REPOST 2 - OR - GSI Halulite Minimalist - Charles Nichols

  • pipefitteratwork
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2011
      Mike, Here is my updated OR (repost 2). Text version below a long with
      my HTML.

      HTML: http://tinyurl.com/3uypnu2

      GSI HALULITE MINIMALIST
      BY CHARLES NICHOLS
      OR
      April 02, 2011

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Charles Nichols
      EMAIL: hikingshoes@... <mailto:hikingshoes@...>
      AGE: 47
      LOCATION: Corinth, Mississippi, United States
      GENDER: male
      HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      WEIGHT: 218 lb (98.90 kg)

      Over the years, I have come to love hiking/backpacking. I have hiked
      sections of the Appalachian Trail, Palmetto Trail in South Carolina,
      Sipsey Wilderness in Alabama, and Big Hill Pond State Park in Tennessee.
      I started out with a 45 lb to 50 lb (20 to 23 kg) pack. After, meeting
      other hikers using lighter gear has encouraged me to get lighter gear of
      my own. My current pack weight is 28 lb - 30 lb (13 to 14 kg) now.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: GSI Outdoors
      "http://www.gsioutdoors.com/ <http://www.gsioutdoors.com/> " LINK TEXT =
      "www.gsioutdoors.com <http://www.gsioutdoors.com> ">>
      MSRP: US $22.95
      Listed Weight: 6.3 oz (177 g)
      Measured Weight: 6.4 oz (181 g)
      Measured Weight of Pot/Mug with Sleeve: 4.2oz (118 g)
      Measured Weight of Lid: 1.5 oz (43g)
      Measured Weight of Silicone Gripper: 0.5 oz (13 g)
      Measured Weight of Foon: 0.3 oz (9 g)

      FIELD USE

      I used my GSI Halulite Minimalist four day's and four nights on the
      Appalachian Trail (AT). The first two-day/night was at 3500 ft (1067 m)
      on the summit of Max Patch on the AT. Once we reached the summit of Max
      Patch, I began heating 2 c (16 fl oz) cold water in my GSI Halulite
      Minimalist .6 L (20.29 fl oz) pot for supper, within 3 - 4 minutes, I
      had a boil. After turning, my stove off I used the pot gripper to pour
      my hot water into my dehydrated meal. When pouring hot water from my
      pot, I position my hand and fingers in my pot gripper placing them on
      the side of the pot, pouring away from my hand and me and fingers so the
      steam from the water will not burn me. After a good meal with my woman
      and a nice sunset, it was time for bed. The next morning I also used the
      GSI Halulite Minimalist cook pot to boil 2 c (16 fl oz) of water for my
      coffee. Once adding my coffee and sugar to my water, mixing it with my
      foon, my coffee was ready. I put my GSI Halulite Minimalist pot in the
      sleeve and attached the sip-it lid (press sip-it lid down to make a
      seal) so I could drink directly from the pot. If you do not attach the
      sip-it lid you will burn, you mouth. The pot sleeve, has worked well at
      keeping the heat in and not burning my hand. The foon worked well mixing
      my coffee too. Now I can enjoy a good cup of coffee and watch the early
      morning sunrise.

      Boiling water in sip-it lid mode (ready to drink)

      The next morning I setup my GSI Halulite Minimalist pot .6 L (20.29 fl
      oz) by adding 2 c (16 fl oz) water to heat up for breakfast. At this
      time place the sip-it lid (Image 1) on GSI Halulite Minimalist, pot .6 L
      (20.29 fl oz). To avoid losing the pot gripper, I attach my pot gripper
      to the side of my fuel canister (Image 2). Once, the water comes to a
      boil turn off stove. Remove the sip-it lid, using the pot gripper (Image
      3) lift pot and pour the water into meal. Always pour away from pot
      gripper and yourself to keep from burning my fingers. After removing the
      pot from the stove, slide pot into the sleeve (Image 4). Add instant
      coffee, turning sip-it lid over (Image 5) and applied a little pressure
      to seal sip-it lid to pot.
      After using the GSI Halulite Minimalist for two more day /night's,
      I learned that it makes it easier to remove and check the water if I
      turn my sip-it lid over (Image 1). I prefer to use my sip-it lid in the
      sip-it mode (Image 5), because steam drops off and makes a mess unless
      the sip-it lid is wiped off before drinking from it. I have tried
      boiling water with the sip-it lid turned over in the cook/boil mode
      (Image 1), and drinking mode (Image 5) and it works fine both ways.

      Picture took from GSI instruction booklet

      I have also used the GSI Halulite Minimalist, two time's car camping at
      the river in Pickwick, TN. On my first two-day/night at the river, the
      weather was awesome, sunny, with a little wind blowing just enough to
      make it comfortable. Once at camp, I setup my GSI Halulite Minimalist .6
      L (20.29 fl oz) pot to boil 2 c (16 fl oz) of water. Once the water
      comes to a boil, I used my pot gripper to pour the water into my meal
      and seal it off until ready to eat. I did this on my last two section
      hikes on the Appalachian Trail. I used this same setup each time car
      camping for next two day /nights. However, hiking with two hikers, the
      GSI Halulite Minimalist is a solo pot designed for one person with an
      insulated sleeve that has a dual-purpose lid with two modes (boil and
      sip-it). It also comes with a foon and pot grabber. The GSI Halulite
      Minimalist is a .6 L (20.29 fl oz) Pot made of hard anodized alloy. Hard
      anodized surface can provide maximum thermal efficiency whether boiling,
      melting or simmering.
      Now, I am going to pick up a second GSI Halulite Minimalist for my
      girlfriend so she will have something to drink out of or boil/cook if
      needed. I have only used my GSI Halulite Minimalist to boil water in at
      the time of this review.

      SUMMARY

      Overall, The GSI Halulite Minimalist is multifunctional and works very
      well for solo hiking and car camping. One thing I do not like about the
      GSI Halulite Minimalist is the sip-it lid is hard to get off. I did a
      little research, if you press around the GSI Halulite Minimalist pot at
      the top it will walk the lid up a little so you can open it. I have
      tried this with coffee in it and it works really well. I think this
      system will work well for me with a little more practice. The second
      thing I wish GSI outdoors would do is make the "sip" part of the sip-it
      lid a little longer, so I can make seal around the sip-it lid. Now, I
      will not drip my coffee on me after taking a drink.
      In addition, I cannot nest my MRS Fuel canister (diameter 4.25"/108 mm)
      in my GSI Halulite Minimalist pot (diameter 4.2"/107 mm) due to the
      diameter being to big. Now the Jet boil canister (diameter: 3.5"/89 mm)
      will nest really well in the GSI Halulite Minimalist pot.

      THINGS I LIKE

      * Lightweight
      * Multifunctional for solo hiking
      * Price is not bad at $ 22.95
      * I can nest all my items (stove, foon, matches, pot gripper, and Jet
      boil fuel canister) very nicely in my GSI Halulite Minimalist.

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      * Sip-it lid is a little hard to get off.
      * Sip-it lid is not long enough to seal my lips around it.

      SIGNATURE

      Charles W. Nichols

      Copyright 2011. All rights reserved.