OR - ShredAlert Hippy Beanie - Kathy Waters

  • Kathy Waters
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 21, 2011
      Fellow Editors,

      Here is a quick OR for your perusal. Text is below, HTML is in the OR test
      file at: http://tinyurl.com/3qv2of5

      Thanks in advance for your edits and comments.

      Kathy

      SHREDALERT HIPPY BEANIE
      BY KATHLEEN WATERS

      April 21, 2011
      OWNER REVIEW

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Kathleen Waters
      EMAIL: kathy@...
      AGE: 60
      LOCATION: Canon City, Colorado, USA
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 4" (1.60 m)
      WEIGHT: 125 lb (56.70 kg)

      Living in Colorado and being self-employed, I have ample opportunities to
      backpack. There are over 700,000 acres/280,000 hectares of public land
      bordering my 71-acre/29-hectare "backyard" in addition to all the other
      gorgeous locations which abound in Colorado. Over the past 15 years, my
      husband John and I have also had the good fortune to hike/snowshoe glaciers,
      rain forests, mountains and deserts in exotic locations, including New
      Zealand, Iceland, Costa Rica, Slovenia and Death Valley. My hiking style is
      comfortable, aiming for lightweight. I use a tent (rainfly if needed).
      Current pack averages 25 lb (11 kg) excluding food and water.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: ShredAlert
      Year of Manufacture: 2010
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.shredalert.com
      MSRP: US $32.00
      Listed Weight: N/A
      Measured Weight: 2.25 oz (64 g)
      Colors Available: Step, BlueChevron & IncaSun
      Color Reviewed: Step
      Sizes Available: Unisex, one size fits most

      Body Materials: 100 % Polartec® recycled poly/fleece
      Headband Materials: 100% Organic cotton
      Construction: 4 panels with adjustable cordlock in headband
      Care Instructions: Hand wash cold. Do not bleach. Dry flat.

      MADE IN THE USA

      Picture Courtesy of ShredAlert

      FIELD USE AND PERFORMANCE

      The Hippy Beanie from ShredAlert is a very soft to the touch, thick
      polyester fleece pull-down-over-the-ears cap. It is one layer, that is to
      say, there is no liner. The body of the Beanie consists of four panels cut
      rather like elongated quarter circles and stitched together. The interior
      seams are tight, small and barely noticeable. On one interior seam are three
      discreet tags; one with the ShredAlert logo, another for materials and care
      instructions and the third is a Polartec logo.

      The hem is simply turned-up, sewn and then covered on the outside of the
      Beanie with an organic cotton headband decorated with a colorful pattern. My
      particular pattern reminds me of Tibetan prayer flags.

      A cordlock mechanism at the back of the Beanie adjusts the fit when I pull
      on the cord while holding down the lock. Measuring around the (interior)
      base of the Beanie's headband, the unisex size turns out to be 24.5 inches
      (62 cm) which fits me perfectly without my having to cinch the cordlock at
      all in normal conditions.

      I've been wearing the ShredAlert Hippy Beanie for the last 2 months whenever
      and wherever I've been outdoors in cold and/or windy conditions.

      From the snowy mountains of Utah and northern Colorado, to the windy, dry
      mountains of south central Colorado, all the way to the damp, ridiculously
      dreary New Jersey coastal area, the Beanie kept my noggin warm and dry.

      While, snowshoeing, hiking and just plain walking around, I found the Beanie
      to be comfortable in temperatures as low as -10 F (-23 C) on up to 45 F (7
      C) in normal wind conditions. There were a few hikes when even though the
      temps were a bit warmer, I still donned the Beanie to keep the wind out of
      my ears.

      Due to a genetic condition, I wear hearing aids in both ears. When wearing a
      hat that covers my ears - which I prefer to do when it's cold outside - I
      have to be careful to have a hat that fits properly. If the hat is too
      tight, an uncomfortable situation develops where the hearing aids - which
      are totally embedded in my ear canal - will emit a shrill "feedback". This
      is very annoying and hurtful. If the hat is too loose or doesn't cover my
      ears fully, the same feedback can result. So, like Goldilocks, I need a hat
      that is "just right".

      The Hippy Beanie fits the bill perfectly in this aspect and hence the reason
      I sometimes wore the Beanie even when it really wasn't that cold, but it WAS
      windy. And it's been a brutally windy winter here in Canon City, Colorado!

      Another fact probably known only to the hearing-impaired, when it's cold,
      hearing aids get cold too. The result of frigid temperatures is a cold piece
      of plastic wedged in a warm ear canal. Not pleasant, let me say. The Hippy
      Beanie with its thick construction, kept this from becoming a problem, as my
      ears were not exposed and the hearing aids didn't get icy. With happy warm
      ears, I was (and am) a happy camper, I mean backpacker!
      Snowshoe/Hike in Rocky Mountain National Park

      For two weeks in Estes Park at the entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park
      (RMNP), I made it a point to hike every single day. One of my favorite
      jaunts was a 6.24 mile (10 km) loop around Lake Estes. This trek involved
      some hills and some flat surfaces. No matter what the weather was - and it
      was generally about freezing and partly sunny - I would be sweating on the
      uphill climb towards the dam at the east end of the lake. Often, I would
      pull off the Beanie at this junction.

      However, once I started the downhill portion and rounded the base of the
      dam, I would get hit with strong winds funneling down the valley from the
      mountains in RMNP. I mean, take-your-breath-away winds! I was extremely
      happy to be wearing the Hippy Beanie on these occasions as the Beanie not
      only kept me warm, but it stayed put. On the one day I wore a baseball cap
      style hat, I not only was uncomfortable cold-wise, but my arms ached from
      holding onto the cap!

      I can't say how the Beanie would hold up to a downpour but I can say it kept
      me dry in a steady light drizzle which was the only weather I encountered
      during two weeks down the Jersey shore. In my limited experience, the Beanie
      shed the moisture nicely.

      After two months of wear, the Hippy Beanie had not stretched out and looked
      no worse for the wearing, except for the horse drool when Doc decided I
      wasn't doling out treats fast enough. It has held its shape admirably
      despite being folded, smashed and stuffed into small spaces in my backpack.

      Finally, this past week, I washed the Beanie in a sinkful of cold water and
      a liquid tech wash, rinsed it thoroughly and let it dry flat overnight. Now
      it looks as good as new and is ready for more action as soon as the weather
      turns cold again.

      STAR ATTRACTIONS

      1.) Soft to the touch.
      2.) Keeps my head warm.
      3.) Wind can't bother me!
      4.) Great style.
      5.) Wears and washes great!

      MINOR DISTRACTIONS

      1.) After strenuous activities, gives me a mean case of "hat head ".

      SUMMARY

      Although I wore the Hippy Beanie just yesterday when walking down to feed
      the horses, I fear it is probably getting to the end of the winter season
      for me. I will probably keep the Beanie stashed somewhere close, but most
      likely will not be wearing it again (or at least, much) until next autumn.
      I'm happy to know I will have the Hippy Beanie in my gear closet when Mother
      Nature sends the cold weather my way again.

      Thanks, ShredAlert, for making such a quality product!

      Kathleen (Kathy) Waters
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 26, 2011

        Edit Administration Manager
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 29, 2011
          Hi Kathy,

          Nice review. I can only find one edit for you. There is already a folder for it as you know. ;-)

          Ray

          ***Finally, this past week, I washed the Beanie in a sinkful of cold water

          EDIT: a "sink full" of cold water
        • Kathy Waters
          Message 4 of 4 , May 5, 2011
            Ray,

            Thanks for the edit. I've corrected the spelling, deleted the test file and uploaded. See you another time.