OR - North Face Snowshoe Sleeping Bag - Brett Haydin

  • Brett Haydin
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 9, 2011
      Dear OR Editor(s)

      Please find an OR for the North Face Snowshoe Sleeping bag for your review
      and acceptance. It’s been a great companion of mine. The html is available
      at: http://tinyurl.com/4n3gwsu. The text version follows:

      NORTH FACE SNOWSHOE SLEEPING BAG
      BY BRETT HAYDIN
      OWNER REVIEW

      February 09, 2011

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME:

      Brett Haydin

      EMAIL:

      bhaydin AT hotmail DOT com

      AGE:

      37

      LOCATION:

      Salida, CO, USA

      GENDER:

      HEIGHT:

      5' 11" (1.80 m)

      WEIGHT:

      200 lb (90.70 kg)

      CHEST:

      42 in (107 cm)

      WAIST:

      36 in (91 cm)

      I started backpacking in Wisconsin as a youth, being involved in the Boy
      Scouts programs. As a young adult, I worked at a summer camp leading
      backpacking, canoeing and mountain biking trips. I now generally take short
      weekend or day trips in rough, mountainous terrain, although I have
      extensive experience in the upper Midwest as well. I take one or two longer
      trips each year, where I typically carry about 40 lb (18 kg). I prefer to be
      prepared and comfortable, but I have taken lightweight trips as well.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: North Face
      Year of Manufacture: 2008
      Manufacturer's Website: www.thenorthface.com <http://www.thenorthface.com/>
      MSRP: US$ 189.00
      Listed Weight: 3 lb 8 oz (1590 g)
      Measured Weight: 3 lb 6 oz (1530 g)
      Temperature Rating: 0 F (-18 C)
      Size Tested: Regular (Also available in Long)
      Insulation Fill: Climashield® Prism
      Insulation Fill Weight: 2 lb 3 oz (990 g)
      Stuff Sack Size Listed: 9.5 in. x 18 in. (24 cm x 46 cm)
      Stuff Sack Measured: 9.5 in. x 18 in. (24 cm x 46 cm)

      Other details provided by manufacturer:

      * 0°F bag for year-round mountaineering
      * Climashield™ Prism synthetic insulation
      * Overlapping shingle construction
      * Firestorm™ top shell fabric
      * Soft and breathable silken lining
      * Adjustable synthetic-filled draft collar with micro-fleece cord
      tunnel
      * Full-length draft tube
      * Welded No-Snag stiffener in zip column
      * Head level zip garage with welded reinforced Velcro® flap
      * Chest level watch pocket with infusion
      * One-hand pull cord for easy hood adjustments with flat cordlock and
      Neoprene cover
      * Glow-in-the-dark zip pull
      * One nylon/mesh storage bag and one compression stuffsack included

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      The North Face Snowshoe Sleeping Bag is a mummy style synthetic filled
      sleeping bag rated to 0 F (-18 C). The bag is generally green with grey and
      black trim. There is one external zippered pocket at shoulder level to store
      items close by while sleeping with "Snowshoe" embroidered on it.

      The outer shell is made of Firestorm™ which according to the manufacturer is
      lightweight as well as water, wind and abrasion resistant. There is the
      North Face Logo embroidered on the front of the bag on the opposite shoulder
      from the zipper. Above the logo is a Climashield logo that is printed on the
      bag. The outer shell feels tough, but is also smooth and feels good.

      I purchased a left hand zipper which I prefer, but the Snowshoe is also
      available with one on the right. The zipper measures 62 in (157 CM) which is
      almost the entire length of the bag. The YKK zipper pull is nice and hefty,
      making it easy to find in the dark; made easier by being glow-in-the-dark!
      Near the top of the zipper is a nylon flap that can hold the two zipper
      sides in place with a hook and loop tab. The zipper is buffered on the
      interior side with a single draft tube.

      The fill is kept in place by 5.5 in (14 cm) vertical baffles throughout the
      bag. The North Face calls the baffle construction overlapping since the
      baffles actually overlap inside the shell (but not visible to me). There are
      also nylon hang loops; 2 at the foot box and 2 along the length of the bag
      on the back side on both sides (making four). On the bottom of the bag are a
      number of consumer tags with care instructions, material listings and North
      Face logo.

      Climbing into the Snowshoe, the interior lining is a silky feeling nylon
      that is quite comfortable. There is a 4 in (10 CM) wide draft tube at the
      collar that also has a fleece-lined draw cord. The draw cord is anchored
      allowing it to be used with just one hand. The draft tube is also closed
      with two 2 x 3 in (5 x 8 cm) hook and loop tabs.

      The hood is tapered well and fits my noggin easily. There is another
      drawstring to cinch the hood nice and tight on cold nights. The release
      button for the drawstring is actually covered by a stretchy synthetic fabric
      but it was intuitive to find.

      The Snowshoe comes with two storage sacks. One is a mesh and nylon oversized
      storage bag. The other is a nylon compression stuff sack that weighs 4 oz
      (113 g). The stuff sack has a standard drawstring opening with a nylon flap
      for the top. There are four nylon compression straps that run the length of
      the sack. The picture on the right shows the compressed Snowshoe ready to
      go.

      FIELD USE

      I have used the Snowshoe for the past two winters as well as late fall and
      early spring for approximately 25 nights in a wide variety of conditions. I
      have experienced temperatures from 0 to 40 F (-18 to 4 C). All of my
      backcountry uses have been in three or four season tents and I always use a
      sleeping pad, although the style varies. The image to the left shows me
      getting ready for the night in the Pike National Forest (although not a
      great image of the bag).

      Almost all of my uses have been in the Colorado Rocky Mountains, although I
      have used the Snowshoe in Moab Utah as well. I have slept at elevations from
      6,000 to 13,000 ft (1,800 to 4,000 m).

      I originally purchased this bag as a winter mountaineering bag as I started
      to hike and camp more in the winter. While I already had a cold weather bag,
      it was heavier did not compress to a size I wanted. I didn't want to spend
      the money for a down bag at the time and this bag seemed to fit all the
      requirements I had.

      I generally sleep hot and this bag has kept me warm in some pretty cold
      temperatures! I would say the temperature rating is accurate as I have slept
      at 0 F (-18 C) comfortably in long underwear. There have been some nights
      where I think that the temperature went lower, but since I wasn't brave
      enough to open my tent to find out I can't say for sure. I do remember a
      particularly cold night camped at 12,000 ft (3,700 m) on Mount Antero in
      Colorado that I opted to add a fleece layer. That seemed to do the trick!

      I have found the bag very comfortable to sleep in. While I do toss and turn
      quite a bit, the bag generally follows me around. I generally sleep on my
      side and switch throughout the night. I don't feel claustrophobic in the bag
      and there is enough room to fit my frame. I consider myself about average
      sized, maybe a little on the stockier side, and the girth is just right for
      me. I have room to keep some extra clothes and a warm water bottle as needed
      without feeling like a packed sardine!

      The bag is easy to adjust throughout the night and in the dark. Thanks to
      the clever glow-in-the-dark zipper, I can actually put my headlamp away
      before zipping up for the night. Thanks to the anchored draw cords, I can
      easily find the elastic draw cords and hunker down for the night with just
      one hand. The image above is an at home shot of me with the hood drawn
      closed. One item of note is that when the elastic draw cord is pulled all
      the way, the slack just nags in the way. This is inherent in most bags, but
      maybe the placement of the slack has made it more noticeable to me.

      After two years of use, the bag still has good loft and still continued to
      keep me warm. I still see no major issues with the construction as all the
      seams and stitching remains intact. This actually impresses me quite a bit
      since I have a dog who is my near constant companion, even in the winter. In
      the colder temperatures below 20 F (-7 C) he does tend to try and jump in
      the bag with me (even though we bring additional blankets for him!) so with
      his paws clambering to get in and out I would consider this durable
      fabric...

      The bag does compress reasonably well for a synthetic bag which I like. I
      can easily compress the Snowshoe from 18 in to 9 in (46 to 23 cm). I have
      used three separate backpacks and each one accommodates the bag in the
      sleeping bag compartment with room to spare.

      I do wish that the external pocket was on the interior instead of the
      exterior. If I want to access it at night I have to unzip the bag to get at
      items, but this is only a minor concern. Since there is no pouch for a
      pillow, my head can slide off the makeshift pillows I generally make out of
      a stuff sack.

      SUMMARY

      Overall I am very happy with the Snowshoe. It has become my go-to bag in the
      winter months. While I do avoid temperatures below 0 F (-18 C) for camping
      in, this bag has suited me well in the conditions I have experienced.

      Things I like:

      * It isn't too heavy
      * Keeps me warm in the rated temperatures
      * Glow-in-the-dark zipper is pretty cool!
      * Comfortable and roomy enough for me

      Things I don't care for:

      * Elastic draw cord hangs loose in the bag, gets in the way
      * Exterior pocket limits use, but is still nice

      I do plan to use this bag for the foreseeable future. Little has changed
      with the Snowshoe since I first purchased it and I would not hesitate to
      purchase a new model when mine wears out. My thanks to North Face for
      keeping me comfy and warm!

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 11, 2011

        Edit Administration Manager
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 12, 2011
          Hi Brett,

          Nice job on this review. I have a few edits for you in the standard format:

          EDIT: must be changed

          After you make the changes you can place the corrected review here:

          http://tinyurl.com/4ngxfyt

          Ray

          ***Manufacturer: North Face

          EDIT: their name is "The" North Face. Please change it in the title too

          ***Size Tested: Regular (Also available in Long)

          EDIT: size "reviewed" (not tested)

          ***The North Face Snowshoe Sleeping Bag is a mummy style synthetic filled sleeping bag

          EDIT: synthetic-filled

          ***There is the North Face Logo embroidered on the front of the bag on the opposite shoulder from the zipper.

          EDIT: There is "a The North Face" Logo embroidered on the front

          ***The fill is kept in place by 5.5 in (14 cm) vertical baffles throughout the bag. The North Face calls the baffle construction overlapping since the baffles actually overlap inside the shell (but not visible to me).

          EDIT: no they are not baffles, they are shingles of overlapping continuous filament insulation. Baffles are used for loose insulation.

          *** Thanks to the clever glow-in-the-dark zipper,

          EDIT: zipper "pull"

          *** This is inherent in most bags,

          EDIT: this is projection. Maybe, This is inherent in most bags I have used,

          ***After two years of use, the bag still has good loft and still continued to keep me warm.

          EDIT: continues

          ***Glow-in-the-dark zipper is pretty cool!

          EDIT: zipper "pull"

          Comfortable and roomy enough for me

          ***My thanks to North Face for keeping me comfy and warm!

          EDIT: as this was not a test and you did not get this free there is no reason to thank the manufacturer
        • Brett Haydin
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 12, 2011
            Ray,

            Thank you for the timely edits! I think I have waited too long between OR's
            and must have been out of practice :P All the changes have been made and
            the test file deleted. Thanks again!

            -Brett