EDIT- Owner Review : RED STAR WORLDWEAR RS14 Sunglasses

  • Dingo
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 18, 2010
      Owner Review : RED STAR WORLDWEAR RS14 Sunglasses
      BY ERIN M. HEDDEN
      OR
      November 22, 2010

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Erin M. Hedden
      EMAIL: tookieblueeyes@...
      AGE: 32
      LOCATION: La Junta, Colorado
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 145 lb (65.80 kg)

      Backpacking Background: I have been backpacking since I was 4 years old, taking trips into the mountains for week long stays at a time with my family. I hike various terrains throughout Colorado from mountains and plateaus to grasslands and prairies. My excursions can be a day hike with a waist pack, a loop trail with 3 nights camping between start and finish, or an in and out trip which can range from an overnighter to 4 nights camping. Depending on the area and weather I use a tent or go hammock camping if I would rather stay up off of the ground.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Red Star Worldwear
      Year of Manufacture: 2010
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.redstarworldwear.com/
      MSRP: $80.00 US
      Listed Weight: 0.72 oz (21.0 g)
      Measured Weight: 0.72 oz (21.2 g)
      Hinges: Metal
      Frame/Lense Material: Duraflex/Polycarbonate
      Frame/Lense Color: Black/Grey
      Ear/Nose Pads Color: Orange
      Other details:
      Red Star Worldwear boasts that this model offers 100% UV and IR protection with superior polarized lens technology that exceeds ANSI standards.
      The nose and ear pads that are in place ensure a no slip fit and there are small holes in the nose pads to make them breathable.
      Polycarbonate lenses are high impact and light weight as are the duraflex frames.
      The manufacturer trademark Red Star marks the head of the arms on each side of the glasses while a small "Q3" is marked on the upper right corner of the lenses on the right hand side of the glasses as well.

      FIELD USE

      Since purchasing these glasses in June of 2010 they have been the only sunglasses I have worn in various conditions and during all of my activities from hiking and biking to fishing and driving.

      Throughout the months of June through December the sunglasses were subjected to hot, sunny, bright days as well as frigid and frosty ones, a few thunderstorms that ranged from steady trickles to downpours, and were also worn on windy afternoons where dust and debris were heavy in the air. I've worn them to shield my eyes against flying particles of dust, dirt and sand on the shores of many lakes around southern and eastern Colorado when I just wasn't ready to give up on the fish, despite oncoming storms. They endured 6 hours on a hot, dry, trail through the rugged and rough Picketwire Canyon to see the dinosaur tracks and find all of the Native American rock art, then did it all over again for another 11 hours on a wild turkey hunt which never seemed to be anywhere near the beaten trail.

      Since these were my primary sunglasses for every event they were also put to the test on a sunny day after a recent snowstorm in the mountains.

      SUMMARY

      The overall fit of the sunglasses is snug and comfortable. They are lightweight enough that they are barely noticeable except that the snug fit of the arms that wrap around the contour of the head, and the cushioned ear pads which seem to grip snugly gives them away as being worn.

      The nose pads provide a nice snug fit and there has been no instances of slippage occurring while looking downwards or while being bounced around on a bumpy trail astride a mountain bike. The small pin sized holes in the pads allows just enough air to pass through so that sweat and water do not interfere with the grip the pads have either.

      I have dropped them on a couple of occasions and there were no scratches sustained by the lenses and the frames bounced right back. On one occasion the arms of the sunglasses had been stepped on and they too bounced right back without any bends, breaks or cracking occurring. They delivered on their promise to be sturdy and durable in construction.

      During the time spent on lakes and rivers the lenses provided minimal glare from the waters and offered great protection from the shine on the snow after the snowstorm in the mountains. They provide good protection from the suns rays and I experienced minimal squinting at any time, even that which can sometimes be caused from peripheral exposure since the lenses actually wrap around the face enough to shade the line of vision completely.

      Overall these sunglasses are a great fit, they keep the glare and light to a minimal, and they are quite stylish in appearance.

      THINGS I LIKE

      Lightweight frames are very sturdy and take some abuse.

      Comfortable fit with the nose and earpieces padded in a lightweight rubber that is also breathable.

      The lenses actually cover enough of the area around the eyes to block out all sunlight from creeping in from over the top, under the bottom, or from the sides which reduces squinting from glare off of mirrors in vehicles or on motorcycles or bright flashes coming off of passing vehicles, windows or other surface areas that the sun catches and glints off of.

      I like the versatility of these sunglasses as well as that they have already endured so many of the outdoor activities that I participate in.

      They are stylish and can not only be a part of everyday casual dress, they can also go good with rugged outdoor gear, wetsuits when river rafting and a uniform for work.

      The price was very fair for the quality of the sunglasses. I am very impressed.

      I have never experienced any instances where condensation has proved to be a problem for these glasses.

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      The frames, though very sturdy, feel cheap and plastic like, but even though they feel flimsy they aren't. I am just not keen on the feel.

      Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.
    • Andrew Buskov
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 22, 2010
        Erin,

        Below are your edits. Follow the normal editing convention. In addition,
        please remember to read and follow all instructions provided by your
        editors. This does two things. gets you the most complete information as the
        editors are not having to repeat their instructions & helps the editors keep
        their sanity. There is nothing more frustrating than having to repeat
        instructions three or four times before the reviewers follow them. Please
        make sure to re-read the editor email prior to submitting your text version
        to make sure you haven't missed anything that has been said. In particular,
        please make sure the following are corrected prior to uploading a new
        version of your report for edit.

        1) When you submit your initial report, please have your subject line follow
        this order: Owner Review: Product Name & Type - Your Name. An example would
        be as such: Owner Review - REI Quarterdome Tent - John Smith. This way we
        can track it through our system properly and make sure that it doesn't get
        'lost'.

        2) Make sure that you repost your draft to the group with a subject line
        something line: REVISED: OR -Red Star Worldwear Sunglasses - Erin Hedden

        3) Be sure to include a link to your uploaded report so the editor doesn't
        have to search throughout the folders for your HTML version.

        AB
        ____________

        > Owner Review : RED STAR WORLDWEAR RS14 Sunglasses BY ERIN M. HEDDEN
        EDIT: Remove "Owner Review:" from the title as it's listed below the date.

        > OR November 22, 2010
        EDIT: Correct the date to December as that is when you'll be uploading the
        report.
        Comment: While not required for your first OR, a picture of the specific
        sunglasses would be nice. Every report after your first will require a
        picture of the product.

        > Year of Manufacture: 2010
        > Manufacturer's Website: http://www.redstarworldwear.com/
        EDIT: This link must be working. Please make sure the link is 'clickable'.

        > Since these were my primary sunglasses for every event they were also put
        > to the test on a sunny day after a recent snowstorm in the mountains.
        EDIT: Please include a rough estimate of total days of use. Something like;
        "In total, I've used these glasses roughly 65 days since purchasing them."
      • Dingo
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 22, 2010
          RED STAR WORLDWEAR RS14 SU
          BY ERIN M. HEDDEN
          OR
          December 24, 2010

          TESTER INFORMATION

          NAME: Erin M. Hedden
          EMAIL: tookieblueeyes@...
          AGE: 32
          LOCATION: Colorado
          GENDER: F
          HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
          WEIGHT: 153 lb (69.40 kg)

          Backpacking Background: I have been backpacking since I was 4 years old, taking
          trips into the mountains for week long stays at a time with my family. I hike
          various terrains throughout Colorado from mountains and plateaus to grasslands
          and prairies. My excursions can be a day hike with a waist pack, a loop trail
          with 3 nights camping between start and finish, or an in and out trip which can
          range from an overnighter to 4 nights camping. Depending on the area and weather
          I use a tent or go hammock camping if I would rather stay up off of the ground.

          PRODUCT INFORMATION

          Manufacturer: Red Star Worldwear
          Year of Manufacture: 2010
          Manufacturer's Website: http://www.redstarworldwear.com/
          MSRP: $80 US
          Listed Weight: 0.72 oz (21.0 g)
          Measured Weight: 0.72 oz (21.2 g)
          Hinges: Metal
          Frame/Lense Material: Duraflex/Polycarbonate
          Frame/Lense Color: Black/Grey
          Ear/Nose Pads Color: Orange
          Other details:<<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "RS14" IMAGE CAPTION = "The RS14 by Red Star Worldwear">>
          Red Star Worldwear boasts that this model offers 100% UV and IR protection with
          superior polarized lens technology that exceeds ANSI standards.
          The nose and ear pads that are in place ensure a no slip fit and there are small
          holes in the nose pads to make them breathable.
          Polycarbonate lenses are high impact and light weight as are the duraflex
          frames.
          The manufacturer trademark Red Star marks the head of the arms on each side of
          the glasses while a small "Q3" is marked on the upper right corner of the lenses
          on the right hand side of the glasses as well.

          FIELD USE

          Since purchasing these glasses in June of 2010 they have been the only
          sunglasses I have worn in various conditions and during all of my activities
          from hiking and biking to fishing and driving.

          Throughout the months of June through December, approximately 162 days, the sunglasses were subjected to hot, sunny, bright days as well as frigid and frosty ones, a few thunderstorms

          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Buskov" <rescue@...> wrote:

          > Erin,
          >
          > Below are your edits. Follow the normal editing convention. In addition,
          > please remember to read and follow all instructions provided by your
          > editors. This does two things. gets you the most complete information as the
          > editors are not having to repeat their instructions & helps the editors keep
          > their sanity. There is nothing more frustrating than having to repeat
          > instructions three or four times before the reviewers follow them. Please
          > make sure to re-read the editor email prior to submitting your text version
          > to make sure you haven't missed anything that has been said. In particular,
          > please make sure the following are corrected prior to uploading a new
          > version of your report for edit.
          >
          > 1) When you submit your initial report, please have your subject line follow
          > this order: Owner Review: Product Name & Type - Your Name. An example would
          > be as such: Owner Review - REI Quarterdome Tent - John Smith. This way we
          > can track it through our system properly and make sure that it doesn't get
          > 'lost'.
          >
          > 2) Make sure that you repost your draft to the group with a subject line
          > something line: REVISED: OR -Red Star Worldwear Sunglasses - Erin Hedden
          >
          > 3) Be sure to include a link to your uploaded report so the editor doesn't
          > have to search throughout the folders for your HTML version.
          >

          > AB
          > ____________
          >

          > > Owner Review : RED STAR WORLDWEAR RS14 Sunglasses BY ERIN M. HEDDEN
          > EDIT: Remove "Owner Review:" from the title as it's listed below the date.
          >
          > > OR November 22, 2010
          > EDIT: Correct the date to December as that is when you'll be uploading the
          > report.
          > Comment: While not required for your first OR, a picture of the specific
          > sunglasses would be nice. Every report after your first will require a
          > picture of the product.
          >
          > > Year of Manufacture: 2010
          > > Manufacturer's Website: http://www.redstarworldwear.com/
          > EDIT: This link must be working. Please make sure the link is 'clickable'.
          >

          > > Since these were my primary sunglasses for every event they were also put
          > > to the test on a sunny day after a recent snowstorm in the mountains.
          > EDIT: Please include a rough estimate of total days of use. Something like;
          > "In total, I've used these glasses roughly 65 days since purchasing them."

        • Tookie Hedden
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 22, 2010
            About the link that you mentioned in the edit, whenever I click on it the page loads for Red Star Worldwear sunglasses and I was wondering why it would work for me but not for me, am I doing something wrong?

            Also, I did add a picture to the report and I posted the edit in the yahoo groups for you to look at before I go ahead and upload this one and wanted to know if I ended up getting the picture in correctly since I am using the report writer which I am a little unfamiliar with and am still getting used to.

            I appreciate all of your help and time.

            To: BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com
            From: rescue@...
            Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 09:33:13 -0600
            Subject: [BackpackGearTest] EDIT- Owner Review : RED STAR WORLDWEAR RS14 Sunglasses

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 22, 2010
              Erin,

              > About the link that you mentioned in the edit, whenever I click on it the
              page
              > loads for Red Star Worldwear sunglasses and I was wondering why it would
              > work for me but not for me, am I doing something wrong?
              ### The link that you posted in the report that was on the site was not
              clickable. You need to add the necessary code to make it clickable. I do not
              use the report writer, but you may choose to join the BGTWeb group. They
              should be able to help you there with report writer problems.

              > Also, I did add a picture to the report and I posted the edit in the yahoo
              > groups for you to look at before I go ahead and upload this one and wanted
              > to know if I ended up getting the picture in correctly since I am using
              the
              > report writer which I am a little unfamiliar with and am still getting
              used to.
              ### The report writer will not put the picture in the text version that is
              sent off to the BGT yahoo group. You must reupload your HTML version to the
              site before I can edit or check the pic for problems.

              Also, you need not post two separate emails to the group. Post your
              information on top of your report, just separate it somehow as most others
              testers do. You can see an example of what I mean here: http://is.gd/jgG4X

              In closing... you seem to be missing some KEY points in my emails. I've
              responded to you a number of times with very specific instructions that you
              have yet to follow. Please re-upload the text version with the corrected
              information as such: