OR - Ahnu Sequoia Women's Trail Shoes - Kathy Waters

  • Kathy Waters
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 9 5:41 PM
      Dear Editors,

      I'm hoping to get a few of the many ORs I've started, finished over the next
      couple of weeks. Here's the first. HTML can be found in the test folder at
      http://tinyurl.com/68u26um and the text is below.

      It's been a while since I've posted an OR, so be gentle with me, ok <g>?

      Thanks!
      Kathy
      _________________________________

      AHNU SEQUOIA WOMEN'S TRAIL SHOES
      BY KATHLEEN WATERS<BR><<IMAGE 2>>
      OR
      February 08, 2010

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Kathleen Waters
      EMAIL: kathy@...
      AGE: 59
      LOCATION: Canon City, Colorado, USA
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 4" (1.60 m)
      WEIGHT: 125 lb (56.70 kg)

      Living in Colorado and being self-employed, I have ample opportunities to
      backpack. There are over 700,000 acres/280,000 hectares of public land
      bordering my 71-acre/29-hectare "backyard" in addition to all the other
      gorgeous locations which abound in Colorado.

      Over the past 15 years, my husband John and I have also had the good fortune
      to hike/snowshoe glaciers, rain forests, mountains and deserts in exotic
      locations, including New Zealand, Iceland, Costa Rica, Slovenia and Death
      Valley.

      My hiking style is comfortable, aiming for lightweight. I use a tent
      (rainfly if needed). Current pack averages 25 lb (11 kg) excluding food and
      water.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Ahnu
      Year of Manufacture: 2010
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.ahnufootwear.com
      MSRP: US $100.00
      Listed Weight: N/A
      Measured Weight: 22 oz (624 g) per pair
      Sizes Available: 6-11 Women's US
      Size Reviewed: 8 Women's US
      Colors Available: Jadeite, Total Eclipse & Medium Gray
      Color Reviewed: Medium Gray

      Other details:

      * Leather upper with synthetic mesh panels
      * Mesh lining
      * Forefoot shock-dispersal plate
      * NPS (Neutral Positioning System)
      * ETC® Footbeds
      * Compression-molded EVA midsoles
      * Outsole-integrated thermoplastic urethane shanks and arch supports
      * Vibram non-marking rubber outsoles with cross-directional lug pattern
      </TD><TD> <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Ahnu Sequoia Trail Shoes" IMAGE
      CAPTION = "Picture Courtesy of Ahnu">> </TD></TR></TABLE>
      Warranty (from Ahnu website): "Ahnu guarantees all of our products to be
      free of defects in materials and workmanship. We firmly stand behind
      everything we produce. Our warranty is valid for one full year from the
      original time of purchase. "

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      If I thought the Ahnu Terra Linda trail shoes were snazzy, I was even more
      impressed with the look of the Sequoia trail shoes (hereafter referred to as
      "Shoes" or "Sequoias")! But beauty is as beauty does and is only skin deep
      and all those other platitudes the good sisters tried to drill in me in
      grade school and the Sequoias are definitely more than just a pretty face!

      Starting with their low-cut profile, the Shoes follow the typical trail shoe
      design - lots of fabric for venting, traditional lacing, minimal toe rand
      and rubberized side bumpers and a flexible sole

      Charcoal gray synthetic and nubuck leather uppers combined with nylon mesh
      create a sporty but dressy, not blatantly outdoors-only look. Accents of
      light green and blue add a bit of color via side stripes which cross over
      and create the lace loops. The laces are smooth, round, black laces with a
      thread of light green running through them.

      A dual density sock liner features ETC for reduction of irritation and heat
      build-up, begins in the heel and continues throughout the foot body. The
      same colored inner sole covers "high density EVA plugs" which "are supported
      by external struts on both the medial and lateral sides of the heel"

      There is a padded collar and a small but useful "pull loop" at the back of
      the collar.</TD></TR></TABLE>
      The outsoles of the Shoes are reported to be Vibram® and have mid to
      shallow lugs that outline the footprint of the shoes. They rather make me
      think of "Jaws" - opposing sets of teeth with the front of the foot being
      larger than the heel! In the center of the palate are gray contrasting
      boomerang-shaped wedges. At the arch is the vivid yellow Vibram® logo
      sandwich between crescent lateral arch supports. Bits of blue and green
      accents connect the sole with the uppers.

      FIELD USE AND PERFORMANCE

      Slipping my feet into the Sequoias for the first time at the Outdoor Retail
      Winter 2010 Show in Salt Lake City 13 months ago was like putting on my
      oldest, most comfortable sneakers! Ahnu says the Sequoias are "Designed
      for: Traditional Hiking, Fast Hiking, and Traditional Walking."

      I'm not sure whether I was doing "Traditional Walking" and at times, I'm
      equally sure I was "Fast Hiking" across the Salt Palace, but such was my
      initiation to the Ahnu Sequoias that day!

      It was almost 6 hours into a day of pounding the cement floors of the Salt
      Palace and my feet were feeling rather abused and they were also hot. In
      the instant I pulled the Sequoias on, the insides of the Sequoias felt as
      smooth and cool as new silk stockings. They were cushion-y and the toe box
      was roomy enough for my poor toes to spread out and breathe. Ahhh!

      Since then, I have worn the Sequoias for (on average) at least 1 all-day
      hike a month, numerous short (3-4 hours) hikes, and many days a month
      casually.

      Most of my hiking and backpacking during the past year was in south central
      Colorado with a couple of day hikes in Utah, Florida and Michigan tucked in
      between. The terrain in Colorado is high desert with lots of valleys and
      hills-to-mountains. Elevation, at minimum, was over 5000 ft (1500 m) and at
      maximum, around 11,000 ft (3400 m).

      My husband and I spend a lot of our time hiking behind our property on
      Bureau of Land Management (BLM) land where there are no trails. The ground
      can be anything from powdery dust - fire danger conditions continue to be
      high - to hard granite. We have to do a lot of scrambling up and around
      boulders on ridges, too.

      Vegetation is typical high desert, lots of cactus, juniper and pinon pine.
      Very Nice!

      We also have been exploring trails in and around Fremont County, scouting
      out interesting and not-too-hard ones in anticipation of visiting grandkids.
      We even spent Mother's Day weekend backpacking with our
      newly-turned-9-year-old granddaughter on trails in the Royal Gorge
      Recreation Area and watched with pride as she hiked to the top of Fremont
      Peak (7096 ft/2163 m).

      Most of the time, the Shoes' wearings were in hot and dry climates, but I
      did wear them on a 3 week-long trip while in White Lake in lower southeast
      Michigan. While it was rather dry in the west, Michigan more than made up
      for the lack of moisture (for reviewing purposes). If it wasn't humid, it
      was cloudy and misty and if it wasn't cloudy and misty, it was raining!

      Finally, I wore the Sequoias for two days at this past January's OR Show
      (2011) in Salt Lake City where they were still comfortable for the most
      part, but I finally have decided to retire them to a more leisurely life as
      casual shoes only.

      First off, fit is the most important aspect of a trail shoe or boot in my
      opinion. If the footwear is too tight or conversely, too loose, when
      hiking, my feet are not going to be happy and if my feet are not happy, well
      then, I might as well call it a day! My Sequoias are a size 8. My previous
      Ahnu trail shoes, the Terra Linda, are a size 8. I found the Sequoias to be
      a tad bigger than the Terra Linda. Not so much as to be a problem - I
      couldn't have worn a 7.5 with heavy hiking socks - but I did notice it and I
      need to wear at least a mid-weight sock with the Sequoias. Since I happen
      to like the extra cushioning of a mid-to-heavy sock, this is just fine with
      me. My socks were almost without fail, wool.

      I'm one who likes a roomy toe box and the Sequoias give me that without
      making my feet look like Bigfoot (does Bigfoot actually have big feet,
      relatively?). And while the toe box is generously sized, it is not so wide
      as to allow my feet to slide around unsupported. According the Ahnu website
      the Sequoia feature "Ahnu's neutral positioning technology, NumentumT,"
      which "ensures proper foot biomechanics with each step." This purportedly
      centers and guides the foot to promote balance when traversing with and
      without a pack. That's important to me as a natural klutz I need all the
      stability I can get!

      Speaking of stability, the nicely padded collar of the Sequoia hugs my foot
      comfortably without friction and provides enough support that I don't really
      miss my mid-height boots. Coupled with the ability to securely tighten the
      laces, I found the Sequoias to provide me with a good fit and a confidence
      step. Because they are a low-cut shoe, the Sequoias lace in the same
      fashion as a traditional tennis shoe. I have had no trouble lacing up or
      tightening up on the trail when preparing a steep descent. The laces have
      not become unraveled or developed pulls and snags from all the aggressive
      vegetation has frequently get "hung-up" on.

      The stock insoles offered good padding in the Sequoias, and Ahnu had added a
      forefoot protection plate to help prevent bruising on rocky surfaces. I did
      replace the stock insoles almost immediately with my favorite third party
      insoles. I have a slightly higher arch than average and I just prefer my
      custom insoles which fit perfectly in the shoes.

      The Sequoias sport a Vibram® outsole that grips well on established trails,
      dirt roads and urban surfaces. I'm not as crazy about them off trail when
      the terrain is rocky. Seems like I need a more aggressive tread then -
      remember I'm a klutz - but even in rough, rocky terrain, I didn't end up
      skidding or on my face. And where the shallow tread really was a boon
      was/is on our infamous mud which is a very thick goo that piles up and
      sticks tenaciously to most of my boots. So, instead of having to lug
      two-inch (5 cm) "cement" shoes around in the rain, the Sequoias easily shed
      the goo with some vigorous scraping against the nearest rock or tree.

      Rain is not much of a problem generally for me as we don't experience much
      in my neck of the woods, but I have gotten the Sequoias wet while crossing
      streams. They are not waterproof (nor are they advertised to be) and so my
      feet did get wet slightly on quick dunkings.

      The Sequoias dried out quickly overnight in my tent. On the occasions a
      "bath" was required, the Sequoias also dried out within a few hours in the
      sun at home after I gave them a thorough hosing down to remove mud.

      Where I ran into problems with the Sequoias - and this is a problem by no
      means exclusive to the Sequoias - is off trail in the high desert areas
      where the vegetation is, shall I say - prickly?

      As with any other lightweight, meshy, vented trail shoe, the Sequoias did
      not protect my tootsies from cactus spines, the errant pine needles and
      various other sticky vegetation we call "hitchhikers".

      These pests, if encountered at exactly the right angle, go right through the
      sides and the top of the toe box.

      This is so commonplace that when wearing any trail shoe, my husband and I
      carry splinter removal tweezers. However, it's a trade-off. All that mesh
      is what makes a trail shoe so cool. And the breathability of the Sequoias in
      the heat of the high desert is as welcome to my feet as the pricklies are
      not! The mesh coupled with Ahnu ETC lining certainly reduces heat build-up,
      and I really appreciate that here in south central Colorado.

      STAR ATTRACTIONS

      1.) Super comfortable right out of the box
      2.) Tough outer construction stands up to rough terrain
      3.) Good support and cushioning against both loose rock and hard granite
      4.) Breathability keeps my feet from overheating

      MINOR DISTRACTIONS

      1.) When off-trail, thorns, stickers and small twigs pierce mesh
      2.) Minor - almost too minor to mention - heel lining wear after almost 11
      months

      SUMMART

      The Ahnu Sequoias were not my first pair of Ahnu brand footwear. I
      previously owned a pair of Terra Linda trail shoes. (I still have them.) I
      have liked the Terra Lindas immensely and I'm liking the Sequoias as well!

      Comfort via good support and cushioning is what I look for in a trail shoe
      or boot and the Sequoias deliver nicely. I have no worries about my feet
      rolling on loose terrain. Bruising on the bottom of my feet is kept to a
      bare minimum and my feet stay cool thanks to the generous mesh panels on the
      topsides of the shoes.

      I attribute the minor wearing in the heel lining to perhaps the Sequoias
      being sized just a tad larger than the same size Terra Lindas (I didn't even
      try on the Sequoias.), but the wear is not going to keep me from continuing
      to wear the Sequoias a lot in the future. But, I'll wear them on
      established trails where cactus plants can't grab me!

      Kathleen (Kathy) Waters

      Copyright 2011. All rights reserved.
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 11 11:40 PM

        Edit Administration Manager
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 12 10:46 AM
          Hi Kathy,

          Thanks for the review, they look like nice shoes. I have a few edits for you, after which you can put it at:

          Reviews > Footwear > Trail Shoes > Ahnu Sequoia Trail Shoes

          Ray

          *** Charcoal gray synthetic and nubuck leather uppers

          Edit: "Nubuck" (spelling), but where are you getting that they are Nubuck? The site does not mention anything about it. It looks like suede and mesh to me. Maybe the tags or box?

          *** A dual density sock liner features ETC for reduction of irritation and heat build-up,

          EDIT: what is ETC?

          *** Vegetation is typical high desert, lots of cactus, juniper and pinon pine

          Edit: common spelling is Pinyon pine or Piñon pine

          ***SUMMART

          Edit: did you mean to put SUMMARY?
        • Kathy Waters
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 12 7:40 PM
            Ray,

            Thanks for the edits. I've made the obvious corrections. Nubuck leather by definition is a brushed leather to produce a suede-like nap. I got that description from BGT's Ahnu rep. I did forget the word "mesh" after "Charcoal gray". As for what "ETC" is - how about "Everything That Confuses"? Will that work? <g> I honestly don't know, should know and have fired off an e-mail to Ahnu for an explanation. I will update the OR when I get an answer but in the interim, I changed the wording so it's not so esoteric, but still gets the point across.

            Thanks for keeping me on my toes.

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 13 9:33 AM
              ETC is a low friction lining material, also antibacterial. It's popping up all over the place.

              Ted

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 15 11:20 AM
                Yeah, I see that, but I think what Ray is asking is what does "ETC" stand for. I've e-mailed Ahnu and will see if they respond.

                Thanks Ted!