Repost - OR - Red Ledge Gauntlet Jacket - Chris Cappetta

  • Christopher Cappetta
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 19, 2011
      Great comments, thanks.

      http://tinyurl.com/3o4haox
      Chris

      Red Ledge Gauntlet Jacket
      Owner Review by Chris Cappetta

      Reviewer Information:
      Name: Chris Cappetta
      Age: 24
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6 ft 3 in (1.9 m)
      Weight: 215 lb (97 kg)
      Email address: christopher.cappetta@...
      City, State, Country: Crested Butte, Colorado, USA
      Backpacking Background: I am a student at Western State College of Colorado,
      getting my degree in outdoor leadership. I spend a lot of time in the Elk
      and San Juan ranges of the Rockies in both the summer and winter. My trips
      are generally a day to a week in mountainous terrain. Weather fluctuates
      drastically and snow can be a consideration at any time of year. I have been
      backpacking with 40-50 lb (18-22 kg) packs for the past two years in almost
      exclusively mountainous terrain ranging from 8,000-14,000 ft (2,500-4,500
      m). I am currently making the transition to lightweight gear.

      <Image 1>
      Photo from the Red Ledge Website

      Manufacturer- Red Ledge
      Jacket- Gauntlet
      Year of manufacture- 2009
      http://www.redledge.com/
      Listed weight- 1lb 6.7 oz (652 g). This measurement is for a size Medium.
      Red Ledge does not specify the weight for size XL
      Weight as delivered- 1 lb 12 oz (800 g) size XL.
      It is slightly thicker than some purely rain shells and it served as my
      primary shell throughout the past year in the high Rockies. It has a hood
      with a sun visor, but does not have a powder skirt. It has two external hip
      pockets that zip, and no chest or interior pockets. The hip pockets are
      spacious, and in a pinch I am able to fit a lightweight, long-sleeve
      mid-layer inside; though it does bulge drastically and throw off the fit of
      the jacket.

      Experience with the product:
      I bought this jacket on a fishing trip in Kodiak, Alaska last summer. I
      immediately put it through a pretty bad 2-day storm on the deck of a boat in
      the Gulf of Alaska. It performed admirably and I was immediately happy to
      notice that I could operate the zipper with my gloves on. The fit and
      material is comfortable and the wrist design is snug but not tight.

      It then came back to Colorado with me and served as my primary rain layer
      for the rest of the summer of heavy backpacking. When an afternoon hail
      storm materializes over the ridge at 13,000 ft (4000 m) the extra thickness
      of the Gauntlet is nice to have.

      Through the winter the Gauntlet was still very good in a layering system. On
      the relatively warm days (above 15 F/-10 C) the Gauntlet and a medium weight
      base layer served as my ski system, and on the colder nights (as low as -40
      F/C) it was layered with fleece and a medium weight base layer to good
      effect. Note: a dry sunny 15 F (-10 C) in Colorado doesn't feel as cold as
      the same thermometer temperature in more humid climates, adjust accordingly.

      The Gauntlet was less expensive than similar jackets by more renowned
      companies, but I have been extremely impressed with its performance and
      durability through a year of tough use and especially through a rigorous 80+
      days on skis this winter.

      Field information
      Tested in Colorado, Alaska
      Terrain- I've worn this jacket on the deck of a fishing boat for extended
      periods of foul weather in the Gulf of Alaska, and on multiple backpacking
      and overnight ski touring trips in the Elk and San Juan ranges of the
      Colorado Rockies. The Gauntlet also served as my primary outer layer 60+
      days in bounds at Crested Butte Ski Area, which is a tough mountain on gear.

      Weather conditions- In Alaska the weather was pretty horrible. It was
      pouring rain and sleet for two days and we were on the deck of a fishing
      boat all day. The Gauntlet hood was snug and comfortable and the
      waterproofing proved itself immediately. The temperature was 30-40 F (0-10
      C) both days; but the strong wind, rain, and sleet were trying. I had the
      Gauntlet layered with a fleece for most of that trip, and was surprised at
      how protected from the elements I was.

      In Colorado the Gauntlet faced the gamut of weather conditions. It pretty
      much always stayed rolled up and easy to grab on the top of my pack during
      single and multi day summer trips. It came into use often, especially during
      August when strong afternoon thunderstorms are almost the rule in our area.
      The temperatures in the summer range from 20 F (-7 C) some nights to 90 F
      (33 C) on hot days. The Gauntlet was my daytime foul weather layer by itself
      and often layered with a fleece at night. I generally hiked in light layers
      with this jacket easily accessible in my pack, because I would overheat and
      end up sweating with it on. I would say this jacket is quite breathable for
      its thickness, but definitely not as breathable as a lightweight,
      rain-specific shell. On particularly cold nights I've included the Gauntlet
      in my sleep system.

      The Gauntlet became my snow jacket during the winter and faced extremely
      cold temperatures and harsh mountain storms. The lack of a powder skirt
      wasn't much of a problem while skiing because of a good draw cord at the
      bottom hem. Even during the most dynamic movements the fit was comfortable
      and non-restricting.

      <Image 2>
      I had a hard time finding pictures of me wearing this jacket, because it
      usually comes out in weather that isn't agreeable with cameras. Here it is
      strapped on for very easy access on a 2 day 32 Mile (50 km) trip through the
      Maroon Bells Wilderness Area. The weather all day had been very patchy,
      quick moving, thunderstorms. This is the route up to Trailrider Pass from
      the Aspen side with Snowmass Peak in the background.

      To summarize, I have been very impressed with the Gauntlet over the past
      year of heavy use. It shows no real signs of damage after more than a few
      battles with jagged rocks and clawing branches. I do find that I need to be
      very precise with layers while wearing this jacket. It seems to trap a lot
      of heat and doesn't breathe as well as a lighter rain-specific layer. I
      generally hike in very light base layers and only pull this jacket out when
      the weather gets nasty. If I have too many layers under the Gauntlet, I
      quickly find myself sweaty with light exertion. I notice this mostly when I
      start out on a cold morning with my warm fleece underneath. When backpacking
      in an alpine climate where I need a relatively lightweight shell suitable
      for rain, wind, or snow the Gauntlet is in its element. If I'm looking for a
      milder temperature jacket, for wear during hard hiking, the Gauntlet is too
      much jacket for my needs (I reckon warmer than 45 F/ 12 C during active
      use). Overall I've been impressed with how this jacket performs through some
      positively dastardly conditions, and would definitely buy another.

      Things I like:
      Tough
      Warm for its weight
      Very wind, water, and snow proof.

      The one thing I don't like:
      Breathability compared to bringing a strict rain layer. On the other hand it
      is much more breathable than most snow layers that I have worn.