Re: EDIT - Western Mountaineering Sequoia sleeping bag - Lyon

  • richardglyon
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2011
      Roger -

      <<That's fine then - I could not understand what was intended.
      In which case the OR needs to make it clear right at the start, that
      * you are reviewing the Sequoia bag in general
      * it hasn't changed in 20+ years apart from different (improved) fabrics

      Can do?>>

      Yes, sir!

      Regarding Sport Wash, it remains one of the most satisfying tests I ever did for BGT. I've used it continuously for any wool or synthetic washes.

      Happy New Year, Richard

    • richardglyon
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2011
        Roger -

        Revised second paragraph under "The Product:"

        ----Today the Sequoia is available in two fabrics: Gore Windstopper™ (GWS) or MicroLite XP™ Microfiber (MF). My Sequoia, which I purchased circa 1990, uses nylon taffeta fabric. Though the fabrics have changed (neither of the current fabrics existed in 1990, though Western Mountaineering did offer the bag with then-state-of-the-art waterproof/breathable shells), the Sequoia's design has remained unchanged over the years, and today's buyer will receive pretty much what I received, except for the latest in fabrics. ----

        Let me know if this meets your concern.

        Cheers, Richard

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Caffin" <r.caffin@...> wrote:

        > In which case the OR needs to make it clear right at the start, that
        > * you are reviewing the Sequoia bag in general
        > * it hasn't changed in 20+ years apart from different (improved) fabrics
        >
        > Can do?

      • Roger Caffin
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 5, 2011
          Re: EDIT - Western Mountaineering Sequoia sleeping bag - Lyon

          Hi Richard

          Amazing - a product which has not been replaced by a totally new model every
          12 months (like shoes). OK, I understand now, but whether every casual
          reader would understand immediately remains a bit of a concern. I am aiming
          for perfect clarity, especially as you are an Editor :-)

          At the risk of being overly intrusive, I took what you wrote and added a
          couple of tweaks and shuffles to just make that section really clear to me.
          Herewith for your consideration. You will note that I have given Long and
          Regular capitals, like model names. I find that helps to make it clear that
          we are using those words as model categories rather than adjectives.

          Over to you
          Cheers
          Roger Caffin
          -------------------------------
          THE PRODUCT

          Though listed as a semi-rectangular sleeping bag, the Sequoia is a hybrid
          that incorporates some features from standard mummy and semi-rec designs.
          Here's a photo of the Sequoia next to the one mummy bag I still own, which
          illustrates the difference in shape.

          Today the Sequoia is available in two fabrics: Gore WindstopperT (GWS) or
          MicroLite XPT Microfiber (MF). My Sequoia, which I purchased circa 1990,
          uses nylon taffeta fabric. Neither of the current fabrics existed in 1990,
          though Western Mountaineering did offer the bag with then-state-of-the-art
          waterproof/breathable shells. So while the fabrics have changed over the
          years, the Sequoia's design has remained unchanged over the years, and
          today's buyer will receive pretty much what I received, except for the
          latest in fabrics.

          My bag is Western Mountaineering's standard Long size, at 6 feet 6 inches
          (1.98 m); the Sequoia is also available in a size Regular at 6 feet (1.83
          m). When I purchased mine it was rated to 5 F (-15 C); today the Sequoia may
          be ordered at that rating or at -15 F (-26 C), in either fabric. Listed
          data below are for the 5 F/-15 C Long versions.
        • richardglyon
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 6, 2011
            Roger,

            This is why we have editors, to clarify what's obvious to the writer but not so plain to the reader. Except for using "over the years" twice in the same sentence I'll go with what you wrote, and I now see why you were concerned.

            You're right about how unusual it is that WM hasn't made cosmetic changes as "new models." I believe its only changes in its line of sleeping bags in the past twenty years have been to add its ultralight bags, to add the Bristlecone, and for some reason to rename the Aspen as the Alder.

            Cheers, Richard