OR: Sierra Designs Utopia 15 sleeping bag - Denver Allen

  • Denver Allen
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 9, 2011
      SIERRA DESIGNS UTOPIA 15 DEGREE SLEEPING
      BY DENVER ALLEN
      OR
      August 09, 2011

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Denver Allen
      EMAIL: Denverallenrdh@...
      AGE: 23
      LOCATION: Ogden, Utah, USA
      GENDER: f
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 125 lb (56.70 kg)

      My husband has been backpacking for his whole life and has been getting me turned on to it over the last two years.  We've done many local over night trips up in the mountains as well as a couple of week long backpacking trips in the Uintas with our dog.  We love to camp in the summer and spend lots of time in yurts in the winter to get us to the really good back country lines. I usually carry the lighter pack mostly clothes, food, and water while my husband carries the bulk necessities (ie tent etc...)  I'm really loving it even though it still kicks my butt each time I go.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer:  Sierra Designs
      Year of Manufacture: 2010
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.sierradesigns.com
      MSRP: US $159.95
      Listed Weight: 3 lb. 9 oz. / 1.6 kg
      Measured Weight: 3 lb. 9 oz. / 1.6 kg
      Other details: Heatsync insulation stuffing with 30D polyester lining and Micro-Ripstop shell.  The hole baffle has Flex technology to provide maximum comfort.

      FIELD USE

      I have taken this bag camping in many situations I've owned the bag for about a year and It's been my sleeping bag in yurts, tents, hammocks, through winter and summer.  I've used it for weeklong excursions as well as over night camping near my home.  Overall I've probably spent about 40 to 50 nights in this bag.

      SUMMARY

      I am a very picky sleeper, if I'm not comfortable I don't sleep well.  I also am a very active sleeper, I move a lot in my sleep so sleeping bags for me are usually a chore because I just can't stand the constricted feeling when I can't move my legs and arms well.  On top of that, I am just about the worst when it comes to thermo regulation at night.  I'm always too cold or too hot (usually more on the cold side, thus the 15 degree bag).  I also use a sleeping bag often as my husband and I frequently go on quick over night trips to make our days off seem longer and weekend camping/backpacking trips.  We do have a few long backpacking/yurt camping/back country skiing trips per year which require us to have not only comfortable sleeping gear but also light and small so we can easily carry them in our packs.

      THINGS I LIKE

      I really love the material that this bag is made of: it's soft and smooth and feels good to sleep in and the best part for me is that it stretches!  Not a ton of stretch but just enough so I can comfortably roll over, bend my legs, curl in a ball, straighten out, and so on as I sleep.  This is one of the most comfortable sleeping bags I have ever been in.

      Being a 15 degree bag is also helpful because it keeps me so warm at night that I don't have to layer up on the clothes at night to keep from freezing.  The zipper is also pretty easy to access and to zip and unzip so when I get a little too warm I can just unzip it a bit to keep myself the perfect temperature.  I also love the stuffing because it is so fluffy that it adds even more comfort and padding to my already pretty comfortable sleeping pad.  A true sign of the comfort of my bag is the fact that our dog always chooses to sleep on my bag and not my husbands when we camp but whenever we're home she's always snuggled up to his legs!

      I also use a camping pillow when I backpack and most of the time when I'm not car camping (I'd always rather use my regular pillow if given the chance of course).  The problem with camping pillows is they're small and slippery and most of the time you lose them shortly after falling asleep.  The Sierra Designs Utopia bag is designed at the opening with a ridge that will keep your pillow in place and if your  pillow is small enough then you can actually slide it into the pocket that is on the underside of the head rest on the sleeping bag and it will keep it in just the right spot.  (my pillow is just a little bit too big for the pocket).

      I also really like the zippered pocket for keys or cell phone or anything important that you need to keep by you at night.  It's in the right spot so it's not in your way, it's easy to get to, and the zipper keeps it all in place.

      The final thing that I really like about this bag is that it's plenty long!  I'm about 5' 9" and I got the regular bag (not even the long) and I have plenty of room to stretch out and still be covered in the downy warmth.

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      Being a 15 degree bag also has it's drawbacks: it's light enough because of the material it's made of but when I said before that it's nice and fluffy, I really mean it's quite large!  I have a 55 liter bag and it takes up about 1/3 of the space in it!  Not really a problem for overnight trips but when it comes to week long trips, the space in my pack gets a little tight and I end up strapping things to the outside to make up for it.  Once again, kind of obnoxious but since I usually go with my husband and we split our gear up among 2 packs and have a pretty good system down now, it hasn't been a huge problem but I can definitely see that if I were to go without him and had to carry all my own food, water, clothing, stove, tent, toilet paper and all the other necessities, I could run into trouble.  Definitely something to think about when selecting your bag.

      The other thing that isn't really something that I dislike, but I just don't really get is the straps that they put on the back of the bag to hold it down to your sleeping pad.  I know the straps are found on many bags, not just this one, but I just don't get them.  I've tried to use them and either they don't  really help or I just feel too tied down and I can't move enough to get comfortable.  And as I mentioned earlier I wish the pillow pocket on the back were just a bit larger although the opening holds the pillow well enough for me.

      SIGNATURE

      Denver Allen
      Denverbauter123@...

      Copyright 2011.  All rights reserved.

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 14, 2011

        Edit Administration Manager
      • Denver Allen
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 28, 2011
          Jamie,

          I have forgotten my password and username to login to BGT.  Is there any way I could look those up?

          Thank you,
          Denver Bauter

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 28, 2011
            Nevermind, I figured it out. Thank you!

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 14, 2011
              BEN - Denver Allen(1) - SIERRA DESIGNS UTOPIA 15 DEGREE SLEEPING – Posted Aug 9 (msg#80425), Taken Aug 15, Edit Aug 15 (80441), Repost Aug 16, Edit Aug 17 (80449), Repost Aug 28, Edit Aug 30(70495), Repost Sept 10, Edit Sept 19(80558), Follow-up sent Oct 14,

              Hi Denver,

              Following a review of our Owner Review queue at BackpackGearTest.org I noticed you have not responded to the Edit given for the above Owner's Review, which was posted by Ben back on 19 Sept. Please refer to message number 80558 at

              Editors Team Director