REVISED - Gator Combo

  • rynellis82
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 20 8:10 PM
      GERBER GATOR COMBO AXE
      BY RYN ELLIS
      OR
      February 18, 2011

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Ryn Ellis
      EMAIL: rynellis@...
      AGE: 28
      LOCATION: New Hamburg, Ontario, Canada
      GENDER: m
      HEIGHT: 5' 6" (1.68 m)
      WEIGHT: 331 lb (150.00 kg)

      Started hiking when I was ten, but due to an injury, haven't been hiking in the last fifteen years. My son and I plan on easing back into hiking this spring by hiking some local Crown Land. This summer we have a few trips planned in the Algonqiun Interior and Northern Ontario's Crown Land. We can't wait.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Gerber
      Year of Manufacture: Unknown (didn't look before discarding box). Purchased December 2010
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.gerbergear.com
      MSRP: US$44.99
      Listed Weight: Axe - 23.6 oz + Knife - 2.0 oz. Total weight = 25.6 oz.
      Other details:
      -Forged steel head.
      -Gator printed grip on handles.
      -Knife sheaths inside the axe.
      -Comes with small nylon carrying case with belt lope.

      FIELD USE

      Axe
      The axe right out of the package was sharp and effective in use . For the first week I had this combo, I tested it in the backyard. I didn't want to be caught out with a dud of a set. In comparison to my no-name camp hatchet, the Gator Axe cut limbs from the dead tree I was using as a test dummy much quicker and cleaner. Handle was proper length for swinging without feeling like you were under or over doing your swings. No wobbling sensation to axe either. The following week, I took it on a week-long camping trip with my son. Both myself and my son utilized this axe frequently during the day, whether it was collecting timber off dead trees, or splitting branches and small logs for the fire.

      Knife
      For the first week I had this knife, I put this little knife through a typical test. Cutting, scrapping, and sparking. This little knife has a very fine point and when "misused" will chip. This is the only problem that I saw with this axe/knife combo unit. I used the knife to cut bark from a tree, cut rope, stab a piece of melon (to simulate using knife for game), and striking a fire. I used the sharp edge of the blade for all activities, except striking the fire. For striking the fire, I used the backside of the knife. The knife is very easy to hold and operate with little worry of your hand slipping. The following week when I took the combo camping, I utilized the knife in the same way I had at home by cutting rope as needed, scrapping both sticks and magnesium, as well as using the knife to cut open plastic/paper food packages that we were using.

      Total testing time in controlled environment: 6 days.
      Total testing time in field: 7 days.

      Total estimated times combo was used in controlled environment: 30
      Total estimated times combo was used in field: 100 (easily)

      SUMMARY

      I really really like this Axe/Knife combo. So much I wish to purchase other Gerber equipment to see if the brand will live up to my expectations.

      Light, easy to work with, and fully functional. Great little set.

      THINGS I LIKE

      Nylon case with belt lope. Easy access.

      Knife sheath inside axe. Brilliant.

      Gator grip. Makes for a textured grip.

      Lightweight.

      Minimialist approach.

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      Fine point on the knife caused it to chip with minimal usage. Tip should be saw thickness as the rest of the unit.

      Copyright 2011. All rights reserved.
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3, 2011

        Edit Administration Manager