RE: EDIT: OWNER REVIEW: Red Star Worldwear Sunglasses Model RS14

  • Andrew Buskov
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 15, 2010
      All correspondence needs to go through the BGT Yahoo group. This way, the
      managers and other editors have the opportunity to keep updated on the
      progress. Just post your second draft to the group with a subject line
      something line: REVISED: OR -Red Star Worldwear Sunglasses - Erin Hedden

      Keep in mind that the group has pretty much shut down for the holidays, but
      I generally edit when I can anyway. Feel free to contact me if you have
      questions or problems.

      AB

      > Thank you so much for taking on and editing my report, I do appreciate all
      of
      > your helpful suggestions and correction.
      >
      > I am new to this so I do have one question: Once I am finished editing my
      > report do I repost it in yahoo groups or do I send you the second draft of
      the
      > report for further editing?
      >
      > Thank you once more and have a happy holiday.
      >
      > Erin M Hedden
    • Dingo
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 15, 2010
        Owner Review : RED STAR WORLDWEAR RS14 Sunglasses
        BY ERIN M. HEDDEN
        OR
        November 22, 2010

        TESTER INFORMATION

        NAME: Erin M. Hedden
        EMAIL: tookieblueeyes@...
        AGE: 32
        LOCATION: La Junta, Colorado
        GENDER: F
        HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
        WEIGHT: 145 lb (65.80 kg)

        Backpacking Background: I have been backpacking since I was 4 years old, taking trips into the mountains for week long stays at a time with my family. I hike various terrains throughout Colorado from mountains and plateaus to grasslands and prairies. My excursions can be a day hike with a waist pack, a loop trail with 3 nights camping between start and finish, or an in and out trip which can range from an overnighter to 4 nights camping. Depending on the area and weather I use a tent or go hammock camping if I would rather stay up off of the ground.

        PRODUCT INFORMATION

        Manufacturer: Red Star Worldwear
        Year of Manufacture: 2010
        Manufacturer's Website: http://www.redstarworldwear.com/
        MSRP: $80.00 US
        Listed Weight: 0.72 oz (21.0 g)
        Measured Weight: 0.72 oz (21.2 g)
        Hinges: Metal
        Frame/Lense Material: Duraflex/Polycarbonate
        Frame/Lense Color: Black/Grey
        Ear/Nose Pads Color: Orange
        Other details:
        Red Star Worldwear boasts that this model offers 100% UV and IR protection with superior polarized lens technology that exceeds ANSI standards.
        The nose and ear pads that are in place ensure a no slip fit and there are small holes in the nose pads to make them breathable.
        Polycarbonate lenses are high impact and light weight as are the duraflex frames.
        The manufacturer trademark Red Star marks the head of the arms on each side of the glasses while a small "Q3" is marked on the upper right corner of the lense on the right hand side of the glasses as well.

        FIELD USE

        Since purchasing these glasses in June of 2010 they have been the only sunglasses I have worn in various conditions and during all of my activities from hiking and biking to fishing and driving.

        Throughout the months of June through December the sunglasses were subjected to hot, sunny, bright days as well as frigid and frosty ones,a few thunderstorms that ranged from steady trickles to downpours, and were also worn on windy afternoons where dust and debris were heavy in the air. I've worn them to shield my eyes against flying particles of dust, dirt and sand on the shores of many lakes around southern and eastern Colorado when I just wasn't ready to give up on the fish, despite oncoming storms. They endured 6 hours on a hot, dry, trail through the rugged and rough Picketwire Canyon to see the dinosaur tracks and find all of the Native American rock art, then did it all over again for another 11 hours on a wild turkey hunt which never seemed to be anywhere near the beaten trail.

        Since these were my primary sunglasses for every event they were also put to the test on a sunny day after a recent snowstorm in the mountains.

        SUMMARY

        The overall fit of the sunglasses is snug and comfortable. They are lightweight enough that they are barely noticeable except that the snug fit of the arms that wrap around the contour of the head, and the cushioned ear pads which seem to grip snugly gives them away as being worn.

        The nose pads provide a nice snug fit and there has been no instances of slippage occurring while looking downwards or while being bounced around on a bumpy trail astride a mountain bike. The small pin sized holes in the pads allows just enough air to pass through so that sweat and water do not interfere with the grip the pads have either.

        I have dropped them on a couple of occasions and there were no scratches sustained by the lenses and the frames bounced right back. On one occasion the arms of the sunglasses had been stepped on and they too bounced right back without any bends, breaks or cracking occurring. They delivered on their promise to be sturdy and durable in construction.

        During the time spent on lakes and rivers the lenses provided minimal glare from the waters and offered great protection from the shine on the snow after the snowstorm in the mountains. They provide good protection from the suns rays and I experienced minimal squinting at any time, even that which can sometimes be caused from peripheral exposure since the lenses actually wrap around the face enough to shade the line of vision completely.

        Overall these sunglasses are a great fit, they keep the glare and light to a minimal, and they are quite stylish in appearance.

        THINGS I LIKE

        Lightweight frames are very sturdy and take some abuse.

        Comfortable fit with the nose and earpieces padded in a lightweight rubber that is also breathable.

        The lenses actually cover enough of the area around the eyes to block out all sunlight from creeping in from over the top, under the bottom, or from the sides which reduces squinting from glare off of mirrors in vehicles or on motorcycles or bright flashes coming off of passing vehicles, windows or other surface areas that the sun catches and glints off of.

        I like the versatility of these sunglasses as well as that they have already endured so many of the outdoor activities that I participate in.

        They are stylish and can not only be a part of everyday casual dress, they can also go good with rugged outdoor gear, wetsuits when river rafting and a uniform for work.

        The price was very fair for the quality of the sunglasses. I am very impressed.

        I have never experienced any instances where condensation has proved to be a problem for these glasses.

        THINGS I DON'T LIKE

        The frames, though very sturdy, feel cheap and plastic like, but even though they feel flimsy they aren't. I am just not keen on the feel.

        SIGNATURE

        Erin M. Hedden

        Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.
      • Andrew Buskov
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 18, 2010
          Erin,

          Here are the edits from the second round of editing. Your report is looking
          much better. After you fix the edits below, you need to upload the HTML to
          the BGT OR test folder located here: http://is.gd/iYhSh

          When the upload is complete, repost the fixed text version to the list, and
          be sure to include a link to your uploaded report. We'll be working on
          editing your HTML report from this point forward. Once again, feel free to
          ask any questions.

          AB
          ________________________

          > grasslands and prairies. My excursions can be a day hike with a waist
          pack, a
          > loop trail with 3 nights camping between start and finish, or an in and
          out trip
          > which can range from an overnighter to 4 nights camping. Depending on the
          > area and weather I use a tent or go hammock camping if I would rather stay
          > up off of the ground.
          Comment: Much better description of hiking style.

          > side of the glasses while a small "Q3" is marked on the upper right corner
          of
          > the lense on the right hand side of the glasses as well.
          EDIT: is lense supposed to be lenses?

          > Throughout the months of June through December the sunglasses were
          > subjected to hot, sunny, bright days as well as frigid and frosty ones,a
          few
          EDIT: Space after "ones,"

          > THINGS I LIKE
          Comment: This section has great information!

          > SIGNATURE
          >
          > Erin M. Hedden
          Edit: can feel free to leave this section out completely if you want. Many
          do as your name is already listed at the top as well.