OWNER REVIEW: Red Star Worldwear Sunglasses Model RS14

  • Dingo
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 24, 2010
      RED STAR WORLDWEAR RS14
      BY ERIN M. HEDDEN
      OR
      November 22, 2010

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Erin M. Hedden
      EMAIL: tookieblueeyes@...
      AGE: 32
      LOCATION: La Junta, Colorado
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 145 lb (65.80 kg)

      Backpacking Background: I have been backpacking since I was 4 years old, taking trips into the mountains for week long stays at a time with my family. When I reached 16 years of age and got my own drivers license I began taking weekend trips of my own along with day hikes that added to my family outings. I hike all seasons and all terrains.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Red Star Worldwear
      Year of Manufacture: 2010
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.redstarworldwear.com/
      MSRP: $80.00 US
      Listed Weight: 0.72 oz (21.0 g)
      Measured Weight: 0.72 oz (21.2 g)
      Other details:
      The RS14's lightweight and sturdy black frames are held in place by very comfortable and breathable orange rubber like pads at both the nose piece and the ear pieces. They come with polycarbonate lenses in the color grey for this particular model and offer 100% UV and IR protection as they boast a superior polarized lens.

      FIELD USE

      I have used these particular sunglasses over the last 6 months while driving, boating, hiking, jogging, rock climbing, biking, fishing, camping and off road cycling and their snug fit have kept them in place no matter how much jostling around occurred on any one trip out.

      SUMMARY

      The lightweight frames make it feel as if they are not even there and the nose and ear pieces were very comfortable and overall one hardly realizes that they are wearing sunglasses they are so lightweight and streamlined. I have dropped them on a few occasions and the lens came out with no scratches whatsoever which astonished me. Once, I dropped them and stepped on them in a creek and amazingly they came out of the creek without a scratch or break. They are a snug fit to the face and you won't have to worry about them falling off of your face should you have to look down or are getting bounced around a bit, I only dropped them because I had them perched on the bill of my hat while washing my face in a stream, and the other two times while taking them off for the evening as I exited my vehicle. Overall these are a great fit, keep the glare and light out well, and are quite stylish, I actually had to buy a pair for my friend she was so envious of the look of them!

      THINGS I LIKE

      Lightweight frames are very sturdy and take some abuse. Comfortable fit with the nose and earpieces padded in a lightweight rubber that is also breathable. The lenses actually cover enough of the area around the eyes to block out all sunlight from creeping in from over the top, under the bottom, or from the sides which reduces squinting from glare off of mirrors in vehicles or on motorcycles or bright flashes coming off of passing vehicles, windows or other surface areas that the sun catches and glints off of.

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      The frames, though very sturdy, feel cheap and plastic like, but even though they feel flimsy they aren't. I am just not keen on the feel.

      SIGNATURE

      Erin M. Hedden
      www.youtube.com/tookieblueeyes

      Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.