EDIT - Red Ledge Gauntlet - Chris Capetta

  • richardglyon
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 18, 2011
      Chris,

      Welcome to BackpackGearTest.org, and thanks for your Owner Review. This is an excellent start at a first OR, and I think with one more turnaround it'll be ready to post.

      My edits below are in standard BGT format:

      EDIT (all caps) – required change
      Edit (initial cap) – suggested change or request for clarification
      Comment – just that, now change required

      After revising you need to do two things. Post the html version of the Report in the Tests/Owner Reviews folder on BackpackGearTest.org, and post the plain text version here, with "Repost," the product name, and your name in the subject line, and with a tinyurl link to the html version in the body of your message. Please note that while photos aren't required in a first Owner Review, we do require them in all subsequent ORs and in all Test Reports. I encourage you to include one in this Report.

      Cheers, Richard Lyon
      BGT Editor

      <<Red Ledge Gauntlet Jacket
      Owner Review>> [Title]
      EDIT: Add your name after "Owner Review" [Owner Review by Chris Capetta] and add the date on the line below.

      <<Height: 6'3" (1.9m)
      Weight: 215lbs (97kg)>>
      EDIT: This EDIT applies to many of your measurements. Our convention is a space between the number and the unit of measurement, and the unit is always singular. So: (1.9 m) and 215 lb (97 kg). Please correct throughout your Review.

      <<Date: 10 April, 2011>>
      EDIT: Delete here, as you will add the date to the title.

      <<Weight as delivered- Not sure, but I will find out before submitting the
      final review.>>
      EDIT: Measured weight must be included. Use a post office scale if you don't have your own.
      Edit: You might indicate the size of the measured jacket. And the size for which Red Ledge gives its measurement, if indicated on the website.

      <<It is slightly thicker than some purely rain shells and it served as my
      primary shell throughout the past year in the high rockies.>>
      EDIT: high Rockies [capital R]

      <<I immediately put it through a pretty bad 2 day storm on the deck of a boat in the Gulf of Alaska.>>
      Edit: 2-day [with a hyphen]

      <<the extra thickness of the gauntlet is nice to have.>>
      EDIT: Every time you refer to the product you need to capitalize the name, as the manufacturer does: Gauntlet. Particularly important when the product name is an everyday word. There were a couple of other lower case "gauntlets;" please revise everywhere.

      << On the relatively warm days (15F/-10C+)>>
      EDIT: Delete the plus sign. Try "above 15F/-10C"

      <<Note: a dry sunny 15F in Colorado doesn't feel as cold as a wet 15F on the coasts, adjust accordingly.>>
      EDIT: Need the Celsius equivalent in both places.

      <<but I have been extremely impressed with it's performance and
      durability through a year of tough use>>
      EDIT: Another recurring EDIT: "it's" with an apostrophe is a contraction of "it is;" " its," no apostrophe, the possessive pronoun. Should be "its" here and a couple of other places.

      <<and especially through the 80+ days on skis this winter.>>
      Comment: OK, rub it in. I'm very jealous.

      <<In Colorado the Gauntlet faced the gambit of weather conditions.>>
      EDIT: gamut of weather conditions

      <<The lack of a powder skirt wasn't much of a problem while skiing because of a good draw cord at the bottom hem.>>
      Edit/Comment: This sentence is fine. You'd help your readers though if when initially describing the jacket you set out some of its features. Up to you.

      <<This jacket seems to trap a lot of heat and doesn't breathe as well as a lighter rain specific layer. >>
      Edit: rain-specific [with a hyphen]

      <<If you are over layered you will find yourself sweaty with exertion. I notice this mostly when I start out on a cold morning with my warm fleece underneath. If you are backpacking in the type of climate that you want a relatively lightweight shell suitable for rain, wind, or snow the Gauntlet is highly recommended. If you're looking for a milder temperature jacket for wear during hard hiking the Gauntlet would probably be too much jacket for your needs (I would say warmer than 45F/ 12C during active use). >>
      EDIT: At BGT we limit our Reviews and Reports to personal experience. What another person might experience is called "projection," and it's not permitted. Any time an editor sees the second person (you or your) a red flag goes up. Especially is that true here, as different people have different tolerances for cold – this jacket might be perfect for me, as I am very cold-prone and often wear more layers than others I hike with.

      What you've written shouldn't be deleted – it is very useful information. Try to rewrite it as your own experience.

      <<On the other hand it is much more breathable than most snow layers.>>
      EDIT: More projection. "than most snow layers that I have worn."