OWNER REVIEW - Carhartt Style #A202: Fleece 2-in-1 Headwear

  • Colt Pini
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 14, 2011
      Product Name: Style #A202: Fleece 2-in-1 Headwear

      Owner Review by Colt Pini
      DATE: 3-14-11

      TESTER INFORMATION

      Name: Colt Pini
      Age: 27
      Gender: male
      Height: 6'3" (191 cm)
      weight: 265 lbs. (120 Kilograms)
      Email address: coltpini@...
      City, State, Country: Flagstaff, Arizona, USA
      Date: March 12, 2011

      Backpacking Background: I haven't been backpacking enough to have a "style" though I am usually the mule in carrying the heavy gear. I have been in the outdoors most of my life and have camped in southern Utah and Arizona. I love fishing and try to stop by as many lakes as I can along the trail.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Carhartt
      Year of Manufacture: Current
      Manufacturer's Website: www.carhartt.com
      MSRP: $16.00

      Specs:

      Visual Description: Brown beanie with ear flaps and a facial cover that tucks in the beanie when not used.
      Listed Size: One Size Fits all.

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:

      "Our 2-in-1 fleece headwear combines a fleece hat with a pull-down face mask that tucks up into the hat when not in use. The hat is 100% polyester fleece and the face mask is a 90% polyester/10% spandex blend. For added comfort, the inner mask features a moisture-wicking, anti-microbial finish. The Carhartt logo is sewn on the front."
      The hat comes in three colors: black, grey, and dark brown.

      FIELD USE CONDITIONS AND RESULTS:

      I haven't had this beanie for very long. I have used it two major outing and many trips to work in sub freezing temperatures. One outing was skiing at the local ski resort. This served as a great test for both the warmth of the beanie and attached face mask. The day was fairly warm at about 40(f) but there was a cold biting wind that made it feel much colder. The second was a recent campout along beaver creek. The night temp was around 30(f).

      In the three different situations the beanie preformed well. The warmth was comfortable for all three situations and the ear flaps kept my ears from turning red. While skiing was the only time that I used the face mask and it kept my mouth and nose very warm. I wear glasses and the face mask comes so high on the face that my glasses didn't fit right and my breath would fog up my glasses so after a short time of warming up my nose I pulled the face mask down under my nose to accomidate my glasses. While camping in beaver creek the sleeping was very comfortable though in the morning it warmed up quickly and the beanie was too hot at around 40(f).

      I am very surprised at how well the beanie fits. I have a pretty large head and most "one size fits all" don't fit me. When I first got the beanie it looked rather small and I thought it would be a good one for my wife but upon trying it on it fit very well.

      SUMMARY:

      After having used several different beanies this one is now my everyday, well every cold day anyway. It fits well and keeps my head and face nice and warm. It wisks away moisture from outside and in. The only draw back is the fogging up of my glasses.

      Colt Pini
      Web Designer
      NAU Extended Campuses Technical Team
      928.523.1933

      /l ,[____],
      l---L �0lllllll0-
      ()_)-()_)--o-)_)

      �sometimes you need to fly a kite in hopes that, some day, you will leave the ground.�

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 18, 2011
        Hi again Colt. Since you don't have quite enough field use for this item yet, I'm going to put this one on hold and submit your hatchet/hammer OR as the first one for editing. Experience has shown us that it is more efficient for both the Editors and yourself if you post your first review, have it edited, approved and uploaded before you post your second and subsequent reviews

        If you get 4 or 5 more field outings in with this item before winter ends I think you will be able to use it for OR #2.

        BTW, I didn't realize you were a fellow AZer. Cool! There are a few of us on here. Let me know if you have any other questions.

        Cordially,
        Jamie DeBenedetto
        Edit Admin Manager
      • Colt Pini

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 25, 2011
            Hi Colt,

            After some consideration by the editors it has been decided that your other OR, the drywall hammer/axe doesn't fit well enough with the BGT theme of backpacking gear. Unfortunately, that means neither of the first 2 OR's you submitted can be added to the edit queue at this time.
            As to your question regarding what works for "field use" we really like to see items used in a hiking/backpacking/camping capacity for the bulk of the field use. Other outdoor activities like running and biking are perfectly fine extras that can be included in your total field use but shouldn't account for the main "in the field" time with the item.

            I hope that makes sense. Let us know if you have any other questions.

            Jamie D
          • Colt Pini
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 28, 2011
              That's too bad, I haven't found a better hatchet for the price. I know it
              isn't a "backpackers brand" but that doesn't mean it isn't a useful tool and
              half the price of anything comparable.

              Thanks for the explanation. Is there a place I should send my OR item to be
              approved before I write up the review?

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 28, 2011
                > Is there a place I should send my OR item to be
                > approved before I write up the review?

                Hi Colt,

                You can ask right here.

                A helpful tool is the Mentoring Program that teams new reviewers with experienced veterans to help get them through their first review(s). Looking at your reviews I would suggest hooking up with one. They will know if something is good to write about too. If you'd like more assistance or guidance with the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to the mentor coordinator, Jenn, at mentor@...

                Ray
              • richardglyon
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 31, 2011
                  Colt,

                  I agree with Ray's recommendation - request a mentor. As a general rule anything discontinued for two years is inappropriate, but if the pack is available from resellers we've made exceptions. But a mentor can help you with all these things.

                  Richard