Repost: Osprey Atmos 65 - Tyler Prince

  • Tyler Prince
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31, 2011
      ________________________________
      From: richardglyon <montana.angler@...>
      To: BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, August 8, 2011 10:04 AM

      Hey Rich,

      Thanks for the edit. I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you - I broke my ankle biking a few weeks ago and am finally getting stuff back together. Looking forward to getting back on the peaks and testing some gear! Let me know if I can make any more changes. Here's the html version as attached. I'll be speaking to the tech savvy guys about uploading it on the site.

      Tyler

      Subject: [BackpackGearTest] Edit - Osprey Atmos 65 - Tyler Prince

      Tyler,

      Welcome to BackpackGearTest.org, and thanks for your Owner Review. This is an excellent start at a first OR, and I think it'll be ready to post in short order.

      Before turning to specific edits, I'd like to remind you of a few BGT rules of protocol, which will require several revisions to your draft. First, we don't allow projection – a reviewer's commenting on what others might do. Usually this involves use of the second person, "you" and "your," and you do have a couple of instances of that, as noted below. But you also speculate on a few things without the second person, usually with the preface "I imagine." You will need to revise those to limit your Review to recounting your own experience and observation.

      Second, while you have clearly used this pack often, BGT requires a summary of field conditions encountered – temperatures, weather (especially precipitation), weight of the pack's contents, and length of time in the backcountry. Given three years' use you may summarize, but do so for each of the three categories (college trip to Europe, Vermont medical training, Colorado peak bagging) you have chosen. This shouldn't be too difficult to do.

      Specific edits are at the end. I use the standard BGT format:

      EDIT (all caps) – required change
      Edit (initial cap) – suggested change or request for clarification
      Comment – just that, no change required

      After revising you need to do two things. Post the html version, with images, of the Report in the Tests/Owner Reviews folder on BackpackGearTest.org, and post the plain text version here, with "Repost," the product name, and your name in the subject line, and with a tinyurl link to the html version in the body of your message. If you have any difficulty uploading, post a note to the BGT Upload help group on Yahoo and one of our technically competent testers will assist you.

      I hope all this isn't too daunting – your draft has almost all the information needed for an Owner Review, and your writing style is good – interesting, informative, and clear. Stick with me and you'll be testing gear in no time.

      Cheers, Richard Lyon

      <<Osprey Atmos 65 Backpack [Title]>>
      EDIT: Add "Owner Review by Tyler Prince" and the date immediately under the product name.

      <<Location: Denver, CO, USA>>
      EDIT: Colorado, not CO. We have international readers who may not be familiar with the US postal abbreviations.

      <<Date: July 4, 2011>>
      EDIT: Delete this, as the date should be part of the title.

      <<Backpacking Background: >>
      EDIT: This is one of the best Background sections I've ever seen in a first OR, but you need to replace the three abbreviations, which (as above) may not be clear to non-US readers. Those are BSA (try Boy Scouts), 14er (maybe delete – "climber" is all that's needed), and EMT (emergency medical technician).

      < and am a current Paramedic and future med student, >>
      EDIT: no need to capitalize "Paramedic"

      <<3 lbs 9 oz (1.61 kg; size medium)>>
      EDIT: 3 lb [no "s" – BGT protocol]
      EDIT: Is this listed or measured? If listed, say so, and add its measured weight. BGT requires both.

      <<Size: medium
      Color: red>>
      Edit: Consider adding other sizes and colors available.

      << I purchased this bag after searching for a high capacity, lightweight
      top-loading pack capable of wearing multiple hats. >>
      EDIT: What were the multiple hats you wanted? Please describe. Maybe the "(extended hiker, weekend hiker, day hiker)." Hats you mention later?

      <<There were many attractive features including but not limited
      to hip strap pockets, >>
      Edit: It's usually called a hip belt, not hip strap.

      <<The bag has a lower pocket, which is fairly contiguous with the main
      compartment, for a sleeping bag or other large item. >>
      EDIT: "fairly contiguous" is internally inconsistent – it's contiguous or it's not. Maybe "almost contiguous."

      << Upon first glance, this compartment looks capable of carrying at least a shell, sunglasses, and some snacks.>>
      EDIT: This is projection. Replace with a description of what you've used the compartment for.

      << and a sizeable single buckle pocket on the front that I imagine would be ideal for food or dirty clothes. >>
      EDIT: More projection. Again, state what you've used it for.

      <<The materials used in this pack's construction are a mix of cordura nylon and various synthetic stretch fabrics,>>
      EDIT: "Cordura" is a trademarked item, so you need to use it exactly as the mark owner does – with a capital C.

      <<The harness system uses a unique mesh and neoprene-like combination of fabrics, which I imagined would be comfortable in hot weather.>>
      EDIT: More projection. After three years, was it comfortable in hot weather or not?

      <<The pack's internal frame is minimalistic; >>
      Edit: minimalist

      << I fit a large pair of Asics in the bottom pocket, >>
      EDIT: Another prohibition – referring to manufacturers other than the one that made the product being reviewed. "trail runners" instead of "Asics."
      Same with the references to the North Face Ion below – replace with "daypack."

      <<As previously mentioned, the lack of an included rain cover seems
      negligent, although I believe Osprey may have remedied this error in newer
      versions of this pack.>>
      Edit: Can you check and see? May be available on Osprey's website.

      <<Thus, this pack is really a 55 liter pack, with an additional 10 liters if you're
      willing to compromise dryness (this is not a huge deal if it's not hot out, or
      if the clothes you store there are quick drying). The other option is to free up some space in the main compartment by tossing your reservoir in this space – the tube will easily run out the H2O port.>>
      EDIT: The dreaded (and generally forbidden) second person. Revise to report on your own experience.

      <<If you find yourself looking for an inexpensive pack at any point, pick up one of these used. Chances are it's almost as nice as it was when it was first purchased.>>
      EDIT: Same. And the last sentence needs to be revised to reflect your experience with your pack.

    • richardglyon
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 18, 2011
        Tyler,

        Pardon my delay in responding. I can't find your reposted OR in the Tests/OR folder, and you didn't post the plain text in your message.

        Please (a) post the html version, with images, of the Report in the Tests/Owner Reviews folder on BackpackGearTest.org, and (b) post the plain text version here, with "Repost," the product name, and your name in the subject line, and (c) with a tinyurl link to the html version in the body of your message.

        Thanks,

        Richard

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Tyler Prince <wtylerprince@...> wrote:

        > ________________________________

      • Tyler Prince
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 22, 2011
          Richard,

          I downloaded Kompozer and did up my OR on that, but it still won't upload to the BGT folder online (although it works fine when I open it in a window in Chrome). My HTML doc is attached. I'm sorry for asking, but how can I fix this? I've been trying to upload this review for a while now with no luck. Hopefully I'm just missing something simple.

          Thanks for all your help,

          Tyler

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 22, 2011
            Tyler,

            Do a couple of things.

            Post your upload inquiry to our sister list, BGTUploadHelp, with particulars about what you've done - html program you're using, exact steps on uploading, error messages you are receiving, etc. There the tech-savvy folks (a group that doesn't include me) can help on the uploading procedure.

            Post the plain text of the report here, in a new message (not a reply to this one), with REPOST, the product name, and your name in the subject line.

            You'll need to figure out how to upload reports to test gear, so stick with it here and life will be much easier once the kinks are ironed out.

            Cheers, Richard