EDIT: OWNER REVIEW -- EGear Dynamo 15-LED Lantern

  • Edward
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 10, 2010
      Dear Jim,

      I will be your editor on this, your first BGT Owner Review. Please see below.

      Ted

      Senior Edit Moderator

      > EGEAR DYNAMO 15-LED LANTERN
      > BY JIM VERZUH
      > OR

      ### EDIT: OWNER REVIEW

      > September 13, 2010
      >
      > TESTER INFORMATION
      >
      > NAME: Jim Verzuh
      > EMAIL: jimverzuh@...
      > AGE: 41
      > LOCATION: Bozeman, MT
      > GENDER: M
      > HEIGHT: 6' 5" (1.96 m)
      > WEIGHT: 210 lb (95.30 kg)
      >
      > I have been backpacking since age 10; most of my trips are for the weekend with an occasional trip for five days. I value quality products that make my pack lighter and trip more enjoyable. I also use my backpacking gear for back country fishing and snowboarding.
      >
      > PRODUCT INFORMATION
      >
      > Manufacturer: Essential Gear
      > Year of Manufacture: 2009
      > Manufacturer's Website: www.essentialgear.com
      > MSRP: US$34.99
      > Listed Weight: 1.3b (.60 kg)
      > Other details:
      > Dimensions: 4.5" x 9" (open), 4.5" x 6.1" (packed)
      > Weight: 1.3 lb.

      ### EDIT: Please offer metric conversions for dimensions and weight. All BGT reviews give all basic dimensions and measurements (including elevations and distances) in both imperial and metric measure.

      > Uses 15 ultra bright LEDs
      > Runs on rechargeable NiMh battery
      > Powered by hand crank, rechargeable battery, cigarette lighter, or 12V AC/DC adapter
      > Power output: 400mA 9V
      > Two lighting modes: 9 LED or 15 LED
      > Pack away design for compact storage
      > Cell phone charger adaptor kit included
      >

      > FIELD USE
      >
      > I have used this lantern on 10 camping trips/field outings since purchasing in May 2010.

      ### EDIT: The Field Use section should incorporate information on the environments in which the gear was used, the temperature ranges and weather condition, the elevations, etc. This is important, as the reader needs to know under what circumstances the lantern was used. In part this is so they can compare your use with their own. Also, an account of conditions helps provide a sense of potential limitations to the review; for example, does the lantern work well in torrential rain, if you experienced that? If it does, this gives information on water resistance. The more information, the better (within readson--it doesn't have to be an essay).

      > SUMMARY

      ### EDIT: The Summary is usually exactly that, a brief statement summarizing the findings of the review. Ideally, you should have sections for product information (that you have provided above), product description (a more detailed analysys of the construction and features of the item), field use (addressed above), observations on how the item operates in the field, and finally a section of likes and dislikes, or a formal summary.

      The issue is that the paragraphs below just don't provide enough product description, nor enough observation of how you found the lantern's operability in the field. Please take a careful look at some of the Owner Reviews by (say) Pam Wyant, Ray Estrella, Roger Caffin or (for that matter) by myself. These will give you a good sense of what's needed.

      We do have a mentoring program, and having looked this over, I feel you would find BGT easier with some assistance (most folks new to BGT do have some mentoring). As an editor, I am able to mentor to only a limited extent. Still, if you want to correct the faults I've addressed and come up with a fleshed out version that addresses my concerns, great. However, mentoring is usually very helpful; please consider contacting

      jennksnowy@...

      Jenn will hook you up with a mentor (an experienced report writer)who will help you with the process and you can then resubmit the Owner Review.

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 25, 2010
        TED - Jim Verzuh(1) - EGEAR DYNAMO 15-LED LANTERN – Posted Sep 13 (msg#79525), Taken Oct 10, Edit Oct 10(79617), Follow up sent Oct 25

        Hi Jim,
        Following a review of our Owner Review queue at BackpackGearTest.org I noticed you have not responded to the Edit given for the above Owner's Review, which was posted by Ted back on 10 Oct. Please refer to message number 79617 at

        Edit Administration Manager
      • Jim Verzuh
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 26, 2010
          Hi, Ted.

          Sorry for the slow response.  I have been in the back country for a while and away from email.  I intend to respond to the message.

          Jim

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 26, 2010
            Hi Jim,

            Thanks! Keep us posted.

            Ted

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 6, 2010
              I am struggling a bit on finalizing this.  I have requested a mentor.  Jenny responded that Mark would email me.  I am waiting for Mark to contact me.

              Jim

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 11, 2010
                Thanks Jim for letting us know. I'll make a note of it on the edit queue so your editor can move on until you are ready for reposting.

                jamie d