EDIT: OR - GARMIN ETREX H - ERIN HEDDEN

  • Ben Mansfield
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 18 8:47 AM
      Erin,

      Thanks for the OR!  It's a great job for such a complex piece of
      gear... electronics are always hard.

      Below are your edits, in the usual format:

      EDIT: Must be changed
      Edit: Should be changed, but ultimately up to you
      Comment: Just a comment

      Once you've made the edits below please REPOST to the list and
      re-upload to the test folder for one quick and hopefully final look.

      Thanks!

      -Ben

      Edits below...

      #### EDIT: Throughout the document, please use eTrex H as the model
      name (vs. Etrex). This is in numerous places.

      #### Manufacturer's Website: U.S. = Garmin U.S.A. UK = Garmin United Kingdom
      #### EDIT: let's just use one link to the corporate website
      (www.garmin.com). From there users can get to the US site, the UK
      site, or any of the many other country-specific sites Garmin
      maintains.

      #### Unit dimensions, WxHxD: 4.4" x 2.0" x 1.2" (11.2 x 5.1 x 3.0 cm) \
      #### EDIT: there's a \ at the end of the line

      #### PC Interface: USB (sold seperatly)
      #### EDIT: separately
      #### EDIT: The Garmin website indicates that this model comes with a
      serial interface, not a USB interface. Please clarify what is
      included with the unit, and if you bought any accessories (a USB
      adapter, for example), please mention that separately.

      #### FIELD INFORMATION
      #### EDIT: Please include in this section some statement of how many
      times you might have used it hiking and backpacking. This could be as
      simple as saying "I've used this GPS receiver on more than a dozen
      trips" or "every other month for the past two years" or similar. If
      you have detailed records of when and where you used it, those are
      even better (you might actually have this if you saved the route
      tracks).

      #### mountain passes, sub alpine forrest and prairie.
      #### EDIT: forest

      #### after 8 inches of snowfall
      #### EDIT: unit conversion

      #### WEATHER CONDITIONS
      #### Comment: reading your weather descriptions, the reader is left
      wondering how well the unit worked in extreme heat as well as in quite
      cold conditions. I know that my Garmin is slow to boot and slow to
      refresh the display in extreme cold. You might consider adding some
      experiences here about how well it worked (or didn't) in these
      extremes. I'd also be curious to know if you noticed any battery life
      differences at either end of the temperature range. Maybe these
      comments belong here, or they could also go in the field performance
      section.

      #### gave the Etrex H a proper soaking
      #### Comment: similar comment to above... so the unit is waterproof?
      any issues with getting it wet?

      #### one which produced a tornado 15 miles (24 km) southeast of my position
      #### Comment: yikes! that must have been pretty interesting.

      #### Page Down - Does the same as the page up button.
      #### Edit: not exactly, right? It goes down, not up?

      #### Enter - Confims data entry or meny selection
      #### EDIT: Confirms
      #### EDIT: menu

      #### By pressing the UP or DOWN buttons the unit will cycle through
      other trip infomation such as a maximum speed,
      #### EDIT: information

      #### <As seen in manual picture of the different pages>
      #### EDIT: Please indicate in a caption or somewhere where this
      picture comes from (i.e. give the manufacturer credit, if it's their
      graphic, which I assume it is.). If you got it from a random website
      please take it out as only your pictures and manufacturer pictures are
      allowed.

      #### Battery Life
      #### Comment: You might also indicate the manufacturer's claimed
      battery life in this section.

      #### Startup Time
      7.98 s to "Acquiring Satellites"
      17.17 s to satellite acquisition
      #### Edit: These are pretty precise numbers. Are these your
      measurements, or where did they come from? If they're from Garmin
      please say so. If they're your measurements it's probably OK to round
      them to 8 and 17 seconds, respectively. Is the satellite acquisition
      number dependent on the signal strength, location, clear view of the
      sky, etc?

      #### this can be used to backtrack back to the start point
      #### EDIT: this can be used to backtrack to the start point

      #### Entering in a route is also simple enough to accomplish and follow.
      #### Comment: You might describe the steps at a high level so the
      reader gets a feel for what is involved.

      #### I found it a good choice for myself for both
      #### EDIT: good choice for me for both

      #### Comment: Some additional things would be useful to the reader, I
      think. For example, you don't mention if any base map comes included
      with the unit - in other words is there a map on there or is it just
      blank, with lat/lon? Can a map be added? Does it come with any PC
      software? If so what can you do with that, and how does it interface
      with the unit? Ultimately it's your choice if you want to add these
      items or not.