Owner Review - GearPods Backcountry - Erin M. Hedden

  • Dingo
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 11, 2011
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR-%20GearPods%20Backcountry%20-%20Erin%20M.%20Hedden/

      GEARPODS BACKCOUNRTY
      BY ERIN M. HEDDEN
      OR
      June 06, 2011

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Erin M. Hedden
      EMAIL: tookieblueeyes@...
      AGE: 32
      LOCATION: Southeastern Colorado U.S.A.
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 153 lb (69.40 kg)

      Backpacking Background: I have been backpacking since 4 years of age, taking week long trips into the mountains with my family. I hike various terrains ranging from mountains and plateaus to grasslands and prairies. My excursions can be a simple day hike with a light-weight waist pack, a loop trail requiring up to 4 nights and 5 days on which I keep my pack as light-weight as possible, or an in-and-out trip for a night or two where my pack can be quite heavy. Slow and steady is my pace and I use a tent or a hammock depending on weather and terrain.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1">><b>Manufacturer:</b> GearPods
      <b>Year of Manufacture:</b> 2010
      <b>Manufacturer's Website:</b> <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.gearpods.com/" LINK TEXT = "GearPods">>
      <b>MSRP:</b> US $109.95
      <b>Listed Weight:</b> 1.25 lbs (20 oz
      <b>Measured Weight:</b> 1.20 lbs (0.54 kg)
      <b>Main Container Listed Dimensions:</b> 3.3" x 9.2" (8.4 cm x 23.4 cm)
      <b>Main Container Measured Dimensions</b>: 3.3" x 9.2" (8.4 cm x 23.4 cm)
      <b>GearPods medium container listed height: </b>3" (7.62 cm)
      <b>GearPods medium container measured height: </b> 3" (7.62 cm)
      <b>GearPods XL container listed height:</b> 6" (15 cm)
      <GearPods XL container measured height:</b> 6" (15 cm)
      <b>Available Colors:</b> Blue, Orange, Black, Yellow, Olive Drab and Coyote Tan
      <b>Color:</b> Orange
      <b>Items Included:</b>

      FIELD USE

      I have carried the GearPods Backcountry at the bottom of my day pack numerous times in Picketwire Canyon on 12.6 mile (20 km) hikes as have I packed it in on an overnight hunting trip into the same Canyon. During the hunting trip I rode a mountain bike in 7.4 miles (12 km) to the campsite, another 3.2 miles (5 km) further into the canyon the next day, and a total of 10.6 miles (18 km) back out of the canyon later in the afternoon with the temperature at 87 F (31 C). There was also a steep climb out carrying the pack and the bike up through the boulders to reach the Land Rover.

      During several of these outings I have had chance to use materials contained within the Health Pod. I have also used a few of the items in the Survival Pro pod as have I used the stove with the GearPods CookMug.

      I found that the GearPod CookMug boils with use of the stove at 7 minutes 38 seconds a total of 9 fl oz (266 ml) on a cold night in Picketwire Canyon. It was 27 F (-2 C) with no breeze.

      SUMMARY

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4" IMAGE CAPTION = "GearPods Health">>The GearPods Backcountry has 3 different comprehensive kits integrated into its design, and it can be changed around and added to with other compact kits which are also available for individual sale from the manufacturer. As it stands it includes something in the way of first aid, a survival kit and a cooking kit all packed up tight in a relatively light, and watertight system.

      GearPods Health is sufficient for treating the most common outdoor injuries or ailments. Dealing with anything from removing simple enough cactus spines in the palm of my hand using the included fresnel lens to see and tweezers, down to using the moleskin patches to remedy the blisters from long, hard trails is easy enough to accomplish using this comprehensive little pod.

      A range of survival tools that help with building necessary fire, procuring and treating water for hydration, fishing, repairing minor mishaps with gear and signal for help should it come or navigate out of a situation are all included in the GearPods Survival Pro pod.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 5">>An integrated stove system that goes along with solid fuel and the GearPods CookMug, with its snap-in lid, was an ingenious idea to have accompany everything else that was included in the Backcountry. It compliments the other contents and makes it that much easier to boil water in a tight spot.

      THINGS I LIKE

      1. I like that it is compact and easy to pack and carry.
      2. I like the stove and combined cook pot/mug with the windshield which works perfectly with the fuel tablets.
      3. I like that it includes a small fishing kit.
      4. I like the inclusion of a signal mirror.
      5. I like the inclusion of a fresnel lens which can also be used to start a fire in an emergency situation as well as be used as a magnifying glass to see small splinters and thorns that may be picked up along the trails.
      6. I like the GearPods Health system which includes everything someone may need in case a minor cut or wound happens.
      7. I like that GearPods Health includes insect repellent as well as something to ease the itching and burning in case I do get bitten.
      8. I like that it included with it waterproof stationary as well as a pencil which most survival kits fail to include.
      9. I like that it is designed to add or subtract Pods which can be purchased separately as well.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 6" IMAGE CAPTION = "What is inside the CookMug">>

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      There isn't anything that I don't like about the GearPods Backcountry.

      Copyright 2011. All rights reserved.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 12, 2011

        Edit Administration Manager