OWNER REVIEW - Outdoor Products Mini-Folding Shovel

  • Jason Davey
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 6, 2010
      OUTDOOR PRODUCTS MINI-FOLDING SHOVEL
      BY JASON DAVEY
      OR
      October 06, 2010

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Jason Davey
      EMAIL: Jasondavey@...
      AGE: 30
      LOCATION: Panama City, Florida, United States
      GENDER: m
      HEIGHT: 6' 0" (1.83 m)
      WEIGHT: 190 lb (86.20 kg)
      CHEST 40 inches (102 cm)
      WAIST 37.5 inches (95 cm)
      NECK 19.25 inches (49 cm)
      INSEAM 31 inches (79 cm)

      I backpacked in high school with little concern about the weight, probably
      averaging 50 pounds (23 kg) for  week long treks through 100,000 acres near my
      home growing up.  Now that I "am free to do what I want", I have found
      backpacking more enjoyable with 20 to 25 pounds (9 to 12 kg), and safer on my
      back.  I have a tendancy to travel in Florida's "Pan-Handle".  However, I have
      traversed about DeSota National Forest in Mississippi, and am making plans to
      start exploring the northern areas of Georgia.  Primarily, I use a tarp shelter
      supported by trekking poles; unless the ticks are out in force, then I use a
      tent.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Outdoor Products
      Year of Manufacture:
      Manufacturer's Website: <<www.outdoorproducts.com>>
      MSRP: Not listed on website (and they were unwilling to note it in the
      representative's response)
      Listed Weight:  4.59 oz (130 g)
      Measured Weight: 5.8 oz (164 g)
      Other details:
      Listed dimensions: [OPEN] 9 1/8"L X 2 3/4"W X 7/8"H
                                          [CLOSED] 5 7/8"L X 2 3/4"W X 7/8"H
      Measured dimensions: 1 inch (2.5 cm) x 2-3/8 inch (6 cm) x [9-1/5 inch (23 cm)
      open] /
                                                 [5-5/8 inch (14 cm) closed], 0.039
      inch (0.1 cm)
                                                 H x W x L (open / closed), Spade
      thickness

      FIELD USE

      I have taken the Outdoor Products Mini-Folding Shovel on three distinct camping
      trips where I used the item the most since purchasing it.
           The first trip was to Florida's Torreya State Park, for a three day stay in
      June (11 - 13) 2010.  The atmospheric conditions had high's in the 90's F (30's
      C), low's in the 80's F (20's C), and humidity percentage in the 70's without
      precipitation forecasted.  The terrain is actually some of the most non-flat,
      and irregularly graded in Florida.  With the ground being mostly dry in the
      wooded hills along the Backpack Challenge trail, I did use the spade to scoop a
      deeper spot in the creeks when I needed to refill my canteen with the filter
      pump.  The stainless steel construction allowed me not to even hesitate with a
      thought about rust.  Later at the campsite, I used the spade again to clean out
      the fire ring.  Knowing the popularity of the park, I was not surprised to be
      scooping out odd hard objects.  The thin blade of the spade did not disappoint
      me with its durability.  Another chore endured by the item was trenching a rain
      channel around my tarp tent, breaking roots and dislodging semi-decomposed pine
      cones.  After each use, I dissembled the item and cleaned the item as to
      minimize possible tarnish.  I was impressed that the only signs of use were
      nicks on the edge, instead of bending and rusting.
           The second trip was to Mississippi's DeSoto National Forest along the Black
      Creek for three days in June (23-25) 2010.  The atmospheric conditions had
      high's in the 90's F (30's C), low's in the 80's F (20's C), and humidity was
      around 60% along the Creek, and in the 70's further away from the banks.  The
      13-person group I was in, encounter one rain shower on the first day, no more
      after that.  Since the group was using 6 canoes and a kayak, I was not so
      worried about weight conservation, but rather I was space conscious.  Also, I
      did not want something that my niece could hurt herself with in the canoe, or
      rip our gear bags.  I chose to take the folding spade primarily for these
      reasons.  During our first day, I had used the spade to dig "duty holes" about
      four different times.  One hole had 10 inches (25.4 cm) of pebbles and sand
      mixed together before reaching just sand for another 10 inches (25.4 cm).  Most
      of the wholes averaged 20 inches (51 cm) in an effort to allow the matter to
      decompose [a lot better than the animal droppings we found on many of the shore
      heads].  On the second day [which was spent entirely at one campsite], I dug two
      "duty holes" to a depth of 20 inches (51 cm) each.  I did encounter some roots
      around the top half in one hole that averaged 1/2 inch (12 mm), but proved no
      match for the edge of my spade.  The second hole had pebbles about the top
      again.  Little by little, the shovel helped cover the holes throughout the day
      before finally filling in the remaining depression prior to leaving on the third
      day.  The third day only demanded another three holes.
           The third trip was down a 4 mile (6.5 km) stretch of Econfina Creek in Bay
      County, Florida on July 17, 2010.  Using only one canoe and one kayak for this
      4-person group, I just grabbed my water bag from the previous trip.  The
      atmospheric conditions was 98 F (37 C), high humidity (I did not record the
      forecast this time in my log book), and mostly sunny with no rain.  Either side
      of the creek had limestone walls lifting 20 feet (6 meters) above the water when
      it was not nearly flat.  There was plenty of foliage from ferns and trees.  I
      was thankful that I had not rearranged my pack from the last trip because I
      ended up needing to dig another "duty hole" through intertwining roots that
      would have been difficult for bigger shovel spades from my past experience with
      them.  After filling the hole back in, and finishing up the trip, I cleaned the
      shovel again.

      SUMMARY

      Even though I had some initial concerns on the Outdoor Products Mini-Folding
      Shovel's durability, I am happy with its performance.  It performed better that
      I thought it would by not breaking, nor becoming bent.  I have yet to see any
      rust, or other corrosion, among the knicks and scratches on it.  I have not had
      to coat the stainless steel construction to prevent anything undesirable from
      occurring.  The sheath is in good condition still.  Altogether, the item is a
      durable, lightweight, inexpensive camp tool that I have made a permanent item on
      my gear checklist.

      THINGS I LIKE

      1. Lightweight - I can carry the folding shovel without worry of how much weight
      I am adding to my pack.
      2. Durable - I can use the folding shovel in the ground composing of sand,
      pebbles, and roots without concern of damage.
      3.  Compact - I can store the folding shovel [in its sheath] on my pack's
      external straps so as not to take up internel space.  Also, I have not had to
      worry about the sheath snagging on objects (either on the hiking trail, or the
      canoe).

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      1.  Compact - I can not dig a fox hole in an efficient time frame.
      2.  Multi-function - I was unable to clue in to another chore outside of digging
      for the item.

      SIGNATURE

      Jason Davey
      Jasondavey@...
      "Hoping to add to the connection between the classroom, and the outdoors."

      Initial Assessment

      I purchased the Outdoor Products Mini-Folding Shovel in April of 2010.  There
      were no instructions, but the item was preassembled, and easy for me to figure
      out.  Upon opening the box, I found the shovel tucked inside the sheath, wrapped
      in plastic.  The item was not damaged.  To open, I grabbed the spade in one
      hand, and used the other hand to pull the handle away from the spade.  To close,
      I cupped the spade, squeezed the handle at the base, and depressed both
      together.
          My initial concerns involved the spade thickness, and handle attachment
      method.  However, my initial tests in the yard dissolved these worries.  In my
      daughter's garden, the spade easily handled removing pebbles, and
      cutting/scraping through 1/2 inch (12 mm) thick roots.

      Copyright 2010.  All rights reserved.
       Jason Davey
      JasonDavey@...

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 9, 2010