EDIT: REVISED-OR-MSR Stove-Michael Bloch

  • ben.mansfield
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 24, 2011
      Hello Michael...

      Thanks for the Owner Review! It looks like a pretty good start. Your initial edits will follow, and I use the more-or-less standard BGT editing format...

      EDIT: marks something that must be changed
      Edit: marks something that should be changed, but ultimately it's your discretion
      Comment: marks just that - my comments.

      When you have made the changes below, please repost your edited report back to this list with REPOST added to the subject line.

      Since your report looks in fairly good shape already, you can also put an HTML copy in the Owner Review Test Folder. It is found at the end of the list of reviews on the main page (once you're logged in) or here: http://tinyurl.com/4mfwa. If you choose to do this please also supply a link to your report when you REPOST.

      Edits follow.

      -Ben

      **** EDIT: You do have to give your full email address. Some testers choose to obscure the address by using spaces or typing out AT and DOT so that it is not as easily captured by malicious bots. For example, I give mine as benmansfield27 AT gmail DOT com.

      > AGE: 26
      > LOCATION: Jacksonville, NC
      > GENDER: M
      > HEIGHT: 6' 3" (1.91 m)
      > WEIGHT: 210 lb (95.30 kg)
      >
      > I consider myself an avid outdoor enthusiast and began hiking and backpacking when I was 15. I have lived in Kansas, Wyoming, California, and Virginia and now in North Carolina. I have experience in everything from Ultra Heavyweight to Ultra Light-weight

      **** EDIT: ultra heavyweight to ultra lightweight

      backpacking and camping, as well as experience in all weather. I prefer Lightweight

      ****EDIT: lightweight

      2-3 day backpacking trips and like to be in the mountains or hilly terrain in all seasons.

      ****EDIT: Cascade Designs / Mountain Safety Research

      ****Edit: is this the year that your stove was manufactured? You indicate below that you bought yours in 2006, so unless you bought one that had been sitting on the shelf for a long time, your "year of manufacture" was probably 2005 or 2006. If unsure, you can use "2006 (presumed). This is important for gear that has been around for a long time but may have endured minor design changes over time.

      **** EDIT: http://www.cascadedesigns.com

      **** Comment: It would be interesting to know the measurements without the case to see how closely it matches the manufacturer's stated size.

      **** Edit: 70% Butane / 30% Propane or 80% Isobutane / 20% Propane mix

      **** EDIT: Please state if this is your burn time or the manufacturer's, and whether this is on "full gas" or simmer?

      **** EDIT: Please state whether this is your measured boil time or the manufacturer's claim.

      > FIELD USE
      >
      > Primarily used in Virginia and North Carolina.

      **** Edit: sentence fragment - consider revising.

      This stove was used in the western parts of both states at elevations up to 3000 feet (914.4 m) and in the eastern parts of both states as low as sea level. The stove was used year round and has been exposed to all types of weather conditions to include snow, rain, wind, dust, heat, and cold. Approximate low to high temperatures range from 20 ° F (6.67 ° C) to 95 °F (35 °C.)

      **** EDIT: BGT requires a statement of use, in other words, how many times do you think you used it? For ORs, this is obviously hard to keep track of, so it's acceptable to say something like, "I used this on approximately 4 long-weekend trips per year for 4 years in a row, for a total of somewhere around 50 days in the backcountry"

      > REVIEW
      >
      > I bought this Stove

      **** EDIT: stove

      in 2006 at a small outfitter store because of the small size and very light weight. The stove works by screwing onto the top of a fuel canister. There is an adjuster valve at the base of the stove that is turned to release the fuel. Once the valve is turned to release fuel the stove must be ignited used

      **** EDIT: using

      a flame held close to the burner head. Once the stove is lit, the heat level and flame size can be adjusted using the adjuster valve. There are three pot supports that fold in and out from the base of the stove and extend to allow solid support of most pots. At the base of the stove is a rubber seal that insures a tight seal when screwed into a fuel canister. When attached to a 3.88 oz. (110 g) Snow Peak Canister and fully extended the stove is 5.75 in (14.6 cm) tall. As for use, I have used this stove from everything like simple tasks of heating water for instant coffee to cooking pancakes and eggs at low heat. Most of the time spent using this stove was outdoors in moderate weather at a low altitude under 1000 ft. I did take it on a couple backpacking trips in the mountains in western Virginia at up to 3000 ft (914.4 m) for 2 and 3 days at a time as the only source to cook food and heat water. I found that using the supplied case is very helpful as it can also hold a lighter or matches to ignite the stove. With it's small size it is very easy to pack this stove anywhere. There are a couple of different sizes of fuel canisters that can be used with this stove which allows for scaling your load for shorter trips or bringing multiple canisters that can be packed easily throughout your pack. Throughout the 5 years that I have owned it, I have never had a problem with this stove to include lighting and using it in the wind.

      **** Comment: Speaking of the wind, have you used a windscreen in these conditions? If not, how is efficiency (boil time, etc.) effected?

      **** Comment: Another common question with canister stoves is how well they function (or not) in below-freezing conditions. You mention in your field use section that you used it down to 20F, you might describe how it worked under those conditions.

      The stove has performed beyond expectations over the years.

      **** Edit: another fragment - consider revising

      **** Comment: You don't mention this above in your description... you might expand on this thought a bit up above.

      **** Comment: me too.