EDIT: OWNER REVIEW - Kahtoola MICROspikes - Mark Thompson

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 11, 2011
      Mark,

      I got a set of Microspkes for Christmas this year and I have been thinking about how to write my review over the past two months while going on some of the same trails you have. Nice effort for your second review, but I do not see some content that I feel wold be beneficial to the reader. This is nothing major, but I would like you to make some Edits and Adjustments and re-post your test HTML and review for a second round of editing. You are almost there, so lets get this approved as soon as possible.

      My comments are in the standard BGT format and follow:

      - EDIT (all caps) is a required change.
      - Edit (initial cap) a suggested change or request for clarification and can be made at your discretion.
      - Comment is simply a comment.

      Once you have made the appropriate changes, please re-post to the board with the Subject "REPOST: OR - Kahtoola MICROspikes - Mark Thompson". It is critical that you list your name in the subject for all of your posts to the message board and the use of "OR", and "Repost" will help everyone use the board more effectively.

      My edits are below. If you have any questions - please let me know.

      Mike

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.kahtoola.com/microspikes.php

      >> EDIT: The HTML link need to be to the manufactures main page and not to the individual product.

      A webb of stainless steel chain is attached to the polymer band at 8 points.

      >>EDIT: Spelling of "webb" should be web

      FIELD USE

      >>EDIT: I would like to see a brief description of how to put the Microspikes on and how to take them off. I think the reader would find that information helpful as well as how easy / hard it was for you in the filed with or without gloves on. Also is there a left or right spike or how well do they store, do they snag etc...

      Additionally can you comment about how well they stayed on your foot, is a size large the right size for the boots you were wearing, did they slip or shift around at all. Did you encounter any ice / snow buildup on the spikes or chains while using them? This is the key information that should be presented in the field use section; you want to inform the reader to how the product worked for you which is then supported by the Things I like / didn't like items below.

      >>Comment: Many testers choose to provide comprehensive field conditions or mini trip reports and often times that information is very helpful to the reader. While the extent and details of the information is entirely up to the tester; as a reader of the reviews, I find that I enjoy seeing just enough info to be helpful in understanding how the product was used and if I will use the product in similar conditions. But I often times find excess info to be overkill or page filler. When I first read your review I noticed that over ½ of the written review was related to your usage, so I wanted to comment on that. The more reviews you write, the more comfortable you will become with the style you develop. This is your review, and this style element is entirely up to you, but I wanted to give you my thoughts.

      I purchased the MICROspikes in Fall of 2010, to facilitate winter hiking in Colorado and with the expectation of improved traction.

      >>Edit: Consider inserting "the" between "in" and "Fall".

      Conditions for use is realistically limited to 2 - 10" (5 - 25 cm) snow and snow pack and would suggest that the manufacturer change their web site to accurately reflect the conditions that this product can be utilized.

      >>EDIT: This statement is projection, which is something we don't want to do. While the product didn't work for you outside of these parameters other users may have different results. I have personally used the Microspikes on over 3 feet of snow packed trail (I know this because I stepped off of the trail to let a skier pass and I lost a leg up to my crotch) going up Flattop just past the Dream Lake overlook.
    • Mark Thompson
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 12, 2011
        Mike,
        Thank you for your reveiw and comments.  I have made the changes suggested and
        uploaded the new version to the "Test - Owner Review" folder.  A new link and
        text version is provided below.
        Best regards,
        Mark

         http://tinyurl.com/microspikes1

        OWNER REVIEW - Kahtoola's MICROspikes
        BY Mark Thompson
        OR
        January 20, 2011

        TESTER INFORMATION

        NAME: Mark Thompson
        EMAIL: markthompson 242 at gmail dot com
        AGE: 46
        LOCATION: Castle Rock, CO
        GENDER: M
        HEIGHT: 6' 0" (1.80 m)
        WEIGHT: 190 lb (86.20 kg)

        Outdoor adventures started for me at a very early age, undoubtedly the result of
        adventurous parents.  Over the years, my passions have bounced from sport to
        sport, but being in the mountains has always made me feel at home, whether it's
        the Sierras, Rockies, Adirondacks or the Alps, I am always planning my next
        adventure.  After a 24 year separation, I am finally back home in the Rockies.
        My near term goals include climbing the Colorado 14ers (8 down, 46 to go) and
        increasing my climbing skill level (presently comfortable to Class 3, but
        need/want to get to 5.0).

        PRODUCT INFORMATION

        Manufacturer: Kahtoola Inc
        Year of Manufacture: 2010
        Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.kahtoola.com">>
        MSRP: US $59.95
        Listed Weight: 14.4 oz (408 g)
        Measured Weight: 14.5 oz (411 g)
        Size: Large
        Color: Red or Black
        Accessories: Storage Sack
        <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Photo courtesy of
        Kahtoola Inc.">>
        Kahtoola Inc. designed their "MICROspikes" product to provide a quick and easy
        way to add traction improving spikes to shoes and boots.  The design looks like
        a combination of crampons and tire chains.  A polymer band serves as the
        attaching mechanism to footwear and, according to Kahtoola's web site,  is
        flexible to -76 deg F (-60 deg C).  A web of stainless steel chain is attached
        to the polymer band at 8 points.  The stainless steel chain is fitted with 10
        stainless steel spikes (for size large) each being 3/8" (9.5 mm) long.
        Kahtoola's website has a sizing chart (also printed on the product box) that
        helped me select the correct size.  I wear a size 11 hiking boot which falls in
        the lower end of the spectrum for size large.
        The MICROspikes are very easy to put on and take off.  They do have a front  but
        not a left or right.  Raised lettering in the polymer band points to the front
        and there is a small metal band that contacts the front of my boot.  The raised
        lettering is somewhat difficult to see, but the small metal band is all I need
        to find the front.  I simply place the front of MICROspikes over toe of my boot
        and then pull the polymer band around the outside of my boots.  There is a short
        video on Kahtoola's website showing how to do this.  Removal is even easier, I
        simply insert my finger between the polymer band and my boot, slide around to
        the heal and pull down.  I have put these on and taken them off using bare hands
        and thin gloves without a problem and only normal issues with thick gloves.

        FIELD USE

        I purchased the MICROspikes in the Fall of 2010, to facilitate winter hiking in
        Colorado and with the expectation of improved traction.   I have used the
        MICROspikes on several day trips and have accumulated approximately 45 trail
        miles (72 km) on 7 - 10 trips in winter weather conditions on several different
        trails with varying terrain, including:
         -  day hike in the foothills of Colorado's Front Range (Heil Valley Ranch):
              - elevation: began and ended at approximately 5,500' (1,676 m)
              - max elevation: 6,500' (1,981 m)
              - distance: 15 miles (24 km)
              - elevation gain:  2,000' (610 m)
              - weather:  sunny, cold and breezy
                  - temperature: 34 deg F (1 deg C)
                  - winds: calm to 18 mph (29 km/h)
                  - precipitation: none
              - trail conditions: 2 - 6 inches (5 - 15 cm) snow and snow pack
        - day hike - Quandary Peak:
              - elevation: began and ended at 10,300' ( m)
              - max elevation: 14,265' (4,348 m)
              - distance: 5.6 miles (9.0 km)
              - elevation gain:  3,965' (1209 m)
              - weather:  started with significant cloud cover then opening up above
        12,000' (3,658 m)
                  - temperature range: 14 to 34 deg F (-10 to 1 deg C)
                  - winds: calm to 25 mph (40 km/h), above timberline - gusts to 35 mph
        (56 km/h)
                  - precipitation: none
              - trail conditions:  1 - 2 feet (0.3 - 0.6 m) of snow pack turning to soft
        deep snow below timberline, hard snow and ice above timberline - I used the
        MICROspikes until the snow pack wasn't strong enough to support my weight, then
        removed the spikes and donned snowshoes
        I found that the MICROspikes are especially well suited for those trail
        situations that fall between clear trails and the need for snowshoes.  I noticed
        a significant improvement in traction in shallow snow (2 - 10"/ 5 - 25 cm) and
        packed snow conditions (regardless of depth).  Initially, the spikes worked very
        well on ice, but after 10 - 15 miles (16 - 24 km), the spikes lost their sharp
        points and became less effective.  Even so, the spikes are much better on ice
        than boots alone.   I also noticed that the spikes were initially prone to
        snagging material (especially inside my pack) when new.  This decreased
        significantly with wear.   Kahtoola does offer a storage bag, but I did not
        purchase one.
        The MICROspikes have been especially secure and have remained firmly in place on
        my boot throughout all of my hikes.  I experienced some ice/snow build up on one
        trip, but this was easily removed.  I also noted that my hiking companions had
        similar ice/snow build up when wearing boots alone so I would attribute this to
        snow conditions and not a characteristic of the MICROspikes.
        Also, the manufacturer's web site claims improved traction in virtually all
        situations.  I found that the spikes are not well suited for traction on rock or
        wet rock surfaces.  While hiking in Heil Valley Ranch, I found that the spikes
        actually decreased traction on rock and wet rock surfaces so I intentionally
        hiked in the snow and avoided the rocks.  This experience was repeated on my
        hike on Flattop Mountain.

        SUMMARY

        I found the MICROspikes to be especially useful and have certainly enjoyed the
        product.  The product significantly improves traction and enables me to maintain
        a much faster pace on snow and snow pack surfaces when compared to boots alone
        or snowshoes.  For me, the product fills the gap between boots, snowshoes or
        crampons.
        Things I like:
            - The attaching mechanism is quick, easy and secure.
            - The polymer remains flexible even at 14 deg F (-10 deg C) - this was the
        coldest that I have experienced with the MICROspikes.
            - Significantly improves traction in shallow snow, snow pack and ice.
        Things I feel could be improved:
            - The spikes are made from stainless steel which effectively prevents rust,
        but is much softer than ferrous metals or alloys and thus reduces durability and
        longevity.  Increasing the spike harness, either through improved materials or a
        hardening process would improve product value.
            - Price: the item is great and met my expectations, but the durability
        should be improved or the retail price significantly lowered.

        SIGNATURE

        Mark Thompson
        markthompson 242 at gmail dot com
        "Mark242" on cmc dot org
        "CDR242" on 14ers dot com
        "Horse" on bikejournal dot com

        Copyright 2011.  All rights reserved.

        ________________________________
        I got a set of Microspkes for Christmas this year and I have been thinking about
        how to write my review over the past two months while going on some of the same
        trails you have.  Nice effort for your second review, but I do not see some
        content that I feel wold be beneficial to the reader.  This is nothing major,
        but I would like you to make some Edits and Adjustments and re-post your test
        HTML and review for a second round of editing.  You are almost there, so lets
        get this approved as soon as possible.

        My comments are in the standard BGT format and follow:

        - EDIT (all caps) is a required change.
        - Edit (initial cap) a suggested change or request for clarification and can be
        made at your discretion.
        - Comment is simply a comment.

        Once you have made the appropriate changes, please re-post to the board with the
        Subject "REPOST: OR - Kahtoola MICROspikes - Mark Thompson".  It is critical