Attn: Zach A. - Re: OWNER REVIEW Osprey Kestrel 48 Backpack

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 5, 2010
      Hello Zach and welcome to BGT.

      Before we can proceed with adding your Owner Review (OR) to our edit queue you'll need to amend your review with your full name. We do not allow partial names or pseudonyms from our reviews. Adds to our creditability, I'm sure you can understand.

      I would also recommend giving your review the once over checking for spelling errors, capitalization, and metric conversions for all measurements (we have a rather larger international user-ship). Once you have added your full name and made these adjustments please repost the full report to the list once more with word REVISED added to your current subject line and I should be able to get into the edit queue so an editor can pick it up and give you a proper set of edits.

      Thanks,
      Jamie D
      Edit Admin Manager

      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "z4130" <zainslie@...> wrote:

      > Osprey Kestrel 48 Backpack
      > Reviewer Information
      > Name: Zach A
      > Age: 28
      > Gender: Male
      > Height: 6' 0"
      > Weight: 155 lbs
      > Email address: z4130@...
      > City: Philadelphia
      > State: PA
      > Country: USA
      > Date: 10/29/2010
    • z4130
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 17, 2010
> [...]
        > d. Listed weight: 3lb 10 oz
        > e. Weight as delivered unverified
        > f. Product description.
        > Pack size is 48 liters
        > Dimensions are shown as length (height) x width x depth
        > Cm: 77 x 40 x 33
        > In: 30.3 x 15.8 x 13
        > MSRP $160
        >
        > Field information
        > I have used this pack on a 5 week backpacking trip in Hawaii and on a 4 day trip in the adirondacks high peak regin. It performed well both in the hot wet tropic climate and in the cold dry high peaks.
        > When I bought the pack 48l was the largest size and now I see that ospray is offering it in two larger options. Due to the small size of the pack I really had to be careful with what I wanted to bring along and it forced me to leave a lot out. Which in the long run I appreciated the lightness of a small pack but was limited on extra clothing.
        > Some of the key features that I enjoyed and will further review was osprays air-scape back panel, hip pockets, integrated pack cover, and there Stow-On-The-Go™ Trekking Pole loops.
        > ospreys air-scape back panel is one of the main reasons I bought this pack. They are extremely confortable and looks to be well ventilated. There are easy to follow instructions on how to fit the pack to you and it real is comfortable. The ventilation is an improvement on my old pack but don't expect your back to be sweat free on hot days.
        > It comes with an integrated pack cover which is attached with a lanyard and stored in a special pocket of its own. This was very useful for showers in Hawaii and for snow fall in ny. One improvement that they could make is to have the fabric be more water resistant its self
        > Another feature I enjoyed is that pockets in the belt strap, they work real well for keeping trail snacks or a small camera handy and easily to access. The top flap its self has a mesh pocket on the inside and two pockets on the outside giving you a place to sore the smaller items you bring along. I aslo found the two side pockets useful for storing raingear and wind shells/hats gloves or anything else I might need fast but didn't want to have to open up the main pocket.
        > The final feature I enjoyed was ospreys Stow-On-The-Go™ Trekking Pole loops. They were a little hard to get used to at first but once I got the hang of it, storing my trekking poles while on the move became real easy and I didn't have to stop to free up my hands or fumble around with the poles when I didn't want to use them.
        >
        > Summary
        > Ospreys kestrel 48l pack is great!
        > Likes
        > 1)Extremely comfortable
        > 2)Plenty of pockets
        > 3)Easy to adjust
        > Dislikes
        > 1)Could be made of a water proof material
        > 2)A little on the small side for multible days(now lager packs are available)

      • z4130
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 17, 2010

          Date: 10/29/2010

          My first backpacking trip was in 1998 and I have gone on a few trips each year senesce then. My average trip length is about 3 to 4 days and we usually cover around 8-15 miles a day. I have traveled all around the country (usa) and backpacked in many different climates and weather extremes.

          Product information
          a. Manufacturer: Osprey
          b. Year of manufacture: 2008
          c. URL http://www.ospreypacks.com/
          d. Listed weight: 3lb 10 oz
          e. Weight as delivered.
          f. Product description.
          Pack size is 48leters
          Dimensions are shown as length (height) x width x depth
          Cm: 77 x 40 x 33
          In: 30.3 x 15.8 x 13
          MSRP $160

          Field information
          I have used this pack on a 5 week backpacking trip in Hawaii and on a 4 day trip in the Adirondacks high peaks. It performed well both in the low hot wet tropic and in the cold dry high peaks.
[...]

          2) A little on the small side for multiple days(now lager packs are available)
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 18, 2010

            Edit Administration Manager
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 30, 2011
              RICHARD - Zach Ainslie (1) - Osprey Kestrel 48 Backpack - Posted Oct 31(msg#79745), awaiting full name as of Nov 5, Revised Nov 17(79849), Taken Nov 24, Edit Nov 24(79861), Follow up sent Jan 30,

              Hi Zach,
              Following a review of our Owner Review queue at BackpackGearTest.org I noticed you have not responded to the Edit given for the above Owner's Review, which was posted by Richard back on 24 Nov. Please refer to message number 79861 at

              Edit Administration Manager