EDIT Andrei Girenkov MERRELL MOAB MID GORE-TEX XCR HIKING BOOTS

  • agirenkov
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 5, 2011
      MERRELL MOAB MID GORE-TEX XCR HIKING BOOTS
      BY ANDREI GIRENKOV
      OR
      June 06, 2011

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Andrei Girenkov
      EMAIL: agirenkov[AT]yahoo[DOT]com
      AGE: 29
      LOCATION: New York, New York, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      WEIGHT: 150 lb (68.00 kg)

      I have been backpacking for 6 years, mostly 3-season weekend trips in the Adirondacks, and other parks in the North-Eastern US. Additionally, I try to take at least

      one 5-7 day trip each summer to other destinations in Canada, Western states and Central America. I use lightweight gear on a budget. My multi-day pack weight is

      around 20-25 lb (9-11kg). I enjoy sleeping comfortably and cooking a hot meal at night

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Wolverine World Wide, Inc
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.merrell.com
      Year of Manufacture: 2008
      MSRP: US$ 125
      Listed Weight: 30 oz (850 g)
      Measured Weight: 38 oz (1080 g)
      Size: Men's US 10 / UK 9.5 / EUR 44
      Color: Dark Tan
      Materials: Leather / Mesh Upper, GoreTex membrane, Vibram Rubber Sole, Synthetic Toe Cap and heel counter

      These are very light weight hiking boots. The upper part of the boot is made of alternating leather strips and breathable mesh segments. The inside surface of the

      upper is covered in a waterproof Gore-Tex membrane. When walking through wet grass and snow, the inside of the boot stays completely dry. However if I step into a

      deep puddle or a stream, the shoes do get wet. Fortunately they dry out very quickly.

      After wearing these boots I've noticed a reduction in blisters as the foot doesn't sweat as much. There is a minor downside to having mesh panels instead of a solid

      leather boot. When I stepped into mud, it dries and clogs up the mesh panel, preventing ventilation. It wasn't possible to wipe it off and I had to wait until I set

      up camp and could soak all the mud out in a stream.

      Black caps protect the wearer's toes and heel. The material is some sort of synthetic or rubber, and has gotten noticeably frayed with 4 years of use. It does well

      enough to protect my heel and toes, but repeatedly stubbing my toes still adds up over a long day. The soles are made of highly textured grey and black Vibram rubber.

      This pattern allows me to grip the trail and walk over stones and boulders with confidence.

      The boots are laced through 12 nylon ribbon loops (1 located bottom center, 5 on each side, and 1 at the top, center of tongue). At the top of the boot there is a

      pair of copper lacing hooks.

      FIELD USE

      I purchased these boots in early Summer 2008 in preparation for an 8 day hike in Wrangell-St. Elias National park in Alaska. The trip involved traversing glaciers,

      climbing boulders and snow, and crossing many rivulets. Temperatures ranged from 40-65F (5-18C). Elevation ranged from 1,500 - 8,000 ft (450-2450 m).

      My main requirements for this trip were to find boots that were light, that would allow crampons to be attached, that would support a 25 lb (12 kg) pack, that would be

      waterproof and dry out quickly if it did get wet, and that had a hard sole to protect my feet when stepping on stones all day long.

      In my experience these boots satisfy all of the criteria very well, at a very reasonable price. I had a concern that the ventilated cutouts would allow my feet to

      freeze when crossing glaciers. With a pair of wool hiking socks this concern never materialized. However, I found when crossing a steep hillside, the bottom foot

      tends to roll out, and the top foot rolls in. Because this is a mid rise boot, it does not provide adequate support in this situation. At one point I helped a friend

      carry some gear, pushing my pack to about 35 lb (17 kg) and felt that ankle support was noticeably less. I had to slow down to avoid injury.

      Since that trip I have worn them on dozens of day hikes and weekend trips on rocky trails in the Adirondack and Catskill Parks as well as other parks in the Hudson

      Valley in New York State, and Poconos mountains in Pennsylvania. These trips have all been in moderate weather, temperatures in 50-70 F (10-21 C), rocky or packed

      dirt trails, with a pack weight of 15-20 lbs (7-9 kg). During these trips I have never had any problems with sweat or injury. I found that the insole inadequately

      supported my arches. I replaced them with a no-name brand insole from Target and have not had any support complaints since then.

      In 2009 I took a 5 day trip to the Buckskin Gulch in the Arizona desert. This is a very narrow (sometimes have to squeeze through between walls) 13 mile (20 km) long

      slot canyon. It rained 3 days prior to my arrival, and the gulch was still drying out from a flash flood. Ground varied between desert sand, clay, and ankle deep

      water. Temperatures were around 90 F (32 C). Because we had to cross over a hundred flooded areas in one day, we didn't have time to keep stopping to remove boots.

      I hiked in my boots the entire day, getting them completely soaked. I am happy to report that by the following morning they were completely dried out. On this trip I

      really came to appreciate the ventilation provided by these boots.

      In 2011 I wore these boots to the cloud forests of Costa Rica (Manuel Antonio Park and Arenal Volcano Park). Trails were mostly over old lava flows and mountain

      trails (rocks and packed earth). Temperature was around 75-85 F (22-30 C), however it was extremely humid. With wool hiking socks on, my feet felt like I was in a

      sauna. If I had to go to a humid area again, I would consider wearing synthetic socks.

      SUMMARY

      These are very well ventilated light weight boots. They provide adequate ankle support with a pack weight of 25 lbs (12 kg) but their limit is pushed with heavier

      packs. Despite having mesh cutouts, the boots are waterproof to morning dew, rain, and snow. Stepping into a stream still soaks them. Drying out is very easy due to

      ventilation.

      THINGS I LIKE

      Light weight
      Good ventilation
      Water resistant
      Dries out easily

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      Inadequate ankle support above 35 lbs (20kg) or when walking across inclines.
      Insole offers insufficient arch support (but can be easily replaced).
      Mud clogs up mesh insets.

      SIGNATURE
      /s Andrei Girenkov

      Copyright 2011. All rights reserved.
    • Ray
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 16, 2011
        Hello Andrei,

        Sorry I did not notice this earlier (you need to put REPOST in the subject line, not EDIT as that is only what editors use) and I have been out of town.

        OK, this is better. Here are more edits. Once made please REPOST here. You can also put a HTML copy in the Owner Review Test Folder. It is found at the end of the list of reviews on the main page or here;
        http://tinyurl.com/4mfwa

        support group,

        BGTFileUploadHelp @

        Please let me have a link to the review or at least the name once you have it uploaded.

        Ray

        ***Listed Weight: 30 oz (850 g)

        Edit: I see it on the site as being 1 lb 15 oz, or 31 oz

        ***However if I step into a deep puddle or a stream, the shoes do get wet.

        Comment: they get wet from what? The GORE-Tex leaking or water going over the top?

        ***At the top of the boot there is a pair of copper lacing hooks.

        Comment: are you sure they are copper? Brass seems much more likely

        ***I purchased these boots in early Summer 2008

        EDIT: "summer" 2008 (no cap)

        *** Temperatures ranged from 40-65F (5-18C).

        EDIT: please put spaces before F and C
        Temperatures ranged from 40-65 F (5-18 C).

        *** They provide adequate ankle support with a pack weight of 25 lbs (12 kg) but their limit is pushed with heavier packs.

        EDIT: but their limit is pushed "for me" with heavier packs.
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 12, 2011
          Hi Andrei,

          You need to redo your review with a clickable link. The one you first put in the test folder had it but the version you placed in the actual folder is missing it. I will delete the version that it does not work and you can upload a new one.

          Thanks,

          Ray
        • agirenkov
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 19, 2011
            Uploaded here:

            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Footwear/Boots/MERRELL%20MOAB%20MID%20GORE-TEX%20XCR/Owner%20Review%20by%20Andrei%20Girenkov/

            > Hi Andrei,
            >

            > You need to redo your review with a clickable link. The one you first put in the test folder had it but the version you placed in the actual folder is missing it. I will delete the version that it does not work and you can upload a new one.
            >

            > Thanks,
            >

            > Ray

          • Ray
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 19, 2011
              Thanks, it looks good now.

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 19, 2011
                Thank you Andrei. Looks good. Now on to OR #2 please.

                Jamie D