OR- DTO Ultralite Mini Towel- Nancy Griffith

  • Nancy Griffith
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 9, 2011
      Hi OR editors!

      I've posted another OR for my favorite Discovery Trekking Outfitters mini
      towel.

      Thanks in advance for the edits.  Here's the link and text.

      Nancy

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR-DTO%20Ultralite%20Mini%20Towel-%20Nancy%20Griffith/

      http://tinyurl.com/2fbnk9f

      DTO ULTRALITE MINI TOWEL
      BY NANCY GRIFFITH
      OR
      January 09, 2011

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Nancy Griffith
      EMAIL: bkpkrgirlATyahooDOTcom
      AGE: 44
      LOCATION: Northern California, USA
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 6" (1.68 m)
      WEIGHT: 130 lb (59.00 kg)

      My outdoor experience began in high school with involvement in a local
      canoeing/camping group called Canoe Trails.  The culmination was a 10-day canoe
      voyage through the Quebec wilds.  I've been backpacking since my college days in
      Pennsylvania.  I have completed all of the Appalachian Trail in Georgia,
      Tennessee and North Carolina.  My typical trip now is in the Sierra Nevada in
      California and is from a few days to a week long.  I carry a light to mid-weight
      load, use a tent, stove and hiking poles.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Mini Towel"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Courtesy of
      DTO">>Manufacturer: Discovery Trekking Outfitters
      "http://www.discoverytrekking.com" LINK TEXT =
      "http://www.discovertrekking.com">>
      MSRP: $14.95 US (larger Ultralite towel is $19.95 US)
      Listed Weight: 1.3 oz (37 g)
      Measured Weight: 1.4 oz (40 g)
      Sizes Available: Ultralite 34 in x 28 in (86 cm x 71 cm), Ultralite Mini 19 in x
      19 in (48 cm x 48 cm)
      Colors Available: Mossy Green, Navy
      Mine is Size Mini in Silver Grey (color not currently available)
      The Discovery Trekking Outfitters Extreme Ultralite Backpacking Towel in the
      mini size is essentially the size of a bandana.  It is made of the same fast
      drying 100% polyester fabric as their larger towel.  It has an anti-microbial
      technology to discourage bacteria growth which consists of silver strands (not
      visible) in the fabric.  So it won't wash out over time like a chemical
      treatment and is natural.  The website claims that this fabric dries 3 times
      faster than cotton.  The mini-size makes it useful as a bandana, neck warmer and
      wash cloth.

      FIELD USE

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "bandana">>I've used this cloth on several
      backpacking trips and day hikes since I got it.  In total it has probably been
      with me on 6 backpacking trips for 15 days and on a handful of day hikes.  The
      photo shows it on top of a typical cotton bandana for size comparison.
      Some examples include the following trips.
      Backpacking:
      Point Reyes National Seashore, California: 3 days; 0 to 1,407 ft (429 m); 40 to
      55 F (4 to 13 C); partly cloudy to heavy rainstorm
      Joshua Tree National Park, Southern California: 1 night; 4,500 ft (1,372 m); 40
      to 45 F (4 to 7 C); dry conditions with light wind
      Western States Trail, Sierra Nevada, California; 3 days; 1,800 to 4,365 ft (549
      to 1,330 m) elevation; 45 to 72 F (7 to 22 C); clear conditions
      Day Hiking:
      Bake Oven Trail, Sierra Nevada, California; 10 mi (16 km); 1,630 to 3,520 ft
      (497 to 1,073 m); 65 to 80 F (18 to 27 C); clear to partly cloudy conditions

      As a hair organizer and head warmer:
      I often wore the mini towel on my head to keep my hair out of my eyes especially
      in camp in the evenings when it also helped to keep my head warm.  I would fold
      it in half (in a triangle), tie it behind my neck and push it over my head to
      contain all of those straggling hair strands.   At times I would wear it to bed
      as a head warmer on cool but not cold nights when I just needed a little help in
      keeping warm.  If I tied it right, it even would stay in place all night!
      As a neck cooler and/or warmer:
      I would dunk the mini towel in a stream and tie it around my neck to cool me
      down on hot days.  On cool days I would just tie it around my neck and wear it
      like an ascot to keep my neck warm.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "close up">>As a face cloth, wash cloth and dish
      cloth:
      I occasionally used it as a face cloth to wipe sweat from my brow, face and
      neck.  Sometimes I used it as a wash cloth or dish cloth to clean myself or my
      dishes.  However, for these uses I found it to be somewhat large to carry in my
      pocket and would tie it around a pack strap.  I also found that I preferred to
      use DTO's extra small towel instead for these uses (see separate owner review).
      I never noticed any foul aroma develop on any of my trips.  I washed the cloth
      in the machine after every trip with whatever other clothes were going in and on
      whatever setting those required.  I've never paid any particular attention to
      how to wash this towel.
      The durability of the mini towel has been great.  It has seen quite a bit of use
      and multiple machine washings but is still in good shape.  The seams are intact
      and there are no cuts or frayed threads.

      SUMMARY

      The Discovery Trekking Outfitters Ultralite Mini towel is a multi-use piece of
      fabric that I use as a quick-drying bandana.

      GREAT

      Versatile
      Quick-drying

      NOT AS GREAT

      Not as light weight as a cotton bandana
      Not as compact as a cotton bandana

      SIGNATURE

      Nancy Griffith

      Copyright 2011.  All rights reserved.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 10, 2011

        Edit Administration Manager
      • Michael
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 22, 2011
          Nancy,

          Nice quick review with no edits. Please upload to the following folder. Don't forget to delete your test HTML.

          http://tinyurl.com/4ef4jm2

          Thank you for your contribution.

          Mike