m); 36 to 60 F (2 to 16 C); clear to cloudy with breezy to windy conditions
      Loon Lake Rubicon Trail, Sierra Nevada, California; 10 mi (16 km); 6,327 to 6,700 (1,928 to 2,040 m); 38 to 65 F (3 to 18 C); clear conditions
       Sequoia National Park, Sierra Nevada, California: 6 days, 60 miles (97 km); 38 to 84 F (3 to 29 C); 6,700 to 11,600 ft (2,042 to 3,536 m) elevation.
      Loon Lake, Orion Trail, Sierra Nevada, California; 4.0 mi (6.4 km); 6,327 to 6,800 ft (1,928 to 2,073 m); 38 to 48 F (3 to 9 C); cloudy to breezy conditions
       Echo Lake, Sierra Nevada, California: 5 mi (8 km); 7,300 to 8,000 ft (2,225 to 2,438 m); 33 to 40 F (0.5 to 4 C); deep snow conditions; partly sunny; up to 25 mph (40 kph) wind gusts
       Loon Lake, Sierra Nevada, California: 5.8 mi (9.3 km); 6,327 to 6,700 ft (1,928 to 2,040 m); 35 to 55 F (2 to 13 C); deep snow conditions; sunny
       Sierra at Tahoe, Sierra Nevada, California: 3.5 mi (5.6 km); 6,600 to 6,800 ft (2,012 to 2,073 m); 27 to 30 F (-3 to -1 C); deep powder conditions; light to heavy snow
       Yosemite National Park, California; 2 mi (3 km); 4,000 ft (1,220 m); 24 to 31 F (-4 to -0.5 C); deep fresh powder conditions; partly sunny
       Dewey Point, Yosemite National Park, California; 8 mi (12.6 km);  7,250 to 7,385 ft (2,210 to 2,251 m); 18 to 24 F (-8 to -4 C); clear conditions; 5 feet (1.5 m) of fresh powder!
       <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Snowshoeing">>For backpacking I mainly used the beanie in camp on cool evenings and mornings and also wore it at night for sleeping.  I occasionally used it on cold days while hiking but only for shorter periods.  For snowshoeing I wore it all day on colder hikes and off-and-on on warmer days.
      The Fino Therm beanie is just the right weight and warmth level for me.  It is great on cool evenings and mornings to provide enough warmth to take off the chill without being too warm.  For winter activities it is also perfect for providing warmth and some protection from the elements without making me too hot while exerting myself.
      The beanie breathes very well so that I never feel hot and sweaty while snowshoeing.  I don't have to worry about my hair being wet when I take it off thus causing me to get chilled on snowy days.  It provides some protection from the elements but certainly is not waterproof or windproof.  In most conditions though including a light misty rain or mild winds, it provides enough protection.
      The fleece interior is quite cozy without it being too warm or heavy.  It isn't a thick layer of fleece, so the weight of the beanie is identical to a very light headsock that I used to carry.  The beanie is much more comfortable (and stylish) than the headsock.
      I find myself packing this beanie on any backpacking trip that has any chance of cooler nighttime temperatures and I always throw it in my daypack for snowshoe hikes.  It is light enough that it is worth carrying even if I don't get to use it.
       The only negative I can think of is that I have to fold the brim up above my eyes because it is too long.  Then if I fold the brim, it has trouble staying folded unless I also fold up the back.  But if I fold up the back it is a little too short to keep me covered adequately.  The beanie is only sold in one size, so it just doesn't fit me perfectly but it is entirely workable.
       Light weight
      Perfect amount of warmth...not too hot
      Only sold in one size
       Nancy Griffith
      Copyright 2011.  All rights reserved.

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 14 4:13 PM

        Editors Team Director
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 24 5:16 PM
          Hi Nancy,

          Well I'm not sure if you have enough use listed with this hat… ;-) OK, you do. Nice job, just a couple edits for you and then it can go to:

          Reviews > Clothing > Hats > Sugoi FinoTherm Beanie

          *** Manufacturer's Website: http://www.sugoi.com/usa

          EDIT: drop the /usa from the URL to just give the top level

          ***The Fino Therm beanie is just the right weight and warmth level for me.

          EDIT: FinoTherm (no space)