EDIT/APPROVAL - Timberland Flume hiking boots - Erin Hedden

  • richardglyon
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 9, 2011
      Erin,

      Just a few more edits, all up to you. Revise or not as you see fit, then upload at http://tinyurl.com/62k6ret

      Thanks for sticking with me on this one. Don't forget to delete your Tests/OR folder copy.

      As this is your second OR, you are now qualified to apply to test gear. You'll
      need to join our sister list, backpackgeartesters, and be on the lookout for
      Test Calls. You timed this well, as there should be a flurry of activity in the
      next few weeks.

      Congratulations and welcome aboard!

      Richard

      <<My excursions can be a day hike with a waist pack, a loop trailwith 3 nights camping between start and finish, or an in and out trip which can range from an overnighter to 4 nights camping.>>
      Edit: in-and-out [with hyphens. This would also get your bio down to 100 words.]

      <<I would pick my way through the prairie grasses, cactus, sage brush and rabbit brush that commonly surrounds the trails in Southeastern Colorado>>
      Edit: "sagebrush" is usually one word

      <<I purchased these boots 4 years ago and the first day out of the box they were used on a 12 mile (19.32 km) hike through the canyons in Eastern Colorado >>
      Edit: Unless the twelve miles is measured and exact, I'd round off the metric to 19 km.

      <<I've worn them out in plenty of snowstorms over the 4 year span of time>>
      Edit: 4-year [with a hyphen]

      <<kept my feet from freezing while I stood there on the ice with my three foot pole and a hole in the ice.>>
      Edit: three-foot [with a hyphen. Particularly helpful here.]
    • Tookie Hedden
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 10, 2011
        TIMBERLAND FLUME HIKING BOOTS
        Thank you so much for taking the time to edit my report and work with me on this review. I appreciate the time and effort put into my report by the editor as I strive to improve my skills and elevate my reports to a higher level to meet the standards of backpackgeartest.org. Also, thank you for the warm welcome to the groups.

        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Footwear/Boots/Timberland%20Flume%20hiking%20boots/Owner%20Review%20by%20Erin%20Marie%20Hedden/

        BY ERIN M. HEDDEN
        OR
        January 31, 2011

        TESTER INFORMATION

        NAME: Erin M. Hedden
        EMAIL: tookieblueeyes@...
        AGE: 32
        LOCATION: Southeastern Colorado U.S.A.
        GENDER: F
        HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
        WEIGHT: 153 lb (69.40 kg)

        Backpacking Background: I have been backpacking since I was 4
        years old, taking trips into the mountains for week long stays at a time
        with my family. I hike various terrains throughout Colorado from
        mountains and plateaus to grasslands and prairies. My excursions can be a
        day hike with a waist pack, a loop trail with 3 nights camping between
        start and finish, or an in-and-out trip which an range from an
        overnighter to 4 nights camping. Depending on the area and weather I use
        a tent or go hammock camping if I would rather stay up off of the
        ground.

        PRODUCT INFORMATION

        Manufacturer: Timberland Company
        Year of Manufacture: 2007
        Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.timberland.com">>
        MSRP: US $90.00
        Listed Weight: 2 lbs 5 oz (1.05 kg) Per Boot
        Measured Weight: 2 lbs 3 oz (0.99 kg) Per Boot
        Material: Leather & Mesh Uppers
        Color: Brown/Black
        Size: 8 US Men's
        Timberland offers the Flume in men's sizes only, from size 7 Medium to size 13 Medium.
        I purchased Men's size 8 because ever since childhood I have always worn men's footwear. I am more comfortable in men's shoes for the most part.
        Product Description:
        According to Timberlands website it boasts that one could "trudge through icy puddles and across frozen streets without a second thought". So with the multidirectional rubber lug outsole to give traction on slippery surfaces, and being made of premium high quality leather with mesh uppers they are not only comfortable they are waterproof and are said to be abrasion resistant too. They are constructed with seam-sealed outers and a moisture-wicking lining inside which is made from 50% recycled PET. The footpad is removable while the padded collar and gusseted tongue adds to comfort. On the outsole the lugs are strategically placed so that they follow the curved center of pressure and the four natural motions of one's own foot, this is to improve traction and to extend the wearing performance of the boot itself. It is a tread pattern unique to Timberland, and it works!
        <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Photo from Timberland Company">><<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4" IMAGE CAPTION = "Photo from Timberland Company">>

        FIELD CONDITIONS

        I've worn the Timberland Flume Hiking Boots on the streets and sidewalks of towns and cities as well as on trails that were hard packed dirt, some that were covered with gravel and were well kept and on some trails that were more like game trails than actual hiking trails, sometimes scrambling over tree roots and sandstone slabs.

        Many times I have run into bad weather and had to pick my way over muddy trails that were more like bogs while avoiding spills into the mire since the soil is clay in the canyons and it can prove quite difficult to navigate over, around and through without at least slipping and falling at least once or twice for every 2 miles (3.22 km) of travel. Sometimes the trail would get bad enough that I would pick my way through the prairie grasses, cactus, sagebrush and rabbit brush that commonly surrounds the trails in Southeastern Colorado rather than sink ankle deep in the muck.

        The snow in my area is generally heavy and wet and quickly ices over with the cold temperatures of the evening and nights here. There have been several times that the boots became saturated in the heavy snow but my feet would remain dry, which I was quite appreciative of since the temperatures were quite balmy at the time ranging anywhere from 10 F (-12 C)to -15 F (-26 C). As long as I had gaiters on there were never any problems with wet feet at the end of the journey.

        I've covered everything from sub-alpine forest to sandy lake shores, sidewalks to shale slopes and everything in between.

        OBSERVATIONS

        I purchased these boots 4 years ago and the first day out of the box they were used on a 12 mile (19 km) hike through the canyons in Eastern Colorado and despite the fact that they had no time to be broken in, rather they were thrown right into the fire with this hike, they proved themselves well when I came out of the canyons without any blisters on my feet. Since buying them they have carried me up steep mountain trails and down scree slopes through the high Wet Mountains as well as the Sangre De Cristo mountains range as well. Crossing streams and rivers and even standing in bogs they have been put to the test and stressed to the limits over the last 4 years.

        Not only did I not experience any aches and pains the first time out with these boots I have never had a problem since my purchase either. They've proven to be quite comfortable as well as being quite at ease rock-hopping through the canyons and ravines near my home as well as trotting along the beaten switch back paths found in the mountains.

        I've worn them out in plenty of snowstorms over the 4-year span of time in which they have been in my service and they have experienced temperatures of down to -15 F (-26 C) and there were no run-ins with leather cracking or becoming brittle after they became wet then set up in the cold temperatures. I generally wear wool socks during the winter months while out and about with these boots on.

        On an ice fishing trips out onto the thick ice of North Lake where the temperature was -5 F below 0 (-21 C), they stood up to the cold and the wind and kept my feet from freezing while I stood there on the ice with my three-foot pole and a hole in the ice. <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "4 Years & Still Hiking">>

        During the summer months in the canyons where I spend a great deal of time the temperature gets up to 110 F (43 C) during the heat of the day and the boots were subjected to everything from loose gravel and sand to hard packed trail and sandstone. In these conditions I don cotton socks to prevent sweating profusely.

        SUMMARY

        In summation I feel that it is safe to say that the Timberland Flume is a very comfortable fit for me, it has withstood the test of time, many trails and many miles off trail as well. When Timberland promised the boots were made of premium leather and were seam-sealed to be waterproof they delivered on that promise still today, 4 years later. Timberland designed and produced a very versatile and durable hiking boot that I plan on employing on many more trips out on both the beaten path as well as the paths I make for myself.

        CARE PROVIDED

        To test the Timberland Company's claim I never applied any waterproofing to the boots but rather relied on the claim that they were indeed waterproof upon purchase, however, I did clean them regularly with a soft toothbrush after each use by cleaning away any mud and dirt that was stuck on the boots and pulling out any rocks that were wedged into the lugs on the soles.

        I never applied any high heat to the boots to dry them off after they became wet, rather I allowed them to dry naturally.

        THINGS I LIKE

        1. The high quality construction of the boots.
        2. The comfort is phenomenal.
        3. The long lasting life of the sole.
        4. Being waterproof and remaining to be waterproof over 4 years and running.
        5. The sleek look.
        6. The ease of breaking them in.
        7. Their versatility.<<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "Well Used">>

        THINGS I DON'T LIKE

        1. If I had to choose one thing I disliked about these hiking boots it would be the fact that the company boasted about the boots' premium leather being abrasion resistant when in fact after year 2 they began scuffing on the toe portion of the boot even with the proper care and treatment provided.

        Copyright 2011. All rights reserved.

        To: BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com