EDIT- OR : RED STAR WORLDWEAR RS14 Sunglasses

  • Tookie Hedden
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 23, 2010
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20Red%20Star%20Worldwear%20RS14%20Sunglasses/
      Above is the specific link for the upload that was requested and below is the revised plain text of the review of the product as is produced by the BGT report generator.

      Owner Review:
      RED STAR WORLDWEAR RS14 SUNGLASSES
      By: Erin M. Hedden
      December 24, 2010

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Erin M. Hedden
      EMAIL: tookieblueeyes@...
      AGE: 32
      LOCATION: Colorado
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 153 lb (69.40 kg)

      Backpacking Background: I have been backpacking since I was 4 years old, taking
      trips into the mountains for week long stays at a time with my family. I hike
      various terrains throughout Colorado from mountains and plateaus to grasslands
      and prairies. My excursions can be a day hike with a waist pack, a loop trail
      with 3 nights camping between start and finish, or an in and out trip which can
      range from an overnighter to 4 nights camping. Depending on the area and weather
      I use a tent or go hammock camping if I would rather stay up off of the ground.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Red Star Worldwear
      Year of Manufacture: 2010
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.redstarworldwear.com/">>
      MSRP: $80 US
      Listed Weight: 0.72 oz (21.0 g)
      Measured Weight: 0.72 oz (21.2 g)
      Hinges: Metal
      Frame/Lense Material: Duraflex/Polycarbonate
      Frame/Lense Color: Black/Grey
      Ear/Nose Pads Color: Orange
      Other details:<<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "RS14" IMAGE CAPTION = "The RS14 by Red Star Worldwear">>
      Red Star Worldwear boasts that this model offers 100% UV and IR protection with
      superior polarized lens technology that exceeds ANSI standards.
      The nose and ear pads that are in place ensure a no slip fit and there are small
      holes in the nose pads to make them breathable.
      Polycarbonate lenses are high impact and light weight as are the duraflex
      frames.
      The manufacturer trademark Red Star marks the head of the arms on each side of
      the glasses while a small "Q3" is marked on the upper right corner of the lenses
      on the right hand side of the glasses as well.

      FIELD USE

      Since purchasing these glasses in June of 2010 they have been the only
      sunglasses I have worn in various conditions and during all of my activities
      from hiking and biking to fishing and driving.

      Throughout the months of June through December, approximately 162 days, the sunglasses were subjected to hot, sunny, bright days as well as frigid and frosty ones, a few thunderstorms
      that ranged from steady trickles to downpours, and were also worn on windy
      afternoons where dust and debris were heavy in the air. I've worn them to shield
      my eyes against flying particles of dust, dirt and sand on the shores of many
      lakes around southern and eastern Colorado when I just wasn't ready to give up
      on the fish, despite oncoming storms. They endured 6 hours on a hot, dry, trail
      through the rugged and rough Picketwire Canyon to see the dinosaur tracks and
      find all of the Native American rock art, then did it all over again for another
      11 hours on a wild turkey hunt which never seemed to be anywhere near the beaten
      trail.

      Since these were my primary sunglasses for every event they were also put to the
      test on a sunny day after a recent snowstorm in the mountains.

      SUMMARY

      The overall fit of the sunglasses is snug and comfortable. They are lightweight
      enough that they are barely noticeable except that the snug fit of the arms that
      wrap around the contour of the head, and the cushioned ear pads which seem to
      grip snugly gives them away as being worn.

      The nose pads provide a nice snug fit and there has been no instances of
      slippage occurring while looking downwards or while being bounced around on a
      bumpy trail astride a mountain bike. The small pin sized holes in the pads
      allows just enough air to pass through so that sweat and water do not interfere
      with the grip the pads have either.

      I have dropped them on a couple of occasions and there were no scratches
      sustained by the lenses and the frames bounced right back. On one occasion the
      arms of the sunglasses had been stepped on and they too bounced right back
      without any bends, breaks or cracking occurring. They delivered on their promise
      to be sturdy and durable in construction.

      During the time spent on lakes and rivers the lenses provided minimal glare from
      the waters and offered great protection from the shine on the snow after the
      snowstorm in the mountains. They provide good protection from the suns rays and
      I experienced minimal squinting at any time, even that which can sometimes be
      caused from peripheral exposure since the lenses actually wrap around the face
      enough to shade the line of vision completely.

      Overall these sunglasses are a great fit, they keep the glare and light to a
      minimal, and they are quite stylish in appearance.

      THINGS I LIKE

      Lightweight frames are very sturdy and take some abuse.

      Comfortable fit with the nose and earpieces padded in a lightweight rubber that
      is also breathable.

      The lenses actually cover enough of the area around the eyes to block out all
      sunlight from creeping in from over the top, under the bottom, or from the sides
      which reduces squinting from glare off of mirrors in vehicles or on motorcycles
      or bright flashes coming off of passing vehicles, windows or other surface areas
      that the sun catches and glints off of.

      I like the versatility of these sunglasses as well as that they have already
      endured so many of the outdoor activities that I participate in.

      They are stylish and can not only be a part of everyday casual dress, they can
      also go good with rugged outdoor gear, wetsuits when river rafting and a uniform
      for work.

      The price was very fair for the quality of the sunglasses. I am very impressed.

      I have never experienced any instances where condensation has proved to be a
      problem for these glasses.

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      The frames, though very sturdy, feel cheap and plastic like, but even though
      they feel flimsy they aren't. I am just not keen on the feel.

      Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

      To: BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com
      From: rescue@...
      Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 20:41:53 -0600
      Subject: [BackpackGearTest] RE: EDIT- Owner Review : RED STAR WORLDWEAR RS14 Sunglasses

      Erin,

      > About the link that you mentioned in the edit, whenever I click on it the

      page

      > loads for Red Star Worldwear sunglasses and I was wondering why it would

      > work for me but not for me, am I doing something wrong?

      ### The link that you posted in the report that was on the site was not

      clickable. You need to add the necessary code to make it clickable. I do not

      use the report writer, but you may choose to join the BGTWeb group. They

      should be able to help you there with report writer problems.

      > Also, I did add a picture to the report and I posted the edit in the yahoo

      > groups for you to look at before I go ahead and upload this one and wanted

      > to know if I ended up getting the picture in correctly since I am using

      the

      > report writer which I am a little unfamiliar with and am still getting

      used to.

      ### The report writer will not put the picture in the text version that is

      sent off to the BGT yahoo group. You must reupload your HTML version to the

      site before I can edit or check the pic for problems.

      Also, you need not post two separate emails to the group. Post your

      information on top of your report, just separate it somehow as most others

      testers do. You can see an example of what I mean here: http://is.gd/jgG4X

      In closing... you seem to be missing some KEY points in my emails. I've

      responded to you a number of times with very specific instructions that you

      have yet to follow. Please re-upload the text version with the corrected

      information as such:

      2) Make sure that you repost your draft to the group with a subject line

      something line: REVISED: OR -Red Star Worldwear Sunglasses - Erin Hedden

      3) Be sure to include a link to your uploaded report so the editor doesn't

      have to search throughout the folders for your HTML version.

      AB

    • Andrew Buskov
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 24, 2010
        Erin,

        I glanced at your report a few minutes before heading out. Your HTML version
        seems to be pinched to the Left. You have <br> (line breaks) throughout your
        paragraphs making them messy. Please fix this and repost. Your picture looks
        good, though my suggestion would be to make it a bit bigger if you can. In
        closing, I will restate the editing rules once again.....

        ##### Make sure that you repost your draft to the group with a subject line
        something line: REVISED: OR -Red Star Worldwear Sunglasses - Erin Hedden
        #####

        You have yet to do this in any email you've submitted. This is a requirement
        as per BackpackGearTest.org rules.

        AB