Edit - Marmot Women's Minimalist Jacket - Meaghan Emery

  • richardglyon
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 8, 2011
      Meaghan,

      Welcome to BackpackGearTest.org, and thanks for your Owner Review. This is an excellent start at a first OR, though you'll need to revise it to conform to some of BGT's protocols. Before turning to specific edits, here are some things you'll need to correct throughout your report.

      First, all measurements require metric conversions, and all temperatures must include a Celsius conversion. Feet, inches, temperatures, pounds, and ounces must all be in this dual format. Temperatures are recorded as degrees and scale (abbreviated F or C) only, without the word "degrees:" 50 F (10 C), not 50 degrees.

      Second, trademarks must be reported exactly as the mark owner uses them – for example PitZips (not Pitzips); GORE-TEX (not Gore-tex); DriClime (not Dri-Clime).

      I will not identify each instance of these two categories that must be changed – be aware of these rules when you revise your Review.

      Specific edits follow this message. I use the standard BGT format:

      EDIT (all caps) – required change
      Edit (initial cap) – suggested change or request for clarification
      Comment – just that, no change required

      After revising you need to do two things. Post the html version of the Report in the Tests/Owner Reviews folder on BackpackGearTest.org, and post the plain text version here, with "Repost," the product name, and your name in the subject line, and with a tinyurl link to the html version in the body of your message.

      Please note that while photos aren't required in a first Owner Review, we do require them in all subsequent ORs and in all Test Reports. I encourage you to include one in this Report.

      Cheers, Richard Lyon
      BGT Editor

      <<Backpacking Background>>
      EDIT: Please add a sentence about your backpacking style, such as typical pack weight and shelter preference (tent, bivy, hammock, etc).

      <<Weight as delivered: 15.2 oz>>
      EDIT: Indicate the size of your jacket, and other sizes offered for the Minimalist.
      Edit: Consider adding colors offered, and the color of yours.

      <<100% Seam Taped - For Full Waterproofness
      PitZips™ - Underarm Zip That Extends Into the Body for Aggressive Venting
      Attached Adjustable Hood - Reduces Volume and is Secured with a Velcro Hood Tab
      Zippered Hand Pockets - For Convenience
      Storm Flap over Zipper with Snap/Velcro® Closure - Storm Flap over Zipper with
      Snap/Velcro Closure
      Elastic Draw Cord Hem - For Adjustability in Serious Weather
      DriClime® Lined Chin Guard - Moisture Wicking Fabric Protects Your Face From the
      Zipper
      Angel-Wing Movement™ - Allows Full Range of Motion in Arms so Jacket Doesn't
      Ride Up
      Sized Specifically for Women - To Fit Your Body, Not a Smaller Men's Version
      27 1/4" Center Back Length for Size Medium>>
      EDIT: There are taken verbatim from Marmot's website. We frown on that – a reader can get them from the site easily enough – and prefer a summary in your own words. If you wish to use the manufacturer's list, please indicate the source and include quotation marks.

      <<AREA DESCRIPTION>>
      EDIT: BGT uses "Field Conditions," not "Area Description"

      <<TESTING RESULTS>>
      EDIT: Another BGT convention: this section should be entitled "Observations" or "Performance." BGT has Test Series, and use of "testing" is limited to them.

      <<I am immensely impressed by it's durability;>>
      EDIT: its [no apostrophe]

      << The Velcro straps at each wrist can minimize this seeping effect >>
      EDIT: Another trademark issue. The owner of the Velcro mark objects to use of the mark unless the connector is truly Velcro and identified by the manufacturer as such. If Marmot states expressly (on a hang tag or its website) that Velcro is used, it's always "Velcro," not "velcro." If Marmot doesn't specify Velcro, then it's "hook-and-loop." Here and several other places.

      << This problem can be traced back to my gloves, which are more water absorbant than they are water proof, >>
      EDIT: absorbent [spelling]
      Edit: waterproof [one word]

      <<If zippers that come up past your chin bother you, though, this jacket may not be ideal as leaving the neckline unzipped does allow water in. Oh, and if you've eaten tuna that day, be prepared to be smelling it until you wash the jacket again>>
      Edit: Yet another BGT protocol – we don't allow "projection," reporting on another person's possible reaction to the product. For this reason we editors always flinch when we see the second person (you or your). It's OK here, but usually it's not, so be careful.

      <<the Pitzips provide adequate cooling; on the rare warmer days, they aren't enough to keep you from overheating.>>
      EDIT: Like here – make it "keep me from overheating."

      << What it does show is easily washed away by rag, though the jacket is machine washable and, amazingly, can be shoved in the drier afterward. >>
      EDIT: dryer [spelling]

      <<Close the pockets when you wash it, though, or you'll pull it out with two pouches full to the brim with water. >>
      Edit: "you" is OK here, but consider changing it.

      <<Because of it's durability and quick-drying capacity, this jacket is perfect for daily use in a chilly, very wet area. >>
      EDIT: its [no apostrophe]

      <<4) Wrists are not 100% water proof>>
      Edit: waterproof [one word]