Attn: Drew B. RE: BGT Owner Review of MSR Miniworks Ex Microfilter

    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 9, 2010
      RAY - Drew Brandt(1) – MSR MINIWORKS EX MICROFILTER – Posted Aug 9(msg#79394), Taken Sep 1, Edit Sep 1(79459), Follow-up sent Oct 9

      Hi Drew,
      Following a review of our Owner Review queue at BackpackGearTest.org I noticed you have not responded to the Edit given for the above Owner's Review, which was posted by Ray way back on 1 Sept. Please refer to message number 79459 at

      Please let me know how you wish to proceed with this review so I can inform your editor and update the queue.

      Edit Administration Manager
    • drewfus02
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 12, 2010
        MOUTIAN SCIENCE RESEARCH MINIWORKS EX MICROFILTER
        BY DREW BRANDT
        OR
        May 19, 2010

        TESTER INFORMATION

        NAME: Drew Brandt
        EMAIL: Drewfus02@...
        AGE: 27
        LOCATION: Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, USA
        GENDER: M
        HEIGHT: 6' 0" (2.11 m)
        WEIGHT: 225 lb (102.00 kg)

        I have been backpacking for about 8 years now, I lived in Colorado for 5 of those years when I first started backpacking. I have been out in all types of weather conditions, (I have woke up to snow coming down on my tent). I keep to the trails in the Oklahoma area mostly, as well as some in Colorado still. When backpacking a keep a pack around 35-40 lbs (13.6 - 18.1 kg )and hike for anywhere between 5-15 miles (8-24 km)

        PRODUCT INFORMATION

        Manufacturer:MOUTIAN SCIENCE RESEARCH (MSR) <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1">>
        Year of Manufacture: 2004
        Manufacturer's Website: http://cascadedesigns.com/msr
        MSRP: US$89.95
        Listed Weight: 16 oz (456 g)
        Other details:The MiniWorks EX microfilter is a very durable and long-lasting field-maintainable water filer. The filter is made from a see-through grey plastic, the output end has threads on it made to fit onto a Nalgene bottle. The filter uses a carbon/ceramic element to deliver clean and taste-free water. The filter can produce up to 1-liter per minute and can be cleaned in the field with no tools.

        FIELD USE

        I have had this Water filter since 2004 so it has been on many trips with me. When I lived in Colorado I took solo backpacking trips just about every weekend as well as some day trips. I have been backpacking during each of the 4 seasons and have always used this filter. I have also taken several backpacking and camping trips in Oklahoma and used the filter. I actually bought this filter used, it was just an open item that someone had returned and there was nothing wrong with it. I have never had any problems with the filter in the 6 years owning it. I did add a Sweet Water Silt Stopper to the inlet side of the filter to help out when filtering very dirty water and to keep the filter from clogging. <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "Sweet Water Silt Stopper">> The first time I can remember using this filter was in the White Ranch Open Space Park in Colorado, it was mid summer and just an over-nightier. The filter was used this time to just fill up a Nalgene bottle from a small spring along the hike. Another time I can remember using this filter happened to be during the start of bear season, I had my tent set up close to a stream in the Pike National Forest and awoke to sleet coming down, that was the coldest temp I have ever used the filter in. I have never had any part on this filter break , all in all this filter has approximately been used 60 days and nights. The filter has been used at sea level to approximately 14,000 ft (4267 m) and from approximately 20 F (-6.5 C) to 105 F (40 C).

        SUMMARY

        The MSR MiniWorks Filter is a great filter, that is built to last and take the abuse of backpacking. I have used this filter for over 6 years and never had a problem that I could not fix easily and quickly in the field, with no tools. The water from this filter tastes great and visibly clean. I would defiantly recommend this filter to anyone that wants a reliable filter that filters water fantastically, and is very durable.

        THINGS I LIKE

        One great aspect of the MSR design is there is only one tube to use (for water intake). There is no chance of mixing-up the water lines (and maybe exposing myself to the risk of giardia, etc.) The maintenance is easy and can all be done in the field. I also like being able to attach it directly to a Nalgene bottle.

        THINGS I DON'T LIKE

        1. How bulky the filter is as well as the weight.
        2. The price of a replacement element.

        SIGNATURE

        Drew Brandt
        Drewfus02@...

        Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

> [...]
        >

        > ***When I lived in Colorado I took solo backpacking trips just about every weekend as well as some several day trips.
        >
        > EDIT: either delete "some" or "several"
        >

        > *** I actually bought this filter at an REI garage sale, it was just an open item that someone had returned and there was nothing wrong with it.
        >
        > EDIT: we are not supposed to say where we got the gear as it does not matter. If
        > you want to say you bought it used that is fine.
        >

        > *** The filter has been used at sea level to approximately 14,000 ft
        > (4267m) and from approximately -5F (-20C) to 105F (40C).
        >
        > EDIT: need spaces again like at 4267 m. And you really used it at -5 F? We would be very interested in reading about that in the review part of your review. (Read below)
        >

        > ***SUMMARY
        >
        > The MiniWorks EX microfilter is the worldwide best-selling microfilter, delivering long-lasting, field-maintainable water filtration in demanding environments. Engineered for frequent and heavy use, it utilizes our workhorse Marathon EX carbon/ceramic element to ensure clean, reliable and taste-free water. Thanks to its innovative AirSpring Accumulator, it's capable of pumping one liter per minute and the flow rate can be renewed easily and repeatedly in
        > the field—no tools required. It's lightweight and compact and, most importantly,
        > been proven reliable by thousands of adventurers just like you.
        >
        > EDIT: again, this needs to all go. It is not a summary of your review as you
        > never really did review the filter. (Plus it is just a re-paste of the MSR
        > marketing copy.) Where are your findings and observations? With all the use you have with it I would expect to read about it. That is what we are here for, right? Please look at the lessons and other reports to see what we expect to give the readers and manufacturers.
        >

        > ***There is no chance of mixing-up the water lines (and maybe exposing
        > yourself to the risk of giardia, etc.)
        >
        > EDIT: We keep everything in the first person, no "you"s and yourself, just
        > "me", myself, and "I". Here is my canned explanation.
        >
        > Projection
        >
        > "When you tighten the laces on the boots, you pull the shoestrings in an out and upward motion. Then you tie it with a double knot and you are ready to go down the trail."
        >
        > This is a very common way to write, but in doing so we just said what "other people" would do, not our self. This is projecting our thoughts onto the reader. We do not know how other people tie their shoes. We keep away from "you" and "your" in our writing.
        >
        > We are writing a review of "our" gear based on "our" experiences. So we need to keep it in the first person. Here is how it should look;
        >
        > "When I tighten the laces on the boots, I pull the shoestrings in an out and upward motion. Then I tie it with a double knot and I'm ready to go down the trail."

      • Ray
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 13, 2010
          Hi Drew,

          You seem to have missed this paragraph from my last edits.

          You can also put a HTML copy in the Owner Review Test Folder. It is found at the end of the list of reviews on the main page or here;
          http://tinyurl.com/4mfwa

          We will be working from the HTML from here on as that is what gets posted to the site. So please repost when you have it uploaded.

          Ray
        • drewfus02
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 14, 2010
            I posted it in there the other day maybe you just missed it. I just checked and it is in there.

            Thanks
            Drew

            > Hi Drew,
            >
            > You seem to have missed this paragraph from my last edits.
            >
            > You can also put a HTML copy in the Owner Review Test Folder. It is found at the end of the list of reviews on the main page or here;
            > http://tinyurl.com/4mfwa
            >
            > We will be working from the HTML from here on as that is what gets posted to the site. So please repost when you have it uploaded.
            >
            > Ray

          • Ray
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 15, 2010
              OK Drew, let's get to round two shall we?

              Same as before, once fixed please repost and put a corrected version in the test folder. (Delete your old one while you are there.) A link to it is nice.

              Ray

              *** When backpacking a keep a pack around 35-40 lbs (13.6 - 18.1 kg )

              EDIT: the weights here should just be rounded off to 14 – 18 kg

              EDIT: Your pictures from the MSR website need to be identified as coming from them. Adding a caption that says "image courtesy of Cascade Designs" works best.

              ***Manufacturer:MOUTIAN SCIENCE RESEARCH (MSR)

              EDIT: spelling on "Mountain" plus the "S" is for "Safety", and remove the "all caps" in the name

              ***Manufacturer's Website: http://cascadedesigns.com/msr

              EDIT: drop the /msr and just leave the top level URL

              ***Listed Weight: 16 oz (456 g)

              EDIT: we need the actual measured weight from you too. (If you don't have a scale you can weigh it at the post office.)

              ***Other details:The MiniWorks EX microfilter is a very durable and long-lasting field-maintainable water filer. The filter is made from a see-through grey plastic, the output end has threads on it made to fit onto a Nalgene bottle. The filter uses a carbon/ceramic element to deliver clean and taste-free water. The filter can produce up to 1-liter per minute and can be cleaned in the field with no tools.

              EDIT: can you please describe the filter in more detail. How does the pump action work? Does it work with anything other than a screwed on Nalgene? Is there secondary filling methods? How do you field clean it? Read some filter reviews from veteran testers to see what is expected.
              http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Water%20Treatment/Filters/
              Look at the actual body of the reviews. Yours could really use this.

              ***I have had this Water filter since 2004 so it has been on many trips with me.

              EDIT: no cap on "water"

              ***The first time I can remember using this filter was in the White Ranch Open Space Park in Colorado, it was mid summer

              EDIT: midsummer

              *** and just an over-nightier.

              EDIT: overnighter

              *** I have never had any part on this filter break , all in all this filter has approximately been used 60 days and nights.

              EDIT: Place a period after "break" and start a new sentence, plus just "days" is fine unless you use it during the night too... ;-)

              ***The filter has been used at sea level to approximately 14,000 ft (4267 m) and from approximately 20 F (-6.5 C)

              EDIT: round off the Celsius number (-6 C)

              ***The MSR MiniWorks Filter is a great filter, that is built to last and take the abuse of backpacking.

              EDIT: this needs to be two sentences or lose the comma to keep it as one.

              ***I have used this filter for over 6 years and never had a problem that I could not fix easily and quickly in the field, with no tools.

              Comment: what problems DID you have then?

              *** I would defiantly recommend this filter

              EDIT: definitely

              *** There is no chance of mixing-up the water lines (and maybe exposing myself to the risk of giardia,

              EDIT: Giardia