OR- Big Agnes Sleeping Pad- Nancy Griffith

  • Nancy Griffith
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 21, 2011
      Hi OR Team,

      I've worked on this one for way too long...time to get it posted.  I'm not sure
      if it's still worth a brownie point.  Here are the link and text.

      Thanks for taking a look and providing edits.

      Nancy

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR-%20Big%20Agnes%20Sleeping%20Pad-%20Nancy%20Griffith/

      http://tinyurl.com/6gqmhky

      BIG AGNES INSULATED AIR CORE PAD
      BY NANCY GRIFFITH
      OR
      March 21, 2011

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Nancy Griffith
      EMAIL: bkpkrgirlATyahooDOTcom
      AGE: 44
      LOCATION: Northern California, USA
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 6" (1.68 m)
      WEIGHT: 130 lb (59.00 kg)

      My outdoor experience began in high school with involvement in a local
      canoeing/camping group called Canoe Trails.  The culmination was a 10-day canoe
      voyage through the Quebec wilds.  I've been backpacking since my college days in
      Pennsylvania.  I have completed all of the Appalachian Trail in Georgia,
      Tennessee and North Carolina.  My typical trip now is in the Sierra Nevada in
      California and is from a few days to a week long.  I carry a light to mid-weight
      load, use a tent, stove and hiking poles.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Insulated Air Core"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Photo
      courtesy of Big Agnes">>Manufacturer: Big Agnes
      Year of Manufacture: 2007
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.bigagnes.com" LINK
      TEXT = "http://www.bigagnes.com">>
      MSRP: $79.95 US
      Listed Weight: 24 oz (680 g)
      Measured Weight: 25.9 oz (734 g)
      Size Tested: Rectangular, Regular: 20 in x 72 in (51 cm x183 cm)

      Available in multiple sizes listed below with weights and price:
      20 in (51 cm) x 66 in (168 cm) x 2.5 in (6.25 cm); 22oz (624 g); $74.95 US
      20 in (51 cm) x 72 in (183 cm) x 2.5 in (6.25 cm); 24oz (680 g); $79.95 US
      20 in (51 cm) x 78 in (198 cm) x 2.5 in (6.25 cm); 27oz (765 g); $84.95 US
      25 in (64 cm) x 78 in (198 cm) x 2.5 in (6.25 cm); 2 lb 4oz (1.02 kg); $109.95
      US
      20 in (51 cm) x 60 in (152 cm) x 2.5 in (6.25 cm); 18oz (510 g); $74.95 US
      20 in (51 cm) x 72 in (183 cm) x 2.5 in (6.25 cm); 21oz (595 g); $79.95 US
      20 in (51 cm) x 78 in (198 cm) x 2.5 in (6.15 cm); 23oz (652 g); $84.95 US
      The pad is 50D nylon on top and bottom with PrimaLoft™ eco: synthetic insulation
      made from 50% recycled materials.  The construction is I-Beam to help reduce
      cold spots and is also supposed to decrease inflation/deflation times.  There
      are 7 lengthwise air chambers.  The inside surface is coated with polyurethane.
      The valve is brass with a plastic coating.  The temperature rating is 15 F (-9
      C).
      The pad comes with a stuff sack and repair kit. The repair kit is in a small
      pocket on the inside of the stuff sack.
      EZ-Flate Valve instructions: Twist black part of valve counter-clockwise to
      open. Blow into valve to inflate. Hold gray portion of valve in mouth while
      spinning black portion clockwise to close.

      FIELD USE

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Stuff Sack"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Photo courtesy of
      Big Agnes">>I have used this pad for backpacking and camping over the past 4
      seasons.  In total I'd estimate that I have used it for 56 nights of backpacking
      and another 10 nights of camping/home use.  Locations ranged from the Northeast
      (Maine and New Hampshire) to the Southwest (Utah and Arizona) to the Northwest
      (Washington) with most of the use being in the Sierra Nevada of California.
      Conditions varied widely from below freezing to summer warmth and from rainy to
      clear skies and from sea level to 12,139 ft (3,700 m) elevation.  We've also
      used them for car camping and at home when accommodating extra guests.
      Some examples of backpacking uses include:
      Tahoe Rim Trail (Northern Sierra Nevada mountains, California): 2 nights; 7,390
      to 9,010 ft (2,252 to 2,746 m) elevation; 50 to 65 F (10 to 18 C)
      King's Canyon National Park (Southern Sierra Nevada mountains, California) : 6
      nights;  5,000 to 11,978 ft (1524 to 3651 m) elevation; 22 to 65 F (-6 to 18 C)
      Mount Whitney, Southern Sierra Nevada (California): 2 nights; camped at 12,139
      ft (3,700 m) elevation; 35 to 55 F (1 to 13 C).
      Mount Rainer Northern Loop (Washington): 5 nights; 1,700 to 6,740 ft (518 to
      2054 m) elevation; 55 to 65 F (13 to 18 C)
      Arizona Superstition Wilderness: 2 nights; 3,620 to 5,360 ft (1,100 to 1,630 m)
      elevation; 32 to 85 F (0 to 29 C)
      Appalachian Trail, White Mountains (New Hampshire): 2 nights; 2,032 to 5,367 ft
      (619 to 1,636 m) elevation; 45 to 70 F (7 to 21 C)
      La Verkin Creek Trail, Zion National Park (Utah): 2 nights; 20 mi (32 km); 5,413
      to 6,070 ft (1,650 to 1,850 m) elevation; 40 to 75 F (4 to 24 C)
      Wonderland Trail, Mount Rainier National Park, Washington: 10 nights; 100 mi
      (161 km); 2,600 to 7,200 ft (792 to 2,195 m) elevation; 32 to 62 F (0 to 17 C)
      Point Reyes National Seashore, California: 2 nights; 21 mi (34 km); 0 to 1,407
      ft (429 m) elevation; 40 to 55 F (4 to 13 C)
      Camping:
      Baxter State Park, Maine: 3 nights; 1,079 ft (329 m); 38 to 65 F (3 to 18 C)
      We purchased two of these pads for use with our Big Agnes double-wide sleeping
      bag.  After about 13 nights, one of the pads started to leak.  We tried to
      repair it but had a very difficult time finding any leak.  <<IMAGE GOES HERE.
      ALT TEXT = "valve"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Photo courtesy of Big Agnes">>Despite
      submerging it in the bathtub and in the hot tub, it was nearly impossible to
      force out any air.  But over the course of a night of sleeping the pad would
      deflate.  We ended up buying a Big Agnes non-insulated pad and eventually sent
      the leaking one back to Big Agnes for repair.  I had no intention of it being a
      warranty repair since we may have caused some slight abrasion that was allowing
      the air to leak slowly.  In just a few days I received acknowledgement that they
      had received it.  Then after a very short time, a new pad arrived in the mail at
      no charge.
      The pads definitely provide more insulation than the pad without it.  In
      temperatures below approximately 40 F (4 C), I really appreciate the added
      insulation.  On one snow camping trip, I used it with a closed cell foam pad
      beneath it.  Otherwise I always used it as the sole sleeping pad.
      The pad is easy to inflate even at high elevation after a long day of
      backpacking although I have to admit that my husband does most of the work.  The
      best part is the comfort level.  It reminds me of sleeping on one of those thick
      home air mattresses like an Aerobed.  With the air adjusted to just the right
      level, I can sleep through the night without even realizing that I'm not in my
      own Tempurpedic bed at home.  I even find it comfortable to sleep on my stomach
      at times.  With too much air, it makes my shoulders start to fall asleep and
      tingle when lying on my side too long.  However, I can adjust this while in my
      sleeping bag by simply finding the valve and letting a little air out.
      I have used the nylon stuff sack for many of our backpacking trips but have also
      carried it folded up as a back support in my pack.  When we get home, I open
      them and store them flat under a bed.

      SUMMARY

      The Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Sleeping Pad is a high quality, very
      comfortable air mattress.

      THINGS I LIKE

      Comfort
      Easy to roll/stuff into stuff sack
      Big Agnes Customer Service
      Insulation helps without much added weight

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      Had problems with leaks

      SIGNATURE

      Nancy Griffith

      Copyright 2011.  All rights reserved.

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 25, 2011

        Edit Administration Manager
      • Derek Hansen
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 31, 2011
          Respectfully submitted! Thank you editors!

          > http://bit.ly/fFmlhB

          Best,

          ~derek

          # # #

          Sierra Designs - Origami Tarp

          Owner Review by Derek Hansen

          TESTER INFORMATION

          Name Derek Hansen
          Age 35
          Gender Male
          Height 5' 10" (1.78 m)
          Weight 165 lb (75 kg)
          Email Address
          City, State, Country Flagstaff, Arizona, USA
          BACKPACKING BACKGROUND

          I am a lightweight backpacker with a typical weekend pack weight of 15 lb (7 kg) and a multi-day weight of 20 lb (9 kg), which includes food and water. I prefer lightweight trail-running shoes and backpacking with a hammock as part of my sleep system.

          PRODUCT INFORMATION

          MANUFACTURER Sierra Designs (Boulder, Colorado, USA)
          YEAR OF MANUFACTURE 2009, made in China
          MANUFACTURER'S WEBSITE sierradesigns.com
          MSRP US$219.95
          LISTED FEATURES
          PVC-free seam tape
          Reflective door trim and/or guy outs
          Fast Pack Footprint compatible
          Vent
          Floor sold separately
          MANUFACTURER RECOMMENDATIONS
          "Ultralight tarp is designed to be used with or without the floor (*Floor sold separately) for summer or winter minimalist backpacking adventures."

          MEASUREMENTS
          TENT
          Weight: 31.54 oz (894 g) - 33.14 oz (940 g) with stuff sack
          Side Length: 73 in (185 cm)

          POLE
          Weight: 10.15 oz (288 g)
          Size: Collapsed - 18 in (46 cm); Short - 50.25 in (128 cm); Long - 58.25 in (148 cm)

          COLOR Light green
          WARRANTY
          "Sierra Designs guarantees that the materials and workmanship in every product we make will stand up to the use for which it was designed. This warranty does not cover damages caused by improper care, accidents or the natural breakdown of materials over extended use and time. All defective or damaged products should be returned to us for evaluation and will be repaired or replaced at our discretion. Damages due to accident or improper care will be repaired at a reasonable rate. Products sent for repair must be cleaned prior to sending."

          PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

          The Sierra Designs Origami Tarp is a five-sided floor-less pyramid-style tent that comes with a single, adjustable pole. There are 10 perimeter tie-outs (five main tie-outs and five in-between tie-outs) and five tie-outs on the midpoint between the peak of the tarp and the base. On the inside of the tarp on the bottom 5 main tie-outs are plastic clips where the optional floor can be attached. On the inside of the tarp, corresponding to the midpoint tie-outs, are nylon ties. Using these interior nylon ties, I can tie up one triangle side to create the 4-sided pyramid.

          The included aluminum pole breaks apart into three sections and is held together by shock cord. The bottom section of the pole is adjustable by means of a spring-loaded button.

          There is a single nylon loop sewn in the interior apex of the tarp where a lantern can be clipped and hung. On the top of the tarp another loop is sewn. This facilitates a guyline to erect the tarp without the use of a center pole.

          My tarp came with a large stuff sack for the kit. Inside the big stuff sack is a small stuff sack with 10 stakes, and a long stuff sack containing the collapsable, adjustable pole. The large stuff sack is more than adequate to fit the tarp plus extra gear (for example, the optional floor). I could easily stuff the tarp to fill half the stuff sack leaving plenty of room for additional gear.

          Each exterior tie-out locations includes a small length of reflective guyline and a plastic quick release adjustment clip for the guyline.

          There is one "door" on the tent/tarp: a zippered enclosure between two of the five panels. There is a nice nylon tie/zipper pull on the outside and inside that facilitates easy opening of the door. The door panels can be opened and secured by means of a plastic/elastic toggle system. On the bottom of the door panels is one snap to more securely "latch" the door panels closed.

          The door zipper has two zipper pulls, one at the top and one at the bottom. This means that I can keep the tent staked down and pull the top zipper down and enter the tarp through the "slit" opening.

          FIELD USE CONDITIONS

          I purchased the Origami tent just prior to leaving Virginia in 2009 and planned to use it while I traveled across the country to Arizona. I ended up using this tent only in the Southwest in locations in Northern Arizona and Southern Utah. Most locations have been near Flagstaff, Arizona, at an elevation of 7000 ft (2100 m). The tent has mostly served during dry, calm conditions, but on two overnight camping trips in Arizona I used the tent in the winter with light snows.

          I pre-tested the tent in my yard during snow storms a couple of times to see how it would handle heavy snow loads. I found that when configured with five sides, the tarp did not hold up well with heavy snow. With only four sides, the tarp shed snow much better, however there is some interior space lost. Because of these backyard tests, I purposely have not taken this tent out when I'm expecting snow, however, the tent has been great when there is snow on the ground. I have pitched the tent and dug out the snow underneath to create a nice space to sleep.

          I took the Origami on a backpacking trip into Snow Canyon State Park in Southern Utah at an elevation of 5000 ft (1524 m) and a total of about 6 miles (10 km). During this trip we experienced low temperatures (low 20s F/-7 C) and high winds.

          FIELD USE RESULTS

          One thing I really like about this tarp is that it is a lightweight solution for sleeping three people. In my case, I can fit myself and four small kids easily. To fit three people, the best solution is to remove the center pole and have all five sides of the tent deployed. With only four sides, the tent is only 73 in (185 cm) long/square, which was just long enough for my frame and reduces the capacity to two persons.

          The included pole can adjust to only two heights, which correspond to the five-sided and four-sided configurations. When I've backpacked with this tent, I usually leave the pole behind and opt instead for using my trekking pole. To fit more than two people, I found that I need to tilt the center pole a little (putting it at an angle). This puts stress on different sides of the tarp and makes it difficult to get a taut pitch on all sides.

          Setting up the tent is not as easy as a dome tent in some respects because there is no floor to retain its basic shape. Because of this, I can easily pull the sides too far and end up with a poor pitch. It often takes a bit of fiddling for me to get all the sides the right distance apart with five sides.

          I found that it is hard to get a good, taut pitch with the sides staked directly to the ground. In this configuration, the sides of the tent really flatten out and a lot of interior space is lost. I found the best "shape" to be had when I pitched the tarp about 4 in (10 cm) off the ground. This leaves a pretty big gap, which helps with venting and breathability, but sometimes that can be bad.

          In one case, while backpacking in Snow Canyon, I had the tent configured with four sides and off the ground about 4 in (10 cm). I didn't bring trekking ples and packed the collapsable pole. There was a slight breeze coming up the canyon before I retired, but in the night the wind really whipped and those gaps allowed all kinds of wind to enter the tent. This made my sleep a bit cold. I've had to take more care to shield the tarp or even build up barriers around the gaps to prevent wind from blowing under the tarp.

          In the winter, when snow is plentiful, this has worked out great. Using a shovel or even just my boot, I was able to pile up snow mounds around the tarp, which allowed me to lift the tarp even further off the ground to create more livable space.

          The instructions provided with the tarp suggest that multiple configurations are available, but the only other one I've tried is to use the Origami with my hammock. The dimensions are just about perfect for a hexagonal tarp, but the zipper prevents the tarp from laying flat, which means I had to set the tent up really high to fit a hammock underneath (I also couldn't use the center pole, for obvious reasons, which meant a really HIGH guy line to pull the center high). This didn't really work well.

          SUMMARY

          The Origami is a versatile pyramid-style tent that can easily convert from five to four sides without much difficulty. I believe this tent can be used in heavy snow only with the steep, four-sided configuration.

          PRO--Lightweight for three people. Pyramid converts to 5 or 4 sides.

          CON--Difficult to get a solid, taut pitch using all 5 sides; the ends tend to flatten out.
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 4, 2011

            Edit Administration Manager