Re: REPOST: OR: Sierra Desings Utopia 15 Degree Sleeping Bag - Denver Allen

  • ben.mansfield
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 31, 2011
      Denver,

      Once you're logged in, you should be able to navigate to the
      test > Owner Reviews folder (here: http://tinyurl.com/4mfwa) and use the "upload file" link that's on the yellow bar. You have to be logged in for the links to be visible.

      Let me know what else I can do to help.

      -Ben

      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Denver Allen <denverbauter123@...> wrote:

      > I thought I got it posted but now I can't find it, perhaps I have made a mistake somewhere, I'll look into it and try to repost it or find a link.  I posted it the same day as I posted it in the email section through yahoogroups.  If you have any idea of how to help me, please send me some info.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >

      > Denver
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Denver Allen
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 10, 2011
        Here is the link by my OR posted in BGT.  At least I think it is... hopefully I succeeded this time!
        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20-%20Sierra%20Designs%20Utopia%2015%20-%20Denver%20Bauter

        Thanks,

        Denver Bauter

        ________________________________
        Once you're logged in, you should be able to navigate to the
        test > Owner Reviews folder (here: http://tinyurl.com/4mfwa) and use the "upload file" link that's on the yellow bar. You have to be logged in for the links to be visible.

        Let me know what else I can do to help.

        -Ben

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Denver Allen <denverbauter123@...> wrote:

        > I thought I got it posted but now I can't find it, perhaps I have made a mistake somewhere, I'll look into it and try to repost it or find a link.  I posted it the same day as I posted it in the email section through yahoogroups.  If you have any idea of how to help me, please send me some info.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >

        > Denver
        >

        > ________________________________

      • ben.mansfield
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 19, 2011
          Denver,

          Your OR is looking much better, thanks for uploading the HTML version.

          We'll do (hopefully only) one more edit, with the same format as before, then please REPOST one last time to the list and the HTML to the test folder. I'd normally skip this final repost but there's one edit we need to double-check. We're getting really close here, hang in there and start thinking about what you'll write your second OR about.

          Your edits are below in the same format as usual.

          ----

          ### EMAIL: Denverbauter123@...
          ### Comment: most testers 'break' their email address so that it's not easily read by spam software but that it is readable by our (human) readers... There are various mechanisms to do this, most people do something as simple as spelling out the AT and DOT. Look at a few other reports for examples.

          ### Manufacturer's Website: http://www.sierradesigns.com
          ### EDIT: This link needs to be click-able. This is the edit we need to verify. I'm not a report writer user, but I believe there's something special you need to do (the LINKS tab if memory serves correctly). If you can't figure it out post to the BGTFileUploadHelp list.

          ### It has a nice big hood with a pocket underneath to keep your camping pillow in place
          ### EDIT: I missed one... to keep 'my' or 'a' camping pillow in place...

          ### Being a 15 F degree (-9 C) bag is also helpful because it keeps me so warm at night that I don't have to layer up on the clothes at night to keep from freezing.
          ### Edit: "at night" twice... you probably only need one of them.

          ### but I just don't really get is the straps that they put on the back of the bag to hold it down to your sleeping pad
          ### EDIT: I missed another one... to hold it down to 'a' or 'my' sleeping pad

          ### Comment: For your next OR, consider including some pictures. Readers love pictures, and when you do actual test series, pictures are required so it's good practice!

          That's it... Get these few quick edits made and REPOST, let's get this thing wrapped up and posted so you can get on to OR #2!

          -Ben
        • Denver Allen
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 18, 2011
            SIERRA DESIGNS UTOPIA 15 DEGREE SLEEPING
            BY DENVER ALLEN
            OR
            August 09, 2011

            TESTER INFORMATION

            NAME: Denver Allen
            EMAIL: Denverbauter123ATyahooDOTcom
            AGE: 23
            LOCATION: Ogden, Utah, USA
            GENDER: f
            HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
            WEIGHT: 125 lb (56.70 kg)

            My husband has backpacked his whole life and has been getting me into it over the last two years.  We've done many local over night trips as well as some week long backpacking trips in the Uinta Mountains.  We spend a lot of time camping in the summers and in winter we stay in yurts to get to the really good skiing lines.  I usually carry the lighter pack mostly clothes, food, and water while my husband carries the bulk necessities (ie tent etc...)  I'm really loving it even though it still kicks my butt each time I go.

            PRODUCT INFORMATION

            Manufacturer:  Sierra Designs
            Year of Manufacture: 2010
            Manufacturer's Website: http://www.sierradesigns.com
            MSRP: US $159.95
            Listed Weight: 3 lb 9 oz / 1.6 kg
            Measured Weight: 3 lb 9 oz / 1.6 kg
            Other details: This 3-season mummy bag contains Heatsync insulation stuffing with 30D polyester lining and Micro-Ripstop shell, making it a perfect 15 F degree (-9 C) bag. The hole baffle is made with Flex technology to provide maximum comfort.  It has a nice big hood with a pocket underneath to keep a camping pillow in place.  The regular length is plenty long with some room to spare for my 5'9" (1.79 m) body, and it even has a small zippered pocket right at the opening to store keys/cellphone, etc...

            FIELD USE

            I have taken this bag camping in many situations. I've owned the bag for about a year and It's been my sleeping bag in yurts, tents, hammocks, through snowy cold winter with lows of 20 F (-7 C) and warmer summer nights of around 60 F degrees (16 C).  Because I live in Utah, most of my camping in this bag has been in an altitude range from 6,000 to 11,000 ft (1800 - 3400 m).  Also being in Utah, this bag has seen everything from clear, cloudless nights to stormy tempests of rain, snow, wind and/or lightning.  I've used it for week-long excursions as well as overnight camping near my home.  Overall I've probably spent about 40 to 50 nights in this bag.

            BACKGROUND INFORMATION

            I am a very picky sleeper, if I'm not comfortable I don't sleep well.  I am also a very active sleeper, I move a lot in my sleep so sleeping bags for me are usually a chore because I just can't stand the constricted feeling when I can't move my legs and arms well.  On top of that, I am just about the worst when it comes to thermo regulation at night.  I'm always too cold or too hot (usually more on the cold side, thus the 15 F (-9 C) degree bag).  I also use a sleeping bag often as my husband and I frequently go on quick overnight trips to make our days off seem longer as well as taking weekend camping/backpacking trips.  We do have a few long backpacking/yurt camping/back country skiing trips per year which require us to have sleeping gear that is not only comfortable but also light and small enough to be easily carried in our packs.

            THINGS I LIKE

            I really love the material that this bag is made of: it's soft and smooth and feels good to sleep in and the best part for me is that it stretches!  Not a ton of stretch but just enough so I can comfortably roll over, bend my legs, curl in a ball, straighten out, and so on as I sleep.  This is one of the most comfortable sleeping bags I have ever been in.

            Being a 15 F degree (-9 C) bag is also helpful because it keeps me so warm at night that I don't have to layer up on the clothes to keep from freezing.  The zipper is also pretty easy to access and to zip and unzip so when I get a little too warm I can just unzip it a bit to keep myself the perfect temperature.  I also love the stuffing because it is so fluffy that it adds even more comfort and padding to my already pretty comfortable sleeping pad.  A true sign of the comfort of my bag is the fact that our dog always chooses to sleep on my bag and not my husband's when we camp but whenever we're home she's always snuggled up to his legs!

            I also use a camping pillow when I backpack and most of the time when I'm not car camping (I'd always rather use my regular pillow if given the chance of course).  The problem with camping pillows is they're small and slippery and most of the time I lose them shortly after falling asleep.  The Sierra Designs Utopia bag is designed with a ridge at the opening that keeps my pillow in place and if the pillow is small enough then it can actually slide inside of the pocket that is on the underside of the head rest on the sleeping bag and it will keep it in just the right spot.  My pillow is just a little bit too big for the pocket.

            I also really like the zippered pocket for keys or cell phone or anything important that I need to keep by me at night.  It's in the right spot so it's not in my way, it's easy to get to, and the zipper keeps it all in place.

            The final thing that I really like about this bag is that it's plenty long!  I'm about 5' 9" (about 1.75 m) and I got the regular bag (not even the long) and I have plenty of room to stretch out and still be covered in the downy warmth.

            THINGS I DON'T LIKE

            Being a 15 F degree (-9 C) bag also has its drawbacks: it's light enough because of the material it's made of but when I said before that it's nice and fluffy, I really mean it's quite large!  I have a 55 L (3400 cu in) bag and it takes up about 1/3 of the space in it!  Not really a problem for overnight trips but when it comes to week long trips, the space in my pack gets a little tight and I end up strapping things to the outside to make up for it.  Once again, kind of obnoxious but since I usually go with my husband and we split our gear up among 2 packs and have a pretty good system down now, it hasn't been a huge problem.  I can definitely see, however, that if I were to go without him and had to carry all my own food, water, clothing, stove, tent, tp and all the other necessities, I could run into trouble.  This is definitely something to think about when I'm choosing which gear to pack for a trip.

            The other thing that isn't really something that I dislike, but I just don't really get is the straps that they put on the back of the bag to hold it down to my sleeping pad.  I know the straps are found on many bags, not just this one, but I just don't get them.  I've tried to use them and either they don't  really help or I just feel too tied down and I can't move enough to get comfortable.  And as I mentioned earlier I wish the pillow pocket on the back were just a bit larger although the opening holds the pillow well enough for me.

            SUMMARY

            I liked:
                   Length of the bag
                   Stretch of the fabric
                   Warmth of the insulation
                   Small zippered pocket for valuables
                   Large, brimmed hood that keeps pillow in place
                   Potential for pillow pocket if it were a bit larger
                   Padded comfort

            I disliked:
                   Size when packed takes up too much room
                   Straps on underside were unnecessary
                   Pillow pocket on underside of hood was too small for my pillow

            SIGNATURE

            Denver Allen
            Denverbauter123@...

            Copyright 2011.  All rights reserved.

          • ben.mansfield
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 24, 2011
              Denver,

              Did you also replace the old version in the test folder with this new version? The file in the OR test folder looks to be the same one as before - the manufacturer URL is still not clickable.

              I'd like to get this new file uploaded before I edit further.

              Thanks, and please let me know if you need help.

              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 25, 2011
                Hey Ben,

                I think Denver accidently uploaded her edited version to the main BGT folder instead of the test folder. I noticed it when scanning the "Recently uploaded" list.

                She'll probably need that deleted.

                Jamie D

                --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "ben.mansfield" <benmansfield27@...> wrote:

                > Denver,
                >
                > Did you also replace the old version in the test folder with this new version? The file in the OR test folder looks to be the same one as before - the manufacturer URL is still not clickable.
                >
                > I'd like to get this new file uploaded before I edit further.
                >
                > Thanks, and please let me know if you need help.
                >
                > -Ben
                >
                > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Denver Allen <denverbauter123@> wrote:
                > >

                > > SIERRA DESIGNS UTOPIA 15 DEGREE SLEEPING
                > > BY DENVER ALLEN
                > > OR
                > > August 09, 2011

              • Ray
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 26, 2011
                  --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Jamie D." <jdeben@...> wrote:

                  > Hey Ben,
                  >
                  > I think Denver accidently uploaded her edited version to the main BGT folder instead of the test folder.

                  Yeah it is here Ben: http://tinyurl.com/3sb52o6

                  If you let me know after you have grabbed a copy to edit I will delete it if you need.

                  Ray
                • ben.mansfield
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 26, 2011
                    That's it Ray. Thanks for the detective work (and to Jamie as well).

                    I've posted the edit to the list, and there is one more tweak that needs made, so please delete the version that's up there now so that we're ready when the time comes.

                    Thanks again.

                    -Ben

                    > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Jamie D." <jdeben@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hey Ben,
                    > >
                    > > I think Denver accidently uploaded her edited version to the main BGT folder instead of the test folder.
                    >
                    > Yeah it is here Ben: http://tinyurl.com/3sb52o6
                    >
                    > If you let me know after you have grabbed a copy to edit I will delete it if you need.
                    >
                    > Ray

                  • Ray
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 26, 2011
                      It is gone my friend. (I deleted his old test version too.)

                      Ray
                    • Denver Allen
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 26, 2011
                        Thanks Jamie and Ray for helping me out again.  You guys really are awesome, I'm sorry that I seem to be a handful of beginner mistakes... I'll get my own bugs worked out soon hopefully!

                        ________________________________
                        I think Denver accidently uploaded her edited version to the main BGT folder instead of the test folder. I noticed it when scanning the "Recently uploaded" list.

                        She'll probably need that deleted.

                        Jamie D

                        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "ben.mansfield" <benmansfield27@...> wrote:

                        > Denver,
                        >
                        > Did you also replace the old version in the test folder with this new version? The file in the OR test folder looks to be the same one as before - the manufacturer URL is still not clickable.
                        >
                        > I'd like to get this new file uploaded before I edit further.
                        >
                        > Thanks, and please let me know if you need help.
                        >
                        > -Ben
                        >
                        > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Denver Allen <denverbauter123@> wrote:
                        > >

                        > > SIERRA DESIGNS UTOPIA 15 DEGREE SLEEPING
                        > > BY DENVER ALLEN
                        > > OR
                        > > August 09, 2011

                      • Denver Allen
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 26, 2011

                          Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.sierradesigns.com" LINK TEXT = "Sierra Designs website">>

                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 28, 2011
                            It's no problem Denver, that's why we are here.

                            jamie