"OWNER REVIEW - REI Travel Sack +55 sleeping bag" by Matthew Borland

  • manta
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 9, 2010
      This is my first Owner Review and have received approval from my mentor to upload my Owner Review to the group.

      http://tinyurl.com/28a4frf

      REI TRAVEL SACK +55 SLEEPING BAG
      BY MATTHEW BORLAND
      OR
      September 21, 2010

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Matthew Borland
      EMAIL: maborland AT gmail DOT com
      AGE: 38
      LOCATION: Newnan, Georgia USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      WEIGHT: 225 lb (102.00 kg)

      I have been backpacking for 2 years and have become a backpacking Junkie. My favorite places to are North Georgia Mountains and the Great Smokey Mountains National Park. I like to backpack all year round and more so in the Winter when it is nice and cool. When I started backpacking my pack weight was around 40 pounds (18.14 kg). Now I am down to about 28 pounds (12.70 kg).

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Product information:
      Manufacturer: REI
      Year of manufacture: 2006
      Manufacturer' s web site: http://www.rei com
      Listed weight: 27oz (265g)
      Weight as delivered: 27oz (265g)
      Temperature rating: 55F (13C)
      Fill: polyester fiberfill
      Fill weight: 6 ounces (170g)
      Lining: nylon taffeta
      Max user height: 6ft.6in. (1.98m)
      Shoulder girth: 60in (152cm)
      Hip girth: 56in (142cm)
      Stuff sack size: 6x11in (15.24x27.94cm)
      Sleeping bag shape: mummy
      Gender: unisex
      Insulation type: synthetic
      MSRP: $59.00 US.

      FIELD USE

      Product description: The Travel Sack is designed for warm weather camping, or can be used as a liner with other sleeping bags. It has a chest pocket for storing items such as a headlamp, iPod, cell phone etc. It can also be fully unzipped and used as a light blanket or partially unzipped at the feet for ventilation. And it has a partial zipper on the left side for an armhole.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "field use" IMAGE CAPTION = "Image courtesy of REI">> <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "field use" IMAGE CAPTION = "Image courtesy of REi">>
      The total number of nights that I have used the Travel Sack in the field is twelve.

      After purchasing the Travel sack at REI in June I went on a two night camping trip to Doll mountain campground at Carter Lake. The park is located in North Georgia near Elijay. The campground elevation is 1100ft (300m). During the two night stay, the daytime temperature was 80 degrees (27C) and nights were 56-58F (13-14C). It was the perfect test run for the Travel Sack. The first night I stayed up late, so when I went to bed the temperature was in the upper 50's (14-15 C), so I got right into the sleeping bag. I slept all night and woke up nice and toasty. Pretty much that was how the summer went. I went to Franklin D. Roosevelt state park in November to try it out in cooler weather. Bumblebee Ridge campsite is in the backcountry and is 1.8 miles (2.90 km) from the parking lot. The elevation is 1200 feet (400m). The daytime high was in the lower 70's (21-23 C) and the nighttime low was 40 F (4 C) with clear skies and a light breeze. During the night I did get a little cold. I think that was due to the fact that I am a restless sleeper and had the zipper slightly open and the drawstrings around the neck and hood open as well, so I could move about without feeling cramped. I did wake up a couple of times to zip up the bag and tighten the neck and hood draw strings. Finally when I woke up in the morning around 8am I was nice and toasty warm. In December I got to use the travel sack in Shining Rock Wilderness, NC for three nights and four days. Elevation was between 5600ft (1700m) and 5800ft (1800m). The temps during the day were in the lower 40's F (4-7 C) and the temperature at night was in the lower 30's F (0-3 C) with 2in (0.05 m) of snow. On the first night I thought I could get away with just wearing my long johns and wool socks since I am a hot sleeper. So I got into my travel sack and zipped it all the way up and synched the drawstrings closed around my neck and found that I was nice and toasty. Soon I was fast asleep. Some time during the night I woke up to my feet and legs be cold. So I put on my rain pants and went back to sleep. In the morning I was still cold but it was my upper body this time. So on the next two nights I slept in my rain pants and my 8oo fill down jacket and not once did I wake up cold. In January and February I used the Travel Sack in conjunction with my 25 F (-4 C) bag on Mount LeConte in the Great Smokey Mountains National Park. The elevation: 6593ft (2010 m), daytime temperature was 15 F (-9 C) and nighttime temperature was -2 F (-19 C). This was my real first extreme Winter camping and did not know what to expect at night so I brought both of my sleeping bags on this one. Even though I am a hot sleeper I was glad that I brought my travel sack. With both sleeping bags I was comfortable in just my long johns and two pairs of wool socks. Spring is here and I went on a five day trip over the Roan Highlands of Tennessee on the AT. Trip dates were May 12th-16th. temperatures range in the day from mid 60's (15-18 C) to mid 70's (21-24 C) and nighttime temperatures were mid 40's( 7-8 C)to lower 60's (16-18 C) and elevation ranged from 2,342ft (714 m)-6,285ft (1916 m). with five days of hiking the travel sack was a perfect bag to bring as it only weighs 27oz (265g). The first two nights were a little cool so I slept in my base layer and my down jacket and the last two nights I slept in shorts and a shirt as we were at lower elevations.

      SUMMARY

      In summary, the Travel Sack is great for Spring, Summer, early Fall backpacking and Winter in conjunction with another sleeping bag. The bag is very lightweight and comes with a stuff sack that is very easy to stuff the bag into, or stuff it with extra clothing for a pillow.

      THINGS I LIKE

      Two things that I like about the Travel Sack is that the Foot box can be unzipped for ventilation and that the left side has a partial zipper for your arm.

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      The thing I do not like about the Travel sack is that when I go to get in it, it slides all over the place.

      SIGNATURE

      Matthew Borland

      Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 9, 2010

        Edit Administration Manager
      • manta
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 12, 2010
          http://tinyurl.com/2wujh4y

          REI TRAVEL SACK +55 SLEEPING BAG
          BY MATTHEW BORLAND
          OR
          September 21, 2010

          TESTER INFORMATION

          NAME: Matthew Borland
          EMAIL: maborland AT gmail DOT com
          AGE: 38
          LOCATION: Newnan, Georgia USA
          GENDER: M
          HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
          WEIGHT: 225 lb (102.00 kg)

          I have been backpacking for 2 years and have become a backpacking Junkie. I like to get out on the trail for three days at a time so I can feel like I had a mini vacation. At first I was sleeping in a Tent but now I have got hook on Hammocks. My back is so much more happier now and I sleep sound. Also I am a hot sleeper so in the Winter I sleep in a long sleeve base layer and base layer long johns. My favorite places to go are North Georgia Mountains and the Great Smokey Mountains National Park. I like to backpack all year round and more so in the Winter when it is nice and cool. When I started backpacking my pack weight was around 40 pounds (18.14 kg). Now I am down to about 28 pounds (12.70 kg).

          PRODUCT INFORMATION

          Product information:
          Manufacturer: Recreation Equipment Inc. (REI)
          Year of manufacture: 2006
          Manufacturer' s web site: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.rei.com" LINK TEXT = "www.rei.com">>
          Listed weight: 27oz (265g)
          Weight as delivered: 27oz (265g)
          Temperature rating: 55F (13C)
          Fill: polyester fiberfill
          Fill weight: 6 ounces (170g)
          Lining: nylon taffeta
          Max user height: 6ft.6in. (1.98m)
          Shoulder girth: 60in (152cm)
          Hip girth: 56in (142cm)
          Stuff sack size: 6x11in (15.24x27.94cm)
          Sleeping bag shape: mummy
          Gender: unisex
          Insulation type: synthetic
          MSRP: $59.00 US.

          FIELD USE

          Product description: The Travel Sack is designed for warm weather camping, or can be used as a liner with other sleeping bags. It has a chest pocket for storing items such as a headlamp, iPod, cell phone etc. It can also be fully unzipped and used as a light blanket or partially unzipped at the feet for ventilation. It also has a draw string built into the hood to help keep heat in. And it has a partial zipper on the left side for an armhole.
          <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "field use" IMAGE CAPTION = "Image courtesy of REI">> <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "field use" IMAGE CAPTION = "Image courtesy of REI">>
          The total number of nights that I have used the Travel Sack in the field is twelve.

          After purchasing the "Travel sack" in June I went on a two night camping trip to Doll Mountain campground at Carter Lake. The park is located in North Georgia near Elijay. The campground elevation is 1100ft (300m). During the two night stay, the daytime temperature was 80 F (27 C) and nights were 56-58 F (13-14 C). It was the perfect test run for the "Travel Sack". The first night I stayed up late, so when I went to bed the temperature was in the upper 50s F (14-15 C), so I got right into the sleeping bag. I slept all night and woke up nice and toasty. Pretty much that was how the summer went. I went to Franklin D. Roosevelt state park in November to try it out in cooler weather. Bumblebee Ridge campsite is in the backcountry and is 1.8 miles (2.90 km) from the parking lot. The elevation is 1200 feet (400m). The daytime high was in the lower 70s F (21-23 C) and the nighttime low was 40 F (4 C) with clear skies and a light breeze. During the night I did get a little cold. I think that was due to the fact that I am a restless sleeper and had the zipper slightly open and the drawstrings around the neck and hood open as well, so I could move about without feeling cramped. I did wake up a couple of times to zip up the bag and tighten the draw string on the hood. Finally when I woke up in the morning around 8am I was nice and toasty warm. In December I got to use the "Travel Sack" in Shining Rock Wilderness, North Carolina for three nights and four days. Elevation was between 5600ft (1700m) and 5800ft (1800m). The temperatures during the day were in the lower 40s F (4-7 C) and the temperature at night was in the lower 30s F (0-3 C) with 2 in (0.05 m) of snow. On the first night I thought I could get away with just wearing my long johns and wool socks since I am a hot sleeper. So I got into my "Travel Sack" and zipped it all the way up and synched the drawstrings closed around the hood and found that I was nice and toasty. Soon I was fast asleep. Some time during the night I woke up to my feet and legs being cold. So I put on my rain pants and went back to sleep. In the morning I was still cold but it was my upper body this time. So on the next two nights I slept in my rain pants and my 8oo fill down jacket and not once did I wake up cold. In January and February I used the "Travel Sack" in conjunction with my 25 F (-4 C) bag on Mount LeConte in the Great Smokey Mountains National Park in Tennessee. The elevation: 6593ft (2010 m), daytime temperature was 15 F (-9 C) and nighttime temperature was -2 F (-19 C). This was my real first extreme Winter camping and did not know what to expect at night so I brought both of my sleeping bags on this one. Even though I am a hot sleeper I was glad that I brought my "Travel Sack". With both sleeping bags I was comfortable in just my long johns and two pairs of wool socks. Spring is here and I went on a five day trip over the Roan Highlands of Tennessee on the Appalachian Trail. Trip dates were May 12th-16th. Temperatures range in the day from mid 60s F (15-18 C) to mid 70s F (21-24 C) and nighttime temperatures were mid 40s F ( 7-8 C) to lower 60s F (16-18 C) and elevation ranged from 2,342ft (714 m)-6,285ft (1916 m). with five days of hiking the travel sack was a perfect bag to bring as it only weighs 27oz (265g). The first two nights were a little cool so I slept in my base layer and my down jacket and the last two nights I slept in shorts and a shirt as we were at lower elevations.

          SUMMARY

          In summary, the "Travel Sack" is great for Spring, Summer, early Fall backpacking and can be used in Winter in conjunction with another sleeping bag. The bag is very lightweight and comes with a stuff sack that is very easy to stuff the bag into, or stuff it with extra clothing for a pillow.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 30, 2011
            RICHARD - Matthew Borland(M)(1) - REI TRAVEL SACK +55 SLEEPING BAG - Posted Oct 9(msg#79603), Taken Oct 11, Edit Oct 11(79622), Edit Oct 17(79676), Follow up sent Jan 30,

            Hi Matt,
            Following a review of our Owner Review queue at BackpackGearTest.org I noticed you have not responded to the Edit given for the above Owner's Review, which was posted by Richard back on 17 Oct. Please refer to message number 79676 at

            Edit Administration Manager
          • david wilkes
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 30, 2011
              Jamie,
              I am Matt's Mentor. Dec 21 Matt sent me a message that he had had some computer
              problems and wanted to take a break for a while. I asked him how long he
              expected to be away but have not heard back. I believe I sent Richard a message
              letting him know and I think I posted the information on the mentor list (if not
              I am sorry).

              Dave Wilkes

              ________________________________
              RICHARD - Matthew Borland(M)(1) - REI TRAVEL SACK +55 SLEEPING BAG - Posted Oct
              9(msg#79603), Taken Oct 11, Edit Oct 11(79622), Edit Oct 17(79676), Follow up
              sent Jan 30,

              Hi Matt,
              Following a review of our Owner Review queue at BackpackGearTest.org I noticed
              you have not responded to the Edit given for the above Owner's Review, which was
              posted by Richard back on 17 Oct. Please refer to message number 79676 at

              Are you planning to continue with the OR? We are here to help so please don't
              hesitate to ask if there is something we can assist you with so you can complete
              your Owner Review?

              Please let me know how you wish to proceed with this review so I can inform your
              editor and update the Edit Queue.

              Edit Administration Manager

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 4 6:49 PM
                Thank you Dave. I'm not on the Mentor list so I didn't know either way but this works. I'll make a note in the queue.

                Jamie D