Edit/Approval - Caldera Ti-Tri System - Ray Estrella

  • richardglyon
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 10, 2011
      Ray, Great OR. Might even convince me to try a Caldera Cone. A few nits below, and one suggestion. After revising, you may upload to http://tinyurl.com/4c7b45l

      Happy New Year, Richard

      <<WEIGHT: 215 lb (97.50 kg)>>
      Comment: Put on a few Christmas pounds? You too?

      <<Manufacturer: Trail Designs>>
      Edit: I think we're supposed to use full legal name: Trail Designs LLC

      <<fuel bottle kit with measuring cup, two titanium stakes for wood burning mode, and the Caldera Caddy to hold and protect everything>>
      Edit: wood-burning [with a hyphen. Here and two other places.]

      <<The cone is assembled by sliding together the mating dove-tail joints.>>
      Edit: My dictionary has "dovetail" as one word, no hyphen.

      <<The slots at the top create a draw pulling the heat up. It should be noted that the Esbit burning GramCracker is used in this same mode.>>
      Edit: Esbit-burning [with a hyphen]

      This allows a wood fire to be started inside; the pot set on top once it is going well.>>
      EDIT: the pot is set [or "the pot sits"]
      Edit: I'd change "it is going well" to "the fire is going well" for clarity.

      <<Trail Designs suggests that the caddy may be used to eat and drink out of also to save weight and space of dedicated items.>>
      Edit: This sentence is a bit awkward. Maybe "to save the weight and space" or "to save weight and space by eliminating dedicated items."

      <<Next I went up to Mt San Jacinto State Park in a big snow storm.>>
      Edit: "snowstorm" is usually one word

      <<Dave and I both used it on another 35 mile (56 km) PCT hike that saw us camp at Dove Spring. (No data)>>
      Edit/EDIT: The parenthetical is confusing. Does it mean you didn't record a temperature? Please explain.

      <<What was astounding to me was that I did not read of anybody that was unhappy with one.>>
      Edit: anybody who was unhappy

      <<So I bit the bullet and had one made to fit my Titan Kettle as
      it was the pot I brought on all my light weight low volume trips already (paired with my tiny Crux stove).>>
      Edit/Comment: When I first read this I thought that either you ordered a custom Cone or tinkered with it yourself. Upon reading Trail Designs' website I now see that the Cones are sold to fit particular pots – a nifty feature that is in my opinion worthy of an explanation. Up to you; I'd probably add a paragraph in the Product Description section.

      <<I set my water on for freeze dried dinner and retreated for the tent.>>
      Edit: retreated to the tent

      <<It will not bring it to a full boil on the left over fuel but it is usually just
      right for drinking right away.>>
      Edit: Too many "it"s, and a bit confusing. How about "The leftover fuel will not bring this amount to a full boil but will heat it enough for drinking right away."
      Edit: "leftover" is normally one word.
    • Ray
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 10, 2011
        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "richardglyon" <montana.angler@...> wrote:

        > Ray, Great OR. Might even convince me to try a Caldera Cone.

        Thanks for the edits Richard, all made, test deleted, OR uploaded.

        They really are neat systems, I encourage you to give one a try. I find it more of a solo stove for just boiling water the way I use it. Mine are in CA (I have another model besides this first one now)and I just ordered a different style to use here in MN that will be even lighter and smaller yet. And I am going to try it in some real cold!

        Ray
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 12, 2011
          Hi Richard,

          I just got an email from a reader that was confused about the way the Cone is carried so I added another picture to the side of the storage Caddy description.