OWNER REVIEW - Product Name: 54-015 - 14oz. FatMax AntiVibe Drywall Hammer

  • Colt Pini
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 14 11:08 PM
      Product Name: 54-015 - 14oz. FatMax AntiVibe Drywall Hammer

      Owner Review by Colt Pini
      DATE: 3-14-11

      TESTER INFORMATION

      Name: Colt Pini
      Age: 27
      Gender: male
      Height: 6'3" (191 cm)
      weight: 265 lbs. (120 Kilograms)
      Email address: coltpini@...
      City, State, Country: Flagstaff, Arizona, USA
      Date: March 12, 2011

      Backpacking Background: I haven't been backpacking enough to have a "style" though I am usually the mule in carrying the heavy gear. I have been in the outdoors most of my life and have camped in southern Utah and Arizona. I love fishing and try to stop by as many lakes as I can along the trail.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Stanley
      Year of Manufacture: Current
      Manufacturer's Website: www.stanleytools.com
      MSRP: $29.99

      Specs:
      Visual Description: A sturdy hammer / hatchet with a steel handle and a yellow and black rubber grip.
      Listed Dimensions: length - 13.5" (342.9mm)
      Measured Dimensions: length - 14" (355.6mm) width (across the blade) - 5.75" (146mm)
      Weight: 14 oz. (396.8 grams)

      Warranty:
      "LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY
      Stanley warrants this product to the original purchaser for its useful life (not to exceed one year for products with electrical or electronic components) against deficiencies in material and workmanship. This LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY does not cover products that are improperly used, abused, altered or repaired. Deficient products will be replaced or repaired."

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:

      (product image)

      - Patented tuning fork design reduces harmful vibration that can cause wrist and arm injuries.
      - Forged, one-piece steel construction for increased strength and durability
      - Rim temper reduces incidences of chipping or spalling
      - Ergonomically designed handle with rubber grip for increased comfort and performance

      FIELD USE CONDITIONS AND RESULTS:

      I have used this hammer / hatchet on every campout for the last three years and for several projects around the house. This is one of the most useful tools I have as it pulls, prys, nails, pounds, chops, sparks, splits, hangs, supports and just about anything else. I have used it to fell small trees and strip and cut logs (upto about 6 inch diam.).

      The blade stays sharp under great abuse. The metal is a high quality and shows little more than minor scrapes. There has been no denting or bending of any kind. The handle is a rubber grip keeps it from sliding or slipping under use.

      The head is well balanced. The whole seems a little heavy in the handle but not so much that I notice during use. Only when handling or throwing. The AntiVibe system work well and I don't feel the normal vibration fatigue under extended use. The rubber grip is a little too grippy in that blisters may be quick to form. I have learned to pack a pair of nice work gloves.

      On the blade side of the head there is a small notch that is perfect for hanging the hammer / hatchet on a tree or from a strap or (in my case) an axe holder from your backpack.

      The blade length is only 1.75 in (44.45mm) and makes for a few extra chops on wider trees.

      SUMMARY:

      I have found this an essential tool. It is very sturdy and strong and will last a long time. It keeps a blade very well and haven't had to sharpen it but twice. I would recomend this to anyone wanting to find a good camp tool.

      Colt Pini
      Web Designer
      NAU Extended Campuses Technical Team
      928.523.1933

      l---L �0lllllll0-

      �sometimes you need to fly a kite in hopes that, some day, you will leave the ground.�

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 18 10:46 PM

        Edit Administration Manager