OR-Equinox Armadillo Pillow-Mike Pearl

  • Mike Pearl
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2011
      Hope all had a great Holiday!  Here's one for sleeping gear.

      Link & Text versions below.

      December 16, 2010
      NAME: Mike Pearl
      EMAIL: mikepearl36@...
      AGE: 36
      LOCATION: Woodstock, Vermont, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 155 lb (70.30 kg)
      My backpacking experience began six years ago, after years of car camping. Most
      trips are for two or three days, some lasting a week. I hike with a group of two
      to four, with plans for a multi-day solo hike next summer. I pack a tent or tarp
      depending on availability of trail shelters. My average mileage is 15 mi (24
      km). While aware of weight, it is not my primary concern. I strive for enjoyable
      outings with functional, reliable gear. I usually travel in woodland mountain
      terrain. I am a three season camper, but enjoy hiking all year.

      Manufacturer: Equinox Ltd         <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2">>
      Year of Manufacture: 2009
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.equinoxltd.com" LINK
      TEXT = "www.equinoxltd.com">>
      MSRP: US$ 10.95
      Listed Weight: Not Listed
      Measured Weight: 11.6 oz (329 g)
      Listed Dimensions: 19 in x 10 in (48 x 25 cm)
      Measured Dimensions Rolled: 10 x 6 in (25 x 15 cm)
      Measured Dimensions Open: 18 x 10 x 5 in (46 x 25 x 13 cm)
      Colors Available: Salamander Red / Charcoal Gray, Sky Blue / Charcoal
      :                               Celery Green / Charcoal, Midnight Blue, Pine
      Green, Pine Green / Sand Tan

      The Armadillo Pillow is a travel pillow that is rolled when not in use.  It is
      held closed with a nylon web strap and a small plastic side release buckle.
      The sleeping side is made of soft microfleece. The storage side is water
      repellent Supplex nylon.  The Armadillo is stuffed with polyester fill.

      The Armadillo Pillow is a regular in my pack.  I was resistant to a pillow at
      first.  I use to pack extra clothes in a stuff sack.  But needing to wear all my
      clothes to sleep one cold night ended that practice.
      I tried an inflatable which was lighter and compressed smaller.  However it was
      very noisy and did not have good loft or shape.  These are not good qualities
      for my sleep style.  I start on my back, then roll to my side, to my stomach, to
      the other side, ending on my back.  So, a good pillow is a pretty high bar to
      The Armadillo Pillow accommodates this style.  When unrolled and laid flat, it
      is comfortable while on my back or stomach.   When on my side, the Armadillo
      easily and quietly folds in half to provide support to the neck.  The pillow has
      enough fill to hold up my head while forming to the shape of my head.  The
      microfleece is soft and feels nice against my face.
      The first time I used the Armadillo the compression strap looked like it would
      be a problem.  I thought I would get wrapped up in it or roll over on the
      buckle.   Neither has happened. It sometimes flops around but never interrupts
      my sleep/rolling.  When its time to pack up,  just roll and click the buckle.  I
      have used the Armadillo dozens of times without any complaints.
      The Armadillo Pillow is a quality item.  It well constructed and simple to use.
      The Armadillo has always provided a comfortable place to rest my head.
      Mike Pearl
      Copyright 2011.  All rights reserved.

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 8, 2011

        Edit Administration Manager