EDIT/APPROVAL OR-TIMBERLAND FLUME HIKING BOOT - Erin M. Hedden

  • Tookie Hedden
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2011
      Here is the link to the specific page that I uploaded the html version of the report to in the Owner Review Test section of BGT.org

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20-%20Timberland%20Flume%20Hiking%20Boot/

      TIMBERLAND FLUME HIKING BOOTS
      BY ERIN M. HEDDEN
      OR
      January 31, 2011

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Erin M. Hedden
      EMAIL: tookieblueeyes@...
      AGE: 32
      LOCATION: Colorado
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 153 lb (69.40 kg)

      Backpacking Background: I have been backpacking since I was 4 years old, taking trips into the mountains for week long stays at a time with my family. I hike various terrains throughout Colorado from mountains and plateaus to grasslands and prairies. I live in Southeastern Colorado in the United States, though I try to spend as much time in the Rocky Mountains which are just an hours drive away. My excursions can be a day hike with a waist pack, a loop trail with 3 nights camping between start and finish, or an in and out trip which can range from an overnighter to 4 nights camping. Depending on the area and weather I use a tent or go hammock camping if I would rather stay up off of the ground.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Timberland Company
      Year of Manufacture: 2007
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.timberland.com">>
      MSRP: US $90.00
      Listed Weight: 2 lbs 5 oz (1.05 kg) Per Boot
      Measured Weight: 2 lbs 3 oz (0.99 kg) Per Boot
      Material: Leather & Mesh Uppers
      Color: Brown/Black
      Size: 8 US Men's
      Timberland offers the Flume in mens' sizes only, from size 7 Medium to size 13 Medium.
      I purchased Men's size 8 because ever since childhood I have always worn men's footwear. I am more comfortable in mens' shoes for the most part.
      Product Description:
      According to Timberlands website it boasts that one could "trudge through icy puddles and across frozen streets without a second thought". So with the multidirectional rubber lug outsole to give you traction on slippery surfaces, and being made of premium high quality leather with mesh uppers they are not only comfortable they are waterproof and are said to be abrasion resistant too. They are constructed with seam-sealed outers and a moisture-wicking lining inside which is made from 50% recycled PET. The footpad is removable while the padded collar and gusseted tongue adds to comfort. On the outsole the lugs are strategically placed so that they follow the curved center of pressure and the four natural motions of ones own foot, this is to improve traction and to extend the wearing performance of the boot itself. It is a tread pattern unique to Timberland, and it works!
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "New">><<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4" IMAGE CAPTION = "Unique Tread Pattern">>

      FIELD USE

      I purchased these boots 4 years ago and the first day out of the box they were used on a 12 mile hike through the canyons in Eastern Colorado and despite the fact that they had no time to be broken in, rather they were thrown right into the fire with this hike, they proved themselves well when I came out of the canyons without any blisters on my feet. Since buying them they have carried me up steep mountain trails and down scree slopes through the high Wet Mountains as well as the Sangre De Cristo mountains range as well. Crossing streams and rivers and even standing in bogs they have been put to the test and stressed to the limits over the last 4 years.

      Not only did I not experience any aches and pains the first time out with these boots I have never had a problem since their purchase either. They've proven to be quite comfortable as well as being quite at ease rock-hopping through the canyons and ravines near my home as well as trotting along the beaten switch back paths found in the mountains.

      I've worn them out in plenty of snowstorms over the 4 year span of time in which they have been in my service and they have experienced temperatures well below freezing and there were no run-ins with leather cracking or becoming brittle after they became wet then set up in the cold temperatures.

      On ice fishing trips out onto the thick ice of North Lake they stood up to the cold and the wind and kept my feet from freezing while I stood there on the ice with my three foot pole and this hole in the ice.<<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "4 Years & Still Hiking">><<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "Well Used">>

      SUMMARY

      In summation I feel that it is safe to say that the Timberland Flume is a very comfortable fit for me, it has withstood the test of time, many trails and many miles off trail as well. When Timberland promised the boots were made of premium leather and were seam-sealed to be waterproof they delivered on that promise still today, 4 years later. Timberland designed and produced a very versatile and durable hiking boot that I plan on employing on many more trips out on both the beaten path as well as the paths I make for myself.

      THINGS I LIKE

      1. The high quality construction of the boots.
      2. The comfort is phenomenal.
      3. The long lasting life of the sole.
      4. Being waterproof and remaining to be waterproof over 4 years and running.
      5. The sleek look.
      6. The ease of breaking them in.
      7. Their versatility.

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      1. If I had to choose one thing I disliked about these hiking boots' it would be the fact that the company boasted about the boots' premium leather being abrasion resistant when in fact after year 2 they began scuffing on the toe portion of the boot even with the proper care and treatment provided.

      Copyright 2011. All rights reserved.