Re: EDIT - Western Mountaineering Sequoia sleeping bag - Lyon

  • Roger Caffin
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2011
      Hi Richard

      > I believe an OR of the Sequoia, even though I have the taffeta fabric, is
      > quite appropriate.
      > The design is the same, and has been since before I bought my bag.
      > The design's the same, the weight's about the same, the features are the
      > same (down to the
      > separate zips for side and foot), it's still offered by its manufacturer -
      > today's buyer gets pretty
      > much what I got but for a 2010 fabric.
      That's fine then - I could not understand what was intended.
      In which case the OR needs to make it clear right at the start, that
      * you are reviewing the Sequoia bag in general
      * it hasn't changed in 20+ years apart from different (improved) fabrics

      Can do?

      > XXXXX So Atko Sport Wash works for down? Are all the down-specific
      > products merely
      > soap-free detergents?

      Yes, Atsko Sports Wash works just fine on down.

      Yes, Sports Wash is detergent, but with a difference from ordinary laundry
      detergent or any 'consumer' shampoo or dish-washing detergent. The
      difference is that all the consumer detergents have added scents, bulking
      agents, brighteners, enzymes, and hordes of other chemicals. Most of the
      added chemicals stay in the fabric after being washed, and that severely
      compromises some outdoors features. The main one is that they block any
      user-applied DWR from adhering, which is a disaster when you are trying to
      revive rainproof gear. The added chemicals can also decrease the action of
      factory-applied DWR - like on a sleeping bag, and let it wet out more
      easily.

      As for washing down: you don't want to strip the remaining oils off the
      down, so harsh detergents are a bad thing. Neither do you wish to clag up
      the extremely fine fibres of the down with added gunk. Sports Wash works
      very well here: it is quite mild.

      The 'soap-free' bit is however irrelevant: there usually is no 'soap' in any
      detergent. 'Soap' is just sodium stearate - plus all the gunk they add to it
      for perfume etc.

      Cheers
      Roger
    • richardglyon
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2011
        Roger -

        <<That's fine then - I could not understand what was intended.
        In which case the OR needs to make it clear right at the start, that
        * you are reviewing the Sequoia bag in general
        * it hasn't changed in 20+ years apart from different (improved) fabrics

        Can do?>>

        Yes, sir!

        Regarding Sport Wash, it remains one of the most satisfying tests I ever did for BGT. I've used it continuously for any wool or synthetic washes.

        Happy New Year, Richard

      • richardglyon
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2011
          Roger -

          Revised second paragraph under "The Product:"

          ----Today the Sequoia is available in two fabrics: Gore Windstopper™ (GWS) or MicroLite XP™ Microfiber (MF). My Sequoia, which I purchased circa 1990, uses nylon taffeta fabric. Though the fabrics have changed (neither of the current fabrics existed in 1990, though Western Mountaineering did offer the bag with then-state-of-the-art waterproof/breathable shells), the Sequoia's design has remained unchanged over the years, and today's buyer will receive pretty much what I received, except for the latest in fabrics. ----

          Let me know if this meets your concern.

          Cheers, Richard

          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Caffin" <r.caffin@...> wrote:

          > In which case the OR needs to make it clear right at the start, that
          > * you are reviewing the Sequoia bag in general
          > * it hasn't changed in 20+ years apart from different (improved) fabrics
          >
          > Can do?

        • Roger Caffin
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 5, 2011
            Re: EDIT - Western Mountaineering Sequoia sleeping bag - Lyon

            Hi Richard

            Amazing - a product which has not been replaced by a totally new model every
            12 months (like shoes). OK, I understand now, but whether every casual
            reader would understand immediately remains a bit of a concern. I am aiming
            for perfect clarity, especially as you are an Editor :-)

            At the risk of being overly intrusive, I took what you wrote and added a
            couple of tweaks and shuffles to just make that section really clear to me.
            Herewith for your consideration. You will note that I have given Long and
            Regular capitals, like model names. I find that helps to make it clear that
            we are using those words as model categories rather than adjectives.

            Over to you
            Cheers
            Roger Caffin
            -------------------------------
            THE PRODUCT

            Though listed as a semi-rectangular sleeping bag, the Sequoia is a hybrid
            that incorporates some features from standard mummy and semi-rec designs.
            Here's a photo of the Sequoia next to the one mummy bag I still own, which
            illustrates the difference in shape.

            Today the Sequoia is available in two fabrics: Gore WindstopperT (GWS) or
            MicroLite XPT Microfiber (MF). My Sequoia, which I purchased circa 1990,
            uses nylon taffeta fabric. Neither of the current fabrics existed in 1990,
            though Western Mountaineering did offer the bag with then-state-of-the-art
            waterproof/breathable shells. So while the fabrics have changed over the
            years, the Sequoia's design has remained unchanged over the years, and
            today's buyer will receive pretty much what I received, except for the
            latest in fabrics.

            My bag is Western Mountaineering's standard Long size, at 6 feet 6 inches
            (1.98 m); the Sequoia is also available in a size Regular at 6 feet (1.83
            m). When I purchased mine it was rated to 5 F (-15 C); today the Sequoia may
            be ordered at that rating or at -15 F (-26 C), in either fabric. Listed
            data below are for the 5 F/-15 C Long versions.
          • richardglyon
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 6, 2011
              Roger,

              This is why we have editors, to clarify what's obvious to the writer but not so plain to the reader. Except for using "over the years" twice in the same sentence I'll go with what you wrote, and I now see why you were concerned.

              You're right about how unusual it is that WM hasn't made cosmetic changes as "new models." I believe its only changes in its line of sleeping bags in the past twenty years have been to add its ultralight bags, to add the Bristlecone, and for some reason to rename the Aspen as the Alder.

              Cheers, Richard