OR - Injinji Midweight Performance Toesocks - Kathy Waters

  • Kathy Waters
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 6, 2011
      Hi, People!

      Below is the text for an OR on Injinji socks for your marking pen. The HTML
      can be found in the OR test folder at: http://tinyurl.com/3jwyy9y

      Be gentle with me, it's been a rough couple of weeks <g>!

      Thanks,
      Kathy
      __________________________________

      INJINJI MIDWEIGHT PERFORMANCE TOESOCKS
      BY KATHLEEN WATERS

      APRIL 7, 2011
      OWNER REVIEW

      TESTER INFORMATION
      NAME: Kathleen Waters
      EMAIL: kathy@...
      AGE: 60
      LOCATION: Canon City, Colorado, USA
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 4" (1.60 m)
      WEIGHT: 125 lb (56.70 kg)

      Living in Colorado and being self-employed, I have ample opportunities to
      backpack. There are over 700,000 acres/280,000 hectares of public land
      bordering my 71-acre/29-hectare "backyard" in addition to all the other
      gorgeous locations which abound in Colorado. Over the past 15 years, my
      husband John and I have also had the good fortune to hike/snowshoe glaciers,
      rain forests, mountains and deserts in exotic locations, including New
      Zealand, Iceland, Costa Rica, Slovenia and Death Valley. My hiking style is
      comfortable, aiming for lightweight. I use a tent (rainfly if needed).
      Current pack averages 25 lb (11 kg) excluding food and water.
      PRODUCT INFORMATION
      Manufacturer: Injinji
      Year of Manufacture: 2010
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.injinji.com
      MSRP: US$ 16.00
      Listed Weight: N/A
      Measured Weight: 2.3 oz (66 g)
      Sizes Available: S, M, L, XL
      Size Reviews: S
      Colors Available: Black Grey & Grey/White
      Color Reviewed: Black Grey

      Other details:

      Length: Mini-Crew
      Cushion Level: Midweight
      Fabric Content: 60% CoolMax® 35% Nylon 5% Lycra®

      "RECOMENDED FOR: RUNNING / WALKING / CYCLING
      TRACK & FIELD / CROSS TRAINING / MULTI - SPORT"
      Picture Courtesy of Injinji

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      These Socks are Made for Walking (sorry Nancy!)
      Well, let's see...how to describe the Injinji Performance Midweight Toesocks
      (hereafter called the "Toesocks")? Hmmm. It is a midweight sock with TOES?

      All kidding aside, when I finished inspecting these Toesocks I found nothing
      too much else obviously out of the ordinary. The Toesocks are mini-crew
      length which means the cuff falls just about an inch (2.5 cm) over my ankle
      and end in a 1/2 in (1.5 cm) folded inward and stitched down cuff. They are
      thicker than my Injinji liners but a bit thinner than other midweight socks
      I own. The stitching is a tightly woven knit that is soft and smooth except
      over the top mid-foot area where the material has a patterned texture. A
      band of multiple horizontal elasticized threads for additional support atop
      the arch area of the Toesocks measures 1.5 in (4 cm).

      Since the Toesocks have individual toe sleeves, they are obviously
      foot-specific, i.e., there is a proper right foot and a proper left foot.
      Also, unlike a tube-type sock, there is a definite heel even more so than my
      other Injinji socks. As can be seen in the picture, these Toesocks can
      actually stand up on their own. Kinda creepy-looking but cool, too!

      On the left outside of each Toesock, the cuff sports a 1.5 in (4 cm) red
      cloth "Injinji" tag which helps me see immediately which Toesock goes on
      which foot - labels face outward.

      FIELD USE AND PERFORMANCE
      Up until February, I had been experiencing an unseasonably warm and dry
      winter. While the west slope mountains of the Rockies got pounded with snow,
      the east side (Front Range) experienced record lows in precipitation. We
      experienced only one snowfall which measured less than 6 inches (15 cm). In
      order to find snow for our annual family Christmas Snowshoe, we had to drive
      into the mountains. Even on Mt. Evans, a 14,000+ ft (4300 m) peak, at 10,000
      ft (3000 m), there wasn't enough snow! We ended up just hiking in winter
      boots but I digress.

      I spent the last two weeks of February in Estes Park, Colorado where I did
      short (2-3 hours) dayhikes everyday. Estes Park is the eastern gateway to
      Rocky Mountain National Park, so the terrain is mountainous, heavily
      forested and begins at an elevation of 7522 ft (2293 m). While it was very
      sunny, it never hit the freezing mark and the winds were harsh averaging
      10-15 mph (16-24 kph) with gusts up to 50 mph (81 kph). Humidity levels were
      higher than I'm used to in Colorado - about 41-45%.

      Picture Courtesy of Injinji

      To counter the winter conditions of Colorado, I traveled down to Palm City,
      Florida for three weeks where I immediately was shocked with temperatures
      ranging from 56-84 F (13-29 C) and humidity levels upwards of 45%. My beach
      walking time was limited, but I still managed to get out there 3 times for
      several hours.
      In between the Colorado and Florida extremes, I visited family in New Jersey
      for two weeks where it rained almost every day. The temperatures were pretty
      constantly about freezing.

      Other than the two above listed trips, all of my outdoor activities have
      been in the mountains of Colorado, mostly south central Colorado in the
      Fremont, Cooper and Wet mountain ranges.

      So, I'd venture to say, I've worn the Toesocks on at least a dozen
      occasions - day snowshoe or boot hikes and numerous other shorter hikes
      around our property, down the road to the mail box (5 miles/8 km round trip)
      and while sneaking treats to my neighbors' horses!

      I've worn the Toesocks with all sorts of footwear, shoes, boots and sandals.

      Injinji prints instructions on their packaging as to how to put on the
      Toesocks. Having worn Toesocks, I didn't need to read them. I just followed
      my usual method of grasping the Toesocks from the top, scrunching it down a
      bit like any other sock and sliding my foot into it. It's very obvious as to
      which Toesock belongs on the right or left foot by the length of the toes.

      Removing the Toesocks is just as easy. If I am planning on wearing them
      again before washing, I simply grasp the tips of the five toes and gently
      pull the off after pushing the tops down to my arches. If I am washing the
      Toesocks, I pull them off from the tops so as to turn the Toesocks inside
      out.

      Once the socks were on, other than an unusual sense of warmth and comfort, I
      basically would forget the Toesocks were on my feet. There wasn't any
      distraction of "there's something-between-my-toes" as I had expected before
      encountering the Injinji liners.

      Unlike some mini-crew socks I've worn, the Injinji Toesocks stayed put. I
      did not once have the sensation the Toesocks were creeping downward into my
      boots.

      The Injinji Toesocks fit the bill for keeping my piggy toes warm and dry.
      Yet, even in the Florida heat, I found they didn't make my feet sweat any
      more than any other sock - thin or thick. And they wicked whatever moisture
      my feet produced with nary a blister. They performed wonderfully in keeping
      me from thinking about my feet these past 2 months. That's the test of good
      footwear for me because if I am thinking about my feet it's because my feet
      are not happy!

      I love wearing hiking sandals on trails whenever it is warm enough to do so,
      but between the sweating of my feet against the soles of the sandals, the
      dirt/sand which works its way under my feet and combines with the sweat to
      make mud, and the prickly vegetation, I didn't often do so. With the
      addition of the Injinji Midweight Performance Toesocks, I now have a very
      functional sandal "sock" and I can retire my Injinji liners which I was
      previously using for that purpose. Yay!

      While I'm getting used to the look of the Toesocks, I realize some folks are
      taken aback when they see them for the first time. They are a great
      conversation starter and people I meet are generally curious as to how they
      feel. "GREAT," I always tell them. I am a sock collector and love colorful
      socks. Perhaps, Injinji could paint on bright toe nail polish to add some
      fun to these very functional socks?

      Though I've worn the Toesocks for 3 days straight on one occasion, I've
      never been aware of any "stink". I have broken down and machine-washed the
      Toesocks several times now; turned inside-out in cold water and air-dried. I
      haven't noticed any external wear on them. The Toesocks haven't shrunk or
      lost their shape and still stay put when I am wearing them. I can still
      easily pull them on without difficulty in positioning my toes into the
      sleeves.
      STAR ATTRACTIONS
      1.) Very comfortable and warm.
      2.) Keeps my toes from getting sweaty and blistering.
      3.) Has good padding on the soles with a true "heel" for a good fit
      4.) Toesocks are a great conversation starter around camp, on the trail or
      in town!
      MINOR DISTRACTIONS
      1.) Only one and it's not a fault of the Toesocks - I prefer to wear a crew
      sock in the winter so as to be able to tuck ny base layer pants into them or
      to pull them over the base layer. Just my quirkiness. (my next pair will be
      the crews!)
      SUMMARY
      The Performance Midweight Toesocks from Injinji were not my first pair of
      Injinji toesocks. I already had Injinji liners and the Outdoor Series
      mini-crew trail toesocks. This latest acquisition has just reinforced my
      belief that I need MORE!

      With its comfortable fit, no friction toes, padded sole and great wicking,
      what's not to like?

      I'm so glad I've added the Performance Midweight Toesocks to my sock drawer!

      Thank you, Injinji, for making such a quality product!

      Kathleen (Kathy) Waters
      This report was created with the BackpackGearTest.org Report Writer Version
      1.5 Copyright 2011. All rights reserved
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 9, 2011

        Edit Administration Manager
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 12, 2011
          Hi Kathy,

          We meet again. I bought three pair of the Outdoor model (just a bit thicker) last year and like them a lot too. Well here are your edits. You can place the corrected review here:

          Reviews > Clothing > Socks > Injinji Midweight Toesock

          See you down the trail,

          Ray

          ***Size Reviews: S

          EDIT: Reviewed

          ***Colors Available: Black Grey & Grey/White
          ***Color Reviewed: Black Grey

          EDIT need to use the / with both colors or not at all

          ***these Toesocks can actually stand up on their own. Kinda creepy-looking but cool, too!

          Comment: just what I thought when I saw it. ;-)

          ***The Injinji Toesocks fit the bill for keeping my piggy toes warm and dry.

          Comment: just a suggestion but, "The Injinji Toesocks fit the bill for keeping my ten little piggies warm and dry", sounds less like you have rotund toes.

          ***While I'm getting used to the look of the Toesocks, I realize some folks are taken aback when they see them for the first time. They are a great conversation starter

          Comment: ha try the Five Fingers for real funny looks…

          *** I prefer to wear a crew sock in the winter so as to be able to tuck ny base layer

          EDIT: "my" base layer
        • Kathy Waters
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 14, 2011
            Ray,

            Thanks for the edits. I've corrected, deleted and uploaded. I'd love to try the Five Fingers, too. Maybe this summer!