OR- Western Mountaineering Versalite Sleeping Bag- Eric Jenness

  • Murt
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 2011
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OR-Western%20Mountaineering%20Versalite-Eric%20Jenness/

      Would love some feedback, been meaning to join BGT for over 7 (count 'em): years. Thanks.

      Western Mountaineering Versalite 10 Degree Sleeping Bag

      Tester Bio
      Name: Eric Jenness
      Age: 23
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6'3
      Weight:205 lbs (93 kg)
      E-mail Address: murtmurtagh@...
      City, State, Country: Point Judith, RI, USA
      Date: April 1, 2011
      Backpacking Experience: I've been backpacking since I was small and love it. I try to go out for longer trips when I can, sometimes several months at a time. I tend to be extremely rough on my gear so I shop with durability in mind.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Sierra Designs
      Year of Manufacture: 2004
      Listed Weight: 2 lbs,2 oz (.91 kg)
      Actual Weight at Purchase: 2 lbs, 3 oz (.96 kg)
      Length: 6'6 (1.98 m)
      Girth at Shoulder, Hip, and Foot (from WM website):63"/54"/39" (160/137/99 cm)
      Loft when purchased in 2004:6" (15 cm)
      Current Loft (2011):3" (8 cm)
      Fill: 20 oz (567 g)
      Temp Rating at Original Purchase: 20 degrees F (-7 C)
      Revised Temp Rating from Manufacturer: 10 degrees F (-12 C)
      Stuff size: 8" x 15" (20 x 38 cm)
      Materials: 800 fill down, 0.8 oz/yd (200 g/m) ripstop nylon, #5 YKK two-way zipper

      The Western Mountaineering Versalite is a 3-season ultralight mumy-style down sleeping bag with continuous baffles, a full (top and bottom) cinchable draft collar and cinchable hood. A full-length zipper runs down the side, with an insulated draft tube running alongside it and a length of stiffening material sewn underneath the adjacent babric to prevent zipper snagging. The lining and exterior are the same fabric with the exception of a water repellent coating on the exterior.
      It comes with a polyurethane-coated nylon stuff sack weighing 2.5 oz (71 g) and a large cotton storage bag.

      Field Conditions

      I purchased this thing in 2004 and have used it in nearly every conceivable situation since. It has travelled with me to 48 states, Canada, Mexico, and the Middle East and been used in all four seasons in temperatures between -30 (-34 C) and 70 degrees F (21 C). I estimate I have slept in it about 800 or 900 nights. It has been on marine adventures as well as land ones and has survived 4000 miles on the Appalachian Trail.

      Observations

      When I first purchased the Versalite I stayed warm at about 10 degrees (-12 C) with long underwear and a light fleece on. Western Mountaineering changed the rating the next year to 10 degrees from 20 without altering the bag specifications. For the average male I would say this is accurate. Excessive wear and compaction has packed down much of the fill and it has lost its original warmth. With long underwear I would say 41 degrees would now be an accurate rating.
      The durable water repellent (DWR) coating on the exterior vanished within the first year. The footbox end of the zipper was resewn in spring 2007 after it kept coming apart. The zipper finally expired a year later, upon which I cut it off and have since used it as a quilt. The bungee cord in the draft collar bunched up after 4 or 5 years and no longer worked. The fabric, despite its light weight, has lasted surprisingly well. In 7 years I have had less than a dozen small rips or tears. I would recommend this line of lightweight bags for even the most extreme circumstances, despite the manufacturer's warnings.
      WM customer service is quite reachable and friendly. I called them at least twice in the history of this bag.
      I have "cowboy-camped" or slept without a tent in this bag for much of it's life, and it originally kept the wind off quite well by itself. With age I would say gusts now penetrate it. When new the DWR beaded water off to a small extent but gave in quickly to any heavy dripping from above.
      The bag is extremely comfortable and well proportioned for a broad-shouldered man. The hood is well-designed and the fabric drapes well over one's body. In high temperatures, above the 50s, the fabric can be sweaty and clammy on bare skin.
      The zipper always tended to snag upon the insulated draft tube, which lacks the stiffener the adjacent fabric has. Care must be taken when opening or closing it.

      Summary

      This has been my favorite piece of gear for the better part of a decade. It is now almost completely worn out but I treasure it for sentimental value. It also still makes a fairly lightweight summer bag.
    • Edward
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2011
        Hello Eric,

        Thanks for the OR. Please don't upload an OR to a folder until after you have been edited, until after you have filed your first two ORS. The folder you selected is for current manufacturer gear tests, not owner reviews--I have deleted your upload. Your OR will be added to the queue and you will receive editing in due course, and you will be given the appropriate folder at that time. Thanks!

        Ted

        Senior Edit Moderator

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 4, 2011

          Edit Administration Manager
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 29, 2011
            RICHARD - Eric Jenness(1) - Western Mountaineering Versalite 10 Degree Sleeping Bag - Posted Apr 3(msg#80145), Taken Apr 11, Edit April 11(80175),

            Hi Eric,
            Following a review of our Owner Review queue at BackpackGearTest.org I noticed you have not responded to the Edit given for the above Owner's Review, which was posted by Richard back on 11 April. Please refer to message number 80175 at

            Edit Administration Manager