Re: Edit/Approval: OR - Bemco Backpacker Oven - Mike Williams

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 6 , May 20, 2011
      Thanks for the edits Ray.

      I did have a unique situation come up. I was recently contacted by the manufacture of the Backpacker Oven. I don't want to re-write me review because my experience with it is real, but I was thinking I could add another section to the review. Below is what I wrote. Please let me know if I can add this to the bottom of the review.

      Thanks,

      Mike

      UPDATE:

      Since the time of this review, the manufacture has contacted me regarding food sticking to the pans. Apparently there was supposed to be instructions included in my shipping documents to "season" the pans very similarly to cast iron. I have not yet done that step with the pans either because I did not get the instructions or I overlooked them and accidentally threw them away. Here is a part of the communication that I had with Brian March the inventor of the Backpacker Oven.

      "If you did not season the pans, oil them generously and bake them at 400 F (204 C) for a minimum of 5 min. Then remove from the oven and wipe all excess oil out with a clean cloth and let cool completely then wash with soapy water and let dry. Then when baking add a small amount of oil to the pan, then add your ingredients and bake. [Not doing] this would cause the sticking you are talking about. Even with seasoning, the recipes in the baking guide tell you to oil the pans when baking, this helps keep items from sticking."

      This isn't the first communication that I have had with Brian about the oven. He is very open and customer support oriented, check out his blog, and communicating with him is very pleasant. I'm really happy that he contacted me and filled me in on what I was doing wrong.

      > Hi Mike,
      >
      > Thanks for the OR. I got something similar but have not used it yet. This summer my son wants pizza so I better learn. ;-)
      >
      > Here are your edits. Once made you can place the review at:
      >
      > Reviews > Cook Gear > Cooking Accessories > Bemco Backpacker Oven
      >
      > Ray
      >

      > ***Manufacturer: BEMCO
      >
      > EDIT: nowhere but their blog do I see the name Bemco in all caps. All instances on the site are spelled as I have it.
      >

      > ***The Bemco Backpacker Oven is a collapsible aluminum box that is placed over a stove burner to create an oven like environment
      >
      > EDIT: oven-like
      >

      > ***First, the 3 sided hinge piece is unfolded and positioned to form the three walls of the oven.
      >
      > EDIT: 3-sided
      >

      > ***Then the 4th wall is attached to the 3 walled piece
      >
      > EDIT: 3-walled (but really as you called it 3-sided earlier you should stick with that)
      >

      > *** Next the lid is placed on top of the 4 sided oven
      >
      > EDIT: 4-sided
      >

      > *** My first hand experience is not to light the stove
      >
      > EDIT: first-hand
      >

      > *** This is where I learned not to light the stove while the oven was over it as well as that the electric ignition of the stove I planned on using needed to be removed before use with the oven (because the wore melted)
      >
      > EDIT: "wire" melted
      >

      > ***I can now make banana bread or hot and fresh cinnamon rolls. Dinner can now be fresh lasagna or smothered burritos in green chili sauce.
      >
      > EDIT: I think this is speculation as you have never used it for these things, right? It sure sounds good to me thoughÂ…
      >

      > ***That is why I will continue to use the oven and look forward to sharing whatit can do with a group.
      >
      > EDIT: "what it" can do

    • Ray
      Message 2 of 6 , May 20, 2011
        Hi Mike,

        I agree with you and think an addendum is a fine way to address this.

        Thanks,