Owner Review-Alan Glover

  • amglov3r
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 10, 2011
      BISON DESIGNS

      "LAST CHANCE"-Light Duty 38mm Belt

      Tester Information:

      Name: Alan Glover

      Age: 29

      Gender: Male

      Height: 5'11''

      Weight: 190lbs.

      Waste: 34

      Email: amglover@...

      City, State, Country: Salineville, Ohio, USA

      Backpacking Background:

      I have been an outdoorsmen all of my life hunting, hiking, and camping, however this is my first year backpacking. I strive to have fun when I am outdoors so I try to pack light, but stay comfortable.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Bison Designs, LLC

      Phone: 1-800-536-2476

      Address: 735 South Lincoln

      Longmont, CO 80501

      Model: Last Chance, Light Duty Belt-38mm

      MSRP: $15.50

      Size: Medium

      Color: Black, Gunmetal finish buckle

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:

      The Last Chance belt design was inspired from the belts used by Wildland Firefighters and Smokejumpers. The single layer Nylon webbing is flexible and comfortable for extended wear periods, and is available in many colors and patterns. The V-ring buckle is made of high strength aircraft aluminum and comes in either a black oxide or gunmetal finish.

      Photo of Last Chance Belt from Bison Designs Website

      Product Review:

      I purchased the belt in April of 2009, initially for hiking and backpacking, one of the first things I noticed about the belt was that it was lightweight and the Nylon webbing is very flexible. The stitching on the belt looked very tight and heavy duty, there is also a tag on the belt that says it is made in the USA which influenced my purchase.

      I first tested the belt on a survival camping trip in Brush Creek State Park, near Salineville, Ohio. Initially I noticed how quick and simple the V-ring buckle was to fasten, and after a few hours in the woods the buckle kept the belt tight without a constant need for readjusting unlike an Army style belt. When I removed the Last Chance at the end of the day I noticed that my waist line was cool and dry, not the hot and clammy feel you get from wearing a leather belt.

      The belt soon became used for every day use, as an arborist I am very rough on clothing and have never had one problem with the belt. The slim design of the V-ring buckle keeps it tight to my body and the belt is hardly ever noticed when wearing my backpack or climbing saddle. I often wear a Gerber multi-tool on the belt, and have noticed that the belt loosens and needs to be readjusted from the added weight. However Bison Designs also offers the Last Chance Heavy Duty belt that has a Velcro closure, which would be more adequate for carrying a heavy multi-tool.

      After two years the stitching has never worked loose, nor does the webbing have any frays, the gunmetal buckle has a few scratches but still works perfectly. I have used this belt from everything from an emergency dog leash to an anchor system around a tree.

      Likes:

      Price

      Durability-This belt is super tough, it takes other high priced belts to the woodshed!

      Quickness-I love how quick the belt can be fastened, readjusted, and removed.

      Made in the USA

      Dislikes:

      The belt doesn't wear well with a multi-tool.

      I always have the urge to test the V-ring buckle on a repel, this belt is Not intended for Climbing.
    • amglov3r
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 10, 2011
        BISON DESIGNS "LAST CHANCE"-Light Duty 38mm Belt

        Tester Information:

        Name: Alan Glover

        Age: 29

        Gender: Male

        Height: 5'11''-1.80

        Weight: 190lbs-86kg

        Waste: 34-0.86m

        Email: amglover@...

        City, State, Country: Salineville, Ohio, USA

        Backpacking Background:

        I have been an outdoorsmen all of my life hunting, hiking, and camping, however this is my first year backpacking. I backpack localy on weekend trips,I strive to have fun when I am outdoors so I try to pack light, but stay comfortable. I am planning a 60 mile solo trip, but I enjoy backpacking the most when I am with my girlfreind Christa and our great dane Marley.

        Product Information:

        Manufacturer: Bison Designs, LLC

        Phone: 1-800-536-2476

        Address: 735 South Lincoln

        Longmont, CO 80501

        Model: Last Chance, Light Duty Belt-38mm

        MSRP: $15.50

        Size: Medium

        Color: Black, Gunmetal finish buckle

        PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:

        The Last Chance belt design was inspired from the belts used by Wildland Firefighters and Smokejumpers. The single layer Nylon webbing is flexible and comfortable for extended wear periods, and is available in many colors and patterns. The V-ring buckle is made of high strength aircraft aluminum and comes in either a black oxide or gunmetal finish.

        Photo of Last Chance Belt from Bison Designs Website

        Field Information:

        I have tested the belt in a variety of locations, and weather conditions over two years. I have wore the belt with shorts in high heat and humidity, and have also wore the belt in freezing cold conditions.

[...]

        After two years the stitching has never worked loose, nor does the webbing have any frays, the gunmetal buckle has a few scratches but still works perfectly.When I talked to Bison Designs, they informed me that all of the products they sell are under waranty and they will replace any item that is damaged.This belt is very durable and I have used this belt from everything from an emergency dog leash to an anchor system around a tree.

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 18, 2011

          Edit Administration Manager
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 29, 2011
            RICHARD - Alan Glover(1) - Bison Designs Last Chance belt - Posted March 10 (msg#80079), Taken Mar 27, Edit Mar 27 (80122), Follow-up sent Apr

            Hi Alan,
            Following a review of our Owner Review queue at BackpackGearTest.org I noticed you have not responded to the Edit given for the above Owner's Review, which was posted by Richard back on 27 March. Please refer to message number 80122 at

            Edit Administration Manager