OR-Montbell U.L Thermawrap Jacket-Cheryl McMurray

  • Cheryl Mcmurray
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2011
      Here's an OR. The url is http://tinyurl.com/3vbqxxx
      Thanks in advance for the edits,
      Cheryl

      MONTBELL U.L. THERMAWRAP JACKET MEN'S
      Owner Review By Cheryl McMurray
      SEPTEMBER 30, 2011

      PERSONAL BIOGRAPHY

      Name: Cheryl McMurray
      Age: 52
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5 ft 8 in (173 cm)
      Weight: 145 lb (66.6 kg)
      Chest measurement: 38 in (97 cm)
      Arm length: 24 in (61 cm) from wrist to arm joint
      Waist: 33 in (84 cm)
      Hips: 41 in (104 cm)
      Email Address: cherylmcmurray2ATgmailDOTcom
      City, State, Country: Garden Grove, California, U.S.

      BACKPACKING BACKGROUND

      I've been backpacking and hiking for four years, mostly on weekends year around. Overnight trips are usually three day, two night trips in the Eastern Sierras with 32 lb to 40 lb (15 kg to 18 kg) loads depending on the season. One class two rock climb with a day pack is common. Day hikes are 10-15 mi (16 km to 24 km) in the San Bernardino and San Gabriel Mountains with loads of 15 lb to 20 lb (7 km to 9 km). I'm a tent style camper and have experienced snow, freezing temperatures, winds (once was gale force), light rain, but mostly fair weather so far.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Montbell
      Manufacturer Website: www.montbell.us
      Year of Manufacture: 2009
      Listed Weight: 8.8 oz (250 gm)
      Actual Weight: 8.8 oz (2.50 gm)
      Size: Medium Men's
      Size Measurements: Chest 38 in (97 cm) to 40 in (102 cm), sleeve 34 in (86 cm), waist 31 in (79 cm) to 33 in (84 cm)
      Color: Dark Navy
      MSRP: $145.00 US

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      The Montbell U.L. Thermawrap jacket is a synthetic light weight jacket that is very compactable, wind and water resistant. The material which is 15-denier Ballistic Airlight calendered nylon, is very soft and quiet when moving The filling is Exceloft synthetic and although very light, it claims to be very warm.

      FEATURES

      The Thermawrap jacket came with a very light, small stuff sack made of the same material and color as the outer shell. The jacket is very soft with a minimalistic design featuring two fairly deep hand pockets (without zippers) along with cuffs and hem that use wedge shaped stretch panels to help customize the fit. The one way front zipper comes all the way up to the top of the micro-fleece lined collar and the jacket will compact down to 4.3 in (11 cm) x 8.3 in (21 cm) in its stuff sack.

      Jacket with stuff sack
      In stuff sack next to 33 oz (1 l) bottle
      Jacket with stuff sack
      In stuff sack

      Micro fleece lined collar Wedge shaped panel at waist and arm cuffs
      Fleece lined collar
      Stretch panels

      FIT

      The measurements of the men's medium jacket seemed to fit me better than a women's large so that is why I chose the men's version. It's not a perfect fit as the waist/hip area is a little snug but the elastic panels in the jacket allows the jacket to move with me without feeling tight. The sleeves are nice and roomy but are a little long, however, I'd rather they be too long than too short. I always wear a baselayer underneath and prefer room for a light fleece pullover or jacket as well and the size of this jacket enables me to do that.

      Jacket how it fits on me
      Fit

      FIELD TESTING

      I have used this jacket over the last 3 years on no less than 15 backpacking trips in the Eastern Sierras, San Gabriel Mts and San Bernardino Mts, all in California. The temperatures that I have encountered with the jacket have ranged from 28 F (-2 C) to 45 F (7 C) with elevations from 6,000 ft (1,830 m) to 11,000 ft (3,350 m). I have included below my experience with the jacket on 3 of those backpacking trips. I also carry the jacket on all of my 3 season day hikes for potential use on summits if the winds are blowing and as an emergency jacket in case of an unplanned bivy overnight. I am happy to report that the latter has never happened yet.

      SOME SPECIFIC LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      Location: Round Valley, San Jacinto Mountians, Southern California
      Type of trip: Snow camping trip
      Elevation: 9,200 ft (2,800 m) to 10,600 ft (3,230 m)
      Temperature: 35 F (2 C) to 55 F (13 C)
      Conditions: Cool and breezy at camp and cold and windy on the summit

      Location: Dry Lake, San Bernardino Mts in Southern California
      Type of trip: Late summer trip
      Elevation: 9,100 ft (2,775 m)
      Temperature: 28 F (-2 C) to 60 F (16 C)
      Conditions: Sunny, cold mornings

      Location: Hungry Packer Lake, Eastern Sierras near Bishop, California
      Type of trip: Late summer trip
      Elevation: 11,000 ft (3,350 m)
      Temperature: 39 F (4 C) to 70 F (21 C)
      Conditions: Sunny, partly cloudy, cool evenings, colder mornings

      During the Round Valley trip I left my larger down jacket at home and opted to test this jacket in light winter conditions. I was expecting a low temperature in the high 20's F (-2 C) but it never actually got down to freezing. I had a reading of 38 F (3 C) inside my tent in the morning so I knew it was slightly colder than that outside the tent. I first used the jacket when I sat down to dinner with a light wool base layer, light fleece pullover, and then the Thermawrap jacket over that. It kept me comfortable until the sun began to set then I needed to add an outer shell over it. I still felt a little chill but was not uncomfortable. As I got ready to crawl into my sleeping bag, I noticed how nice and easy this jacket was to put on and take off due to its less bulk and weight. In the morning, I put the jacket on right away and within a few seconds my body heated the jacket up and I crawled out of my tent. From this point, I began to see how well the jacket worked. Heat generated from the slightest movement was retained and when I was doing more than moderate work I needed to unzip the front a little as it was getting too warm. I started off for a snowshoe day hike but left the jacket compressed in my pack until I was at the summit. After reaching the summit I immediately put the jacket on due to the winds and stayed very warm not feeling any of the wind affects. I kept the jacket on for the descent thinking that I would be using less energy but even with moderate effort I became overheated and had to put it back in the pack. I found on this trip that it worked well at camp and on the peak summit when I wasn't generating a lot of body heat.

      Breakfast at 5 am

      Breakfast at 5 am

      The jacket was used in the evenings and mornings on the other two trips. The temperatures drop quickly once the sun goes down so this jacket is always on after 6 pm. I always wear a zippered fleece hoody underneath and find it keeps me warm down to about 40 F (4 C) in the evenings. I have now taken to sleeping in the jacket with the fleece hoody underneath while in my sleeping bag and it does help me sleep warmer as I tend to sleep on the cold side. I'm always up around 4:30 am ready to stargaze and make breakfast so I do encounter the coldest part of the day. I am able to sit outside with just the fleece and Thermawrap jacket on with a temperature of 35 F (2 C) or higher. It got down to 28 F (-2 C) one of the mornings and due to some week long thunderstorms before my trip, the ground and consequently the air was very moist, making it feel colder. I added a light shell over the Thermawrap and that combined with two cups of coffee made me feel very comfortable.

      Evening at Dry Lake
      Action shot. Freezing temperature
      Evening at Dry Lake
      Action shot. Below freezing temps

      I bring the jacket on every 3 season day hike in case the weather and winds get cold or I have to do an unplanned bivy (so far I've escaped that fate). It packs down so small and with a weight of under 9 oz (255 gm) is hardly noticed in my day pack. I do many day hikes up to 10,000 ft (3,050 m) at Mt Baldy in the San Gabriel Mts and often the winds are strong at the summit, making it pretty cold when I want to take some time and just enjoy the views up there. This jacket has come in handy on many of those occasions and is so easy to get out and put on. The manufacturer states that the material is water resistant. I have not had this jacket in any light rain or mist but it does bead up when water droplets are put on it.

      WASHING/DURABILITY

      The washing instructions for the jacket are to machine wash and tumble dry on a regular setting. Since I have been using it, I've only washed the jacket about 4 times. I usually use a delicate cycle for both washing and tumble drying and it washes up really nicely.

      The only possible abuse that the jacket has been exposed to is leaning up against rocks or tree trunks during dinner and breakfast. Although the material appears delicate, I've had no issues with snags or tears. The color has remained the same as the first day I used it and the seams are still holding up very well.

      WHAT I LIKE

      Size, weight and compacted size
      Softness of the material
      Ease of putting it on and taking it off
      Will keep me warm down to 35 F (2 C) with a fleece layer underneath
      Adds warmth to my sleeping bag when sleeping in the jacket

      WHAT I DISLIKE

      Expensive

      SUMMARY

      The Montbell U.L. Thermawrap jacket has become a staple on my 3 season backpacking and day hiking trips. It has handled temperatures as low as 28 F (-2 C) with a fleece layer underneath and because it is so light, I never have to decide if I want to take it or not. It always goes. It is somewhat expensive but I think the durability and quality of the jacket can justify spending the money. I do recommend this jacket.

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 9, 2011

        Editors Team Director
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 10, 2011
          Hi Cheryl,

          Thanks for the OR, your edits will follow. Once made you may upload to:

          Reviews > Clothing > Jackets > MontBell UL Thermawrap Jacket

          Be sure to highlight the Owner Review button and please delete your test version from the Test folder.

          Ray

          ***Manufacturer: Montbell

          EDIT: MontBell Co (spelling)

          ***Listed Weight: 8.8 oz (250 gm)

          EDIT: I see the listed weight as 9.3 oz in Medium

          Oh crud, I just noticed that this is an older version. The latest version is made of different material (12 denier rip-stop Ballistic Airlight nylon) As I can still find a lot of this version for sale I will go ahead and keep going with it. Please explain that there is a current version of the jacket that differs slightly from yours.

          *** I also carry the jacket on all of my 3 season day hikes

          EDIT: 3-season

          ***Location: Round Valley, San Jacinto Mountians,

          EDIT: Mountains

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 10, 2011
            Done. Thanks Ray