REPOST-Owner Review-Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2

  • alexander legg
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 15, 2011
      Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2 trail runners
      Owner Review by Alex Legg
      September 14, 2011

      Reviewer Information:

      Name:  Alex Legg
      Age:  29
      Gender:  Male
      Height:  6'4" (1.9 m)
      Weight:  195 lbs (88 kg)
      Email address:  alexlegg2@...
      City, State, Country:  Tucson, Arizona, USA

      Backpacking Background:
      I grew up backpacking in the Rockies.  I hike ranges near Tucson, Arizona during winter, Colorado during summer.  I carry a light pack, mostly water.  I tend to camp with a tarp whenever possible to reduce the weight of my two person tent.  Primarily, I do day hikes, but I am known to spend 5 days out.  Temperatures range from extreme winter to 100 F (38 C) , and elevation from 2000' (600 m) to 14,000 (4,300 m).   I bag a mountain every weekend, and walk my dogs through deep sand and overgrown mesquite trees in our local washes.

      Product Information and Specifications:

      Manufacturer:  Salomon
      Year of Manufacture:  2011
      Listed weight:  32 0z (907 g)
      Weight as delivered:  30 oz  (850 g) each
      Length:  13.5" (34 cm)
      Width:  4.5" (11 cm)
      Size:  US Mens 13
      Available sizes:  US Mens 7, 7.5, 8, 8.5, 9, 9.5, 10, 10.5, 11, 11.5, 12, 13
      Color:  Grey and Black, Yellow trim.
      Available Colors:  Blue and Grey, Red trim; All Black, Grey trim; Blue and Black, Grey trim; Orange and Red, Grey trim.
      MSRP:  N/A

      Product Description:

      The Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2 trail runners are a lightweight, breathable, and stable trail running shoe that can handle most anything except water.  They have a Quick-Fit lacing system that tightens around my foot in a way conventional laces cant.  The reason for this is an extra point of contact where the laces are pulled in from the outer side of my big toe.  Once tightened, the laces can be easily tucked into the pocket on the tongue.  The laces tighten similar to a stuff bag or back pack.  The hardened rubber toe is no comparison to that of a boot, but does offer a way to minimally protect the toes while running on a very lightweight shoe.  An important factor for me considering the excessively rocky terrain that dominates many of the desert mountains near Tucson.  I especially like the breathable mesh lining which I can feel a breeze through on the hot Arizona days.  The soles have the Salomon logo, and are multi colored.

      I was surprised at the amount of traction, having never walked on a Salomon sole before.  The soles are soft and flexible.  These shoes fit me like a glove.  They take absolutely no time to break in and are extremely comfortable.  They have great traction, and can be worn as an every day shoe.  I always wear thin ankle socks with no discomfort.

      Field Conditions:

      I initially bought the Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2 trail running shoes the day before a hike up Pikes Peak in Colorado Springs, Colorado.  This was an all day trip up to 14,110' (4,301m) covering 26 miles (49 km) round trip.  It was a warm day with temperatures ranging from 55 F (13 C) before the sun came up, to 75 F (24 C) by mid afternoon.  No rain this day, and minimal snow near the summit.

      I then took the shoes to stay with family just outside Roosevelt National Forest in Lyons, Colorado.  I spent 3 weeks bagging peaks and exploring canyons.  Much of the terrain covered was on wild game trails and old mining trails.  The elevation ranged from 5,000' (1,524 m) to 11,500' (3,505 m).  Temperatures ranged from 45 F (25 C) to 90 F (50 C).  When the rain came I found myself wishing I had a waterproof shoe.  Wet grass and breathable mesh do not mix well.  My socks were quickly drenched and my feet got cold.  Luckily there was no snow.

      When I got back to Arizona I was quick to take the drive to Mt Wrightson, the highest peak nearby standing at 9,453' (2,881 m).  It was a beautiful day with monsoon weather in the morning, bringing much needed rain and a cool  65 F (36.1 C) temperature.  As the day wore on the heat crept up on me at 85 F (29 C). This trail gains 4,033' (1,229 m) one way.  A steep climb for only a 10.8 mile (17 km) round trip.  This is a rocky and difficult trail at times.  I was impressed at the sturdy nature of the Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2 trail runners.

      Almost daily, I venture into nearby washes in Tucson with my dogs.  I walk on a very sandy riverbed amidst heavy growth of mesquite bushes.  Although there is literally no elevation gain, staying steady at 2,398' (731 m), the heat has been excruciating, remaining above 100 F (38 C) well into the evening.

      Performance:

      Over the past four months, I have easily put a few hundred miles on the Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2 trail running shoes.  I found that they preformed great as long as they didn't get wet.  They are an ideal shoe for the hot summer months in Tucson.  The Quick-Fit lacing system has far outweighed my initial predictions.  I found that it takes no time whatsoever to loosen up the laces on an easy section of trail, letting my foot relax for a few moments before quickly tightening them again to continue up the steep incline ahead.  There is no way I can tie my conventional shoe laces faster than I can tighten these.  Literally in mid step, I can pull them from the pocket, clamp down on the plastic handle, and stuff them back into the pocket.  I also found that the soles of the shoes held their own on everything from slick rock, to snow, to gravel.  They handled the terrain commandingly whether on or off trail, or while trying to avoid getting wet and
      rock hopping.  These shoes took zero time to break in, and I can hardly tell that they are on my feet.  The weight of the Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2 trail running shoe is the lightest of any shoe I have ever worn.  At this point there is still little to no wear on the shoes except for a few scratches on the outer sole that are perfectly acceptable.

      I have been a "Boot guy" my entire life.  I feel my ignorance of trail runners has cost me years of unnecessary work.  Sure, boots are important if I'm trudging through mud and snow for ten days while carrying 60 lb (27 kg) on my back, but all the day hikes and peak bagging that I have done could have been so much easier...  1 lb (0.45 kg) on my feet is like 5 lb (2 kg) on my back.  I am at this point totally enamored with this shoe.

      The Salomon XA 3D Ultra 2 trail running shoes are basically the best thing I have ever put on my feet.  Super lightweight, breathable and sturdy.  I couldn't ask for a better shoe.  I have been wearing them exclusively for about four months now with the only downfall being when they get wet and water saturates my socks.

      Pros:
      1.  Lightweight
      2.  Breathable
      3.  Quick-Fit laces are awesome

      Cons:
      1.  Not going to last like a backpacking boot.
      2.  After 20 miles or so, the lightweight feature becomes a burden as I can feel every rock under my foot.
      3.  Not waterproof.

    • Ray
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 15, 2011
        OK Alex,

        This looks very nice. I just find a couple minor edits. If you can make them and then post a corrected HTML version in the test folder.

        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/

        and I will do a final check there. If it is all good I will give you a permanent folder to upload the review to.

        Ray

        *** They have a Quick-Fit lacing system that tightens around my foot in a way conventional laces cant.

        EDIT: can't

        *** They have great traction, and can be worn as an every day shoe.

        Edit: everyday

        ***Over the past four months, I have easily put a few hundred miles on the Salomon

        EDIT: need the metric conversion for the distance

        *** I found that they preformed great as long as they didn't get wet.

        EDIT: performed

        ***They are an ideal shoe for the hot summer months in Tucson.

        EDIT: qualify that by saying; For me they are an ideal shoe for the hot summer months in Tucson.
      • alex
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 15, 2011
          Ray,
          Please excuse my ignorance here, but what does HTML actually mean? I have a version of this OR with pictures. Is that what it means? i would be happy to post either the text version, or that with the pictures. Richard had asked me to incorporate a few pictures to further explain the lacing system. Thank you

          -Alex

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 16, 2011
            HTML is Hypertext Markup Language, the "language" that we use for documents that are posted to the BGT servers that the world reads as our reviews and reports.

            Your "version with pictures" I am sure is in the document form of your word processor, right? That needs to be converted to HTML to be able to upload.

            I sent you a link to the BGT Report Writer which is the easiest way I have ever found to turn text into HTML. It also makes placing photos easy. Check it out.

            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=RR&page=1

            As you did not know what HTML is I won't bother with talking about other options for HTML creation as they will be harder to learn/use although they do allow much more creativity.

            Ray

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 16, 2011
              Ok, thank you. Its obvious that this is the most time I have spent on a computer in years. As far as the report writer goes, I have a MAC and it says that its not compatible. Anyway. I was able to convert the OR file to HTML, but when I looked at what I uploaded there is some weird looking format going on that I have no idea how occurred. I am also lost as to how I upload the version with pictures because I do not have the option of turning a file containing pictures into an HTML. I apologize for being such a pain here man. This is all very new, and for some reason is coming to me very difficultly. Thank you for all your help, I will get this figured out yet.

              -Alex

            • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 16, 2011
                Hey Alex... There are folks here to help you. The best thing to do is ask
                for help on the BGTFileUploadHelp email list. There you will narrow your
                audience to those of interest, or ability to help. I was in the same boat
                when I started in 2002... and now am pretty good at making decent looking
                reports.

                Join the group, send an email, and you should get plenty of help...

                Jet

              • alex
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 16, 2011
                  Thank you

                  --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, jetriple@... wrote:

                  > Hey Alex... There are folks here to help you. The best thing to do is ask
                  > for help on the BGTFileUploadHelp email list. There you will narrow your
                  > audience to those of interest, or ability to help. I was in the same boat
                  > when I started in 2002... and now am pretty good at making decent looking
                  > reports.
                  >
                  > Join the group, send an email, and you should get plenty of help...

                  > Jet
                  >

                  > BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com wrote on 09/16/2011 10:33:26 AM:
                  >
                  > > Ok, thank you. Its obvious that this is the most time I have spent
                  > > on a computer in years. As far as the report writer goes, I have a
                  > > MAC and it says that its not compatible. Anyway. I was able to
                  > > convert the OR file to HTML, but when I looked at what I uploaded
                  > > there is some weird looking format going on that I have no idea how
                  > > occurred. I am also lost as to how I upload the version with
                  > > pictures because I do not have the option of turning a file
                  > > containing pictures into an HTML. I apologize for being such a pain
                  > > here man. This is all very new, and for some reason is coming to me
                  > > very difficultly. Thank you for all your help, I will get this
                  > > figured out yet.
                  > >
                  > > -Alex
                  > >

                  > > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Ray" <rayestrella@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > HTML is Hypertext Markup Language, the "language" that we use for
                  > > documents that are posted to the BGT servers that the world reads as
                  > > our reviews and reports.
                  > > >
                  > > > Your "version with pictures" I am sure is in the document form of
                  > > your word processor, right? That needs to be converted to HTML to be
                  > > able to upload.
                  > > >
                  > > > I sent you a link to the BGT Report Writer which is the easiest
                  > > way I have ever found to turn text into HTML. It also makes placing
                  > > photos easy. Check it out.
                  > > >
                  > > > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=RR&page=1
                  > > >
                  > > > As you did not know what HTML is I won't bother with talking about
                  > > other options for HTML creation as they will be harder to learn/use
                  > > although they do allow much more creativity.
                  > > >
                  > > > Ray

                  > > mean? I have a version of this OR with pictures. Is that what it
                  > > means? i would be happy to post either the text version, or that
                  > > with the pictures. Richard had asked me to incorporate a few
                  > > pictures to further explain the lacing system. Thank you

                  > > can make them and then post a corrected HTML version in the test folder.

                  > > give you a permanent folder to upload the review to.

                  > > my foot in a way conventional laces cant.

                  > shoe.

                  > > miles on the Salomon

                  > wet.

                  > > for the hot summer months in Tucson.
                  > > > > >

                  > > ------------------------------------
                  > >
                  > > To read our reviews, please visit http://www.backpackgeartest.org/Yahoo!
                  > > Groups Links

                • Brett Haydin
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 16, 2011
                    Alex,

                    You may want to check out some HTML editors out there. KompoZer is one that
                    is just like typing a document, but you can "create" an html file with the
                    click of a button.

                    http://kompozer.net/ is the website where you can get it. I believe it is
                    MAC compatible as well (from what I read).

                    For more help on HTML, You may also want to join the BGTWeb group list.
                    People there are just as friendly and they can give you all sorts of help.
                    Thanks for the upload help info Jet, I didn't know about that one!

                    http://kompozer.net/ is that link.

                    <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=RR&page=1> &page=1

                    <mailto:BackpackGearTest%40yahoogroups.com> , "alex" <alexlegg2@> wrote:

                    > > Ray,
                    > > Please excuse my ignorance here, but what does HTML actually mean? I
                    have a version of this OR with pictures. Is that what it means? i would be
                    happy to post either the text version, or that with the pictures. Richard
                    had asked me to incorporate a few pictures to further explain the lacing
                    system. Thank you

                    > > -Alex
                    > >
                    > > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com
                    <mailto:BackpackGearTest%40yahoogroups.com> , "Ray" <rayestrella@> wrote:

                    > > > OK Alex,
                    > > >
                    > > > This looks very nice. I just find a couple minor edits. If you can
                    make them and then post a corrected HTML version in the test folder.

                    > > > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/
                    > > >
                    > > > and I will do a final check there. If it is all good I will give you a
                    permanent folder to upload the review to.

                    > > > Ray
                    > > >

                    > > > *** They have a Quick-Fit lacing system that tightens around my foot
                    in a way conventional laces cant.

                    > > > EDIT: can't
                    > > >

                    > > > *** They have great traction, and can be worn as an every day shoe.
                    > > >
                    > > > Edit: everyday
                    > > >

                    > > > ***Over the past four months, I have easily put a few hundred miles on
                    the Salomon

                    > > > EDIT: need the metric conversion for the distance
                    > > >

                    > > > *** I found that they preformed great as long as they didn't get wet.
                    > > >
                    > > > EDIT: performed
                    > > >

                    > > > ***They are an ideal shoe for the hot summer months in Tucson.
                    > > >
                    > > > EDIT: qualify that by saying; For me they are an ideal shoe for the
                    hot summer months in Tucson.

                  • alex
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 16, 2011
                      I think I may have gotten it figured out. Thank you very much!

                      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Brett Haydin <bhaydin@...> wrote:

                      > Alex,
                      >

                      > You may want to check out some HTML editors out there. KompoZer is one that
                      > is just like typing a document, but you can "create" an html file with the
                      > click of a button.
                      >

                      > http://kompozer.net/ is the website where you can get it. I believe it is
                      > MAC compatible as well (from what I read).
                      >

                      > For more help on HTML, You may also want to join the BGTWeb group list.
                      > People there are just as friendly and they can give you all sorts of help.
                      > Thanks for the upload help info Jet, I didn't know about that one!
                      >

                      > http://kompozer.net/ is that link.

                    • Ray
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 16, 2011
                        That is good Alex.

                        I am going to be backpacking this weekend, so go ahead and get it uploaded to the test folder and take a look at it once you get it there. Make sure that you like the way it looks and that the clickable links work. (Manufacturer's URL) You can always delete your own files from the test folder and upload a new one if you find you need/want to.

                        I will get to as soon as I can Monday.

                        Have a great weekend,

                        Ray
                      • alex
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 20, 2011
                          Hey Ray,

                          It looks like I finally got the link working, had to get some assistance from the help group. Its ready for you to look at when you have the time. Thank you!

                          -Alex Legg

                          > That is good Alex.
                          >
                          > I am going to be backpacking this weekend, so go ahead and get it uploaded to the test folder and take a look at it once you get it there. Make sure that you like the way it looks and that the clickable links work. (Manufacturer's URL) You can always delete your own files from the test folder and upload a new one if you find you need/want to.
                          >
                          > I will get to as soon as I can Monday.
                          >
                          > Have a great weekend,
                          >
                          > Ray

                        • Ray
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 20, 2011
                            OK Alex, looks like you got it.

                            While you can get by with your first review without photos, the next one (and all test reports) require them so think about that down the road. Now that I have the HTML I see a couple more edits I am sorry to say. You can delete the HTML in the test folder and put a new corrected one in for me to check. If it is good I have the permanent spot waiting. ;-)

                            Reost here when ready.

                            Ray

                            ***Email address: alexlegg2@...

                            Comment: while it is OK to have your address like this take it from me you will regret it once people start reading your review and the email collection bots start spamming you. How about something like alexlegg2 AT yahoo DOT com?

                            *** Primarily, I do day hikes, but I am known to spend 5 days out. Temperatures range from extreme winter to 100 F (38 C) , and elevation

                            EDIT: delete extra space after (38 C)

                            ***Size: US Mens 13
                            ***Available sizes: US Mens 7, 7.5, 8, 8.5, 9, 9.5, 10, 10.5, 11, 11.5, 12, 13

                            EDIT: US Men's

                            ***They have great traction, and can be worn as an every day shoe.

                            Edit: everyday

                            ***It was a beautiful day with monsoon weather in the morning, bringing much needed rain and a cool 65 F (36.1 C) temperature.

                            EDIT: delete extra after "cool"

                            ***I have been a "Boot guy" my entire life.

                            EDIT: "boot guy" (no cap)
                          • alex
                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 20, 2011
                              Ok, edits done and its back up. Check it out when you get the chance. Thanks

                              -Alex

                              > OK Alex, looks like you got it.
                              >
                              > While you can get by with your first review without photos, the next one (and all test reports) require them so think about that down the road. Now that I have the HTML I see a couple more edits I am sorry to say. You can delete the HTML in the test folder and put a new corrected one in for me to check. If it is good I have the permanent spot waiting. ;-)
                              >
                              > Reost here when ready.
                              >
                              > Ray
                              >

                              > ***Email address: alexlegg2@...
                              >
                              > Comment: while it is OK to have your address like this take it from me you will regret it once people start reading your review and the email collection bots start spamming you. How about something like alexlegg2 AT yahoo DOT com?
                              >

                              > *** Primarily, I do day hikes, but I am known to spend 5 days out. Temperatures range from extreme winter to 100 F (38 C) , and elevation
                              >
                              > EDIT: delete extra space after (38 C)
                              >

                              > ***Size: US Mens 13
                              > ***Available sizes: US Mens 7, 7.5, 8, 8.5, 9, 9.5, 10, 10.5, 11, 11.5, 12, 13
                              >
                              > EDIT: US Men's
                              >

                              > ***They have great traction, and can be worn as an every day shoe.
                              >
                              > Edit: everyday
                              >

                              > ***It was a beautiful day with monsoon weather in the morning, bringing much needed rain and a cool 65 F (36.1 C) temperature.
                              >
                              > EDIT: delete extra after "cool"
                              >

                              > ***I have been a "Boot guy" my entire life.
                              >
                              > EDIT: "boot guy" (no cap)

                            • Ray
                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 21, 2011
                                I like the photo Alex.

                                Your link to Salomon does not work. Need to fix that.

                                ***Size: US Mens 13

                                EDIT: Men's

                                Fix those and then you can put it at:

                                Reviews > Footwear > Trail Shoes > Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2

                                Or here: http://tinyurl.com/3jqymmu