Edit: Owner Report SNOW PEAK TREK 700 John MacDowall

  • Ray
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 11, 2011
      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "John M" <jmacdowall@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > INITIAL IMPRESSIONS
      >
      > My initial impression was absolute surprise about how light a metal mug this size could be. I have only found aluminum mugs that are close to the weight but are lacking in durability. A strong mug of steel can be nearly twice as heavy. This mug comes with a nice mesh stuff sack.
      >
      > <<IMAGE 1 >>The folding handle stores flat against the sides of the mug and when unfolded and gripped create a very steady grip. The close fitting lid has a well designed draining system that holds the lid on the pot while you pour the unwanted liquid through the slot in the lid. The other side of the lid features a hook that can be used as a handle to lift the lid or to hang the lid from the edge of the pot to dry.
      >
      > The mug also features a scale stamped into the side. This is extremely convenient and easy to use when cooking or making beverages.
      >
      > READING THE INSTRUCTIONS
      >
      > *Any notes on instructions.
      >
      > TRYING IT OUT
      >
      > My initial use of the mug was in Washington State Forest in September 2010. The weather was clear, light wind, about 55 degrees. My usual fare is homemade dried food in a one-quart ziptop bag. Using an alcohol stove, I boiled water in the mug, poured it in the ziptop bag of food and resealed it. After a couple minutes time spent allowed the food to reconstitute, I was able to put the bag in the mug, open the bag and turn the top edge of the bag over the lip of the mug. The diameter was perfect to hold the bag in place with the ziptop turned down over the rim of the mug!
      >
      > The second use of the mug was on Rocky Mount in Shenandoah National Park. I decided that I would simmer my dinner directly in the pot, without the ziptop bag in place to keep my mug clean. During cleanup, I was happy to find that the metal's finish was easy to clean. The size of the mug was such that I had no trouble getting my large hands down inside to give it a good scrubbing.
      >
      > Overall, the mug functions beyond my expectations. I have taken this single mug / pot on about 5 weekend backpacking trips. Other than the discoloration from smoke, this mug shows no wear, damage, or dents. I do not need to worry about crushing this mug in the bottom of my pack because of it's strength. The straining clips keep the lid on reasonably well and hold my other kitchen items inside without the use of the supplied mesh stuff sack.
      >
      > TESTING STRATEGY
      >
      > *Your testing strategy. This can probably come from your Application, but feel free to elaborate.
      >
      > SUMMARY
      >
      > What I liked:
      > -lightweight
      > -strong
      > -clever straining system
      > -folding handle
      >
      > What I didn't like:
      > -premium cost - minor consideration because it's all I need
      > and I'm sure I won't need to replace it anytime soon

    • Ray
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 12, 2011
        (Let's try this again. The paste I did failed on the post. Grrr...)

        Hello John,

        Welcome to BGT and thank you for your Owner Review, it is a good start. Your initial edits will follow. They will take the following format;

        EDIT: must be changed

        When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added to the subject line. Include your name also please.

        Please notice the form that the review should take in the "Examples", you may also wish to browse the reviews of other experienced members for examples of the proper form.

        A helpful tool is the Mentoring Program that teams new reviewers with experienced veterans to help get them through their first review(s). If you'd like more assistance or guidance with the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to the mentor coordinator, Jenn, at mentor@...

        Ray

        ***SNOW PEAK TITANIUM TREK 700 MUG

        EDIT: it is called the Snow Peak Trek 700 cook pot, not mug

        ***TEST SERIES BY John MacDowall

        EDIT: I see you are using the Report Writer. You need to go back and choose "Owner Review" not "Test Series" as it is the wrong template for what you want.

        ***LOCATION: Northern Virginia

        EDIT: need the country too

        ***I've been sleeping in the woods since I was a teenager when my kit was a
        homemade, wooden frame pack, a horse blanket, and a cast-iron skillet.

        EDIT: delete the comma after "homemade"

        ***Today, I carry a pack that tends to the lightweight side, saving weight for a thicker pad and a failproof stove.

        EDIT: fail-proof

        *** I generally like to do 5-10 miles a day, with an emphasis on enjoying the trees, not mileage.

        EDIT: need the metric conversion for the distances

        ***Listed Weight: 4.80 oz ( 136 g)

        EDIT: delete "0" in 4.8 and space after starting parenthesis

        ***Measured Weight: 4.6 oz ( 130 g)

        EDIT: delete space after starting parenthesis

        ***Capacity: 24 fluid oz
        ***Size: D 4.2" H 4.4"

        EDIT: need the metric conversions

        ***INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

        OK John, I am going to stop here and have you redo the review as an Owner Review and not as a test series. Please go look at other reviews from veterans. See how they have a product description section, then a field conditions/places used etc. section. Last comes the review itself with your thoughts about how the item works for you in the field.

        Once you get it reworked Repost here and we will keep moving forward.
      • John M
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 13, 2011
          Snow Peak Trek 700 Titanium Cooker
          BY JOHN MACDOWALL
          OR
          March 30, 2011

          TESTER INFORMATION

          NAME: John MacDowall
          EMAIL: jmacdowall@...
          AGE: 45
          LOCATION: Northern Virginia, USA
          GENDER: M
          HEIGHT: 6' 0" (2.10 m)
          WEIGHT: 210 lb (95.30 kg)

          I've been sleeping in the woods since I was a teenager when my kit was a homemade wooden frame pack, a horse blanket, and a cast-iron skillet. Today, I carry a pack that tends to the lightweight side, saving weight for a thicker pad and a fail-proof stove. I am a Sierra Club Outings Leader, taking public groups backpacking in Northern Virginia. I am certified in Wilderness First Aid and carry a complete first aid kit and survival gear on every outing. I generally like to do 5-10 miles (8-16K) with an emphasis on enjoying the trees, not mileage.

          PRODUCT INFORMATION

          Manufacturer: Snow Peak
          Year of Manufacture: 2010
          Manufacturer's Website: <<link 1>>
          MSRP: US$39.95
          Listed Weight: 4.8 oz (136 g)
          Measured Weight: 4.6 oz (130 g)

          Capacity: 24 fluid oz (0.71L)
          Size: D 4.2" H 4.4" (10.67 x 11.18 cm)
          Material: titanium

          This mug comes with a nice mesh stuff sack. My initial impression was absolute surprise about how light a metal mug this size could be. I have only found aluminum mugs that are close to the weight but are lacking in durability. A strong mug of steel can be nearly twice as heavy.

          <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2">>The folding handle stores flat against the sides of the mug and when unfolded and gripped create a very steady grip. The closefitting lid has a well designed draining system that holds the lid on the pot while you pour the unwanted liquid through the slot in the lid. The other side of the lid features a hook that can be used as a handle to lift the lid or to hang the lid from the edge of the pot to dry.

          The mug also features a scale stamped into the side. This is extremely convenient and easy to use when cooking or making beverages when you need to measure ingredients or just to make sure your instant coffee will be the right octane.

          FIELD USE

          My initial use of the mug was in Washington State Forest in September 2010. The weather was clear, light wind, about 55 degrees. My usual fare is homemade dried food in a one-quart ziptop bag. Using an alcohol stove, I boiled water in the mug, poured it in the ziptop bag of food and resealed it. After a couple minutes time spent allowed the food to reconstitute, I was able to put the bag in the mug, open the bag and turn the top edge of the bag over the lip of the mug. The diameter was perfect to hold the bag in place with the ziptop turned down over the rim of the mug!<<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1">>

          The second use of the mug was on Rocky Mount in Shenandoah National Park. I decided that I would simmer my dinner directly in the pot, without the ziptop bag in place to keep my mug clean. During cleanup, I was happy to find that the metal's finish was easy to clean. The size of the mug was such that I had no trouble getting my large hands down inside to give it a good scrubbing.

          My regular use of the pot is as a coffee cup. I boil about 10 oz of water in this pot over my stove. Upon boil, I remove the pot from the stove, add some coffee powder and stir. By the time that the coffee is ready to drink, the sides and lip of the pot are cooled enough to drink right from the pot. The titanium metal from which this pot is made cools very quickly to allow one to drink right from the pot. This works great in seasonable weather. When the tempurature is low enough for me to wear my coat, I pour my beverage into an insulated mug, otherwise any hot drink will not be.

          SUMMARY

          My only concern with this pot is the shape. This is a tall and narrow pot. When in use with my alcohol stove (pictured) , it is a little too narrow and the flames miss the bottom of the pot. When in use with a stove with a more focused burner, such as my MSR Pocket Rocket, the flames are centered on the bottom of the pot. This pot also integrates with the Pocket Rocket very well because the pot can hold the fuel bottle and the stove for packing.

          THINGS I LIKE

          -lightweight
          -strong
          -clever straining system
          -folding handle

          THINGS I DON'T LIKE

          -premium cost - minor consideration because it's all I need and I'm sure I won't need to replace it anytime soon

          SIGNATURE

          John MacDowall

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 14, 2011
            Hi John,

            This is looking better. Please put "Repost" in the subject line next time as Jamie uses this to track the progress of the editing process. So yours would be:

            Repost Owner Report SNOW PEAK TREK 700 John MacDowall

            Here is this round of edits. Repost here when corrected please. You can also put a HTML copy in the Owner Review Test Folder. It is found at the end of the list of reviews on the main page or here:

            http://tinyurl.com/4mfwa

            support group:

            BGTFileUploadHelp @

            Please let me have a link to the review or at least the name once you have it uploaded.

            *** I generally like to do 5-10 miles (8-16K) with an emphasis on enjoying the trees, not
            mileage.

            EDIT: need a space before k (8-16 k)

            ***The folding handle stores flat against the sides of the mug and when unfolded and gripped create a very steady grip.

            Edit: leaving out "and gripped" makes this sentence read better.

            ***The closefitting lid has a well designed draining system that holds the lid on
            the pot while you pour the unwanted liquid through the slot in the lid.

            EDIT: We keep everything in the first person, no "you"s, just "me" and "I". Here is my canned explanation.

            Projection

            "When you tighten the laces on the boots, you pull the shoestrings in an out and upward motion. Then you tie it with a double knot and you are ready to go down the trail."

            This is a very common way to write, but in doing so we just said what "other people" would do, not our self. This is projecting our thoughts onto the reader. We do not know how other people tie their shoes. We keep away from "you" and "your" in our writing.

            We are writing a review of "our" gear based on "our" experiences. So we need to keep it in the first person. Here is how it should look;

            "When I tighten the laces on the boots, I pull the shoestrings in an out and upward motion. Then I tie it with a double knot and I'm ready to go down the trail."

            ***The mug also features a scale stamped into the side.

            Edit: you may want to state that it is a measuring scale and what units are marked.

            *** or just to make sure your instant coffee will be the right octane.

            EDIT: the you thing again. How about "my instant coffee"

            ***My initial use of the mug

            EDIT: it is a pot not a mug, please correct all instances of this.

            *** The weather was clear, light wind, about 55 degrees.

            EDIT: need the metric conversion

            *** My usual fare is homemade dried food in a one-quart ziptop bag. Using an alcohol stove, I boiled water in the mug, poured it in the ziptop bag

            EDIT: zip-top (look for all instances please)

            ***After a couple minutes time spent allowed the food to reconstitute,

            EDIT: allowing

            *** The titanium metal from which this pot is made cools very quickly to allow one to
            drink right from the pot.

            EDIT: to allow me to drinkĀ…

            *** When the tempurature is low enough for me to wear my coat,

            EDIT: temperature

            ***I pour my beverage into an insulated mug, otherwise any hot drink will not be.

            EDIT: will not be what?

            ***My only concern with this pot is the shape. This is a tall and narrow pot.
            When in use with my alcohol stove (pictured) , it is a little too narrow and the
            flames miss the bottom of the pot.

            Comment: I use a Trail Designs 12-20 stove with mine and it hits perfect. You may look at making one of that style.

            ***This pot also integrates with the Pocket Rocket very well because the pot can hold the fuel bottle and the stove for packing.

            EDIT: can hold the fuel "canister"