OR: Petzl's "Tikkina 2" Headlamp

  • redcanvasrach
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 6, 2010
      Petzl's "Tikkina 2" Headlamp

      Name: Rachel Parent

      Age: 23

      Gender: Female

      Height: 5 feet 8 inches (roughly 172cm)

      Weight: 155lbs (72 kilos)

      E-mail: redcanvasrach@...

      City, Province, Country: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

      Date: September 30/2010

      Backpacking Background: I grew up camping, hiking and canoeing in Elliot
      Lake, Ontario - a Northern community that has established itself as a
      thriving outdoor recreation town. My parents often took us out
      vacationing in the interior, and I am mostly familiar with the mixed
      terrain of the area's backcountry (rocky, hilly, mixed deciduous and
      coniferous forests typical of the Canadian Sheild). As a teenager and
      later, an adult, I have begun to collect my own gear, looking for
      lightweight options that strike a balance between affordability and
      dependability.

      Product Information

      a. Manufacturer: Petzl (www.petzl.com)

      b. Listed Weight (same as actual): Headlamp with 3 AAA batteries: 2.82
      oz (80g)

      c. Purchased At: Mountain Equipment Co-op, Toronto Ontario

      d. MSRP/Purchased Price: $18.50 CDN

      e. Output: Floodbeam, 23 Lumens

      f. Battery Life: Two settings - Maximum (55h) and Economy (190h)

      g. Illumination Distance: 23m

      h. Product Description: A double LED headlamp with maximum and economy
      light settings, an easy-to-use button activation and stretchy,
      adjustable headband. Runs on three AAA batteries (included), pumps out
      23 lumens of light, water resistant and available in three colours.

      Field Information

      a. Location(s) of Test(s): Algonquin and Sleeping Giant Parks, Ontario,
      Canada (2 night, 3-day)

      b. Description of Terrain: Canadian Shield - Rocky, hilly, forested

      c. Weather Conditions: Raining and windy for both trips, night-time lows
      of 5C

      d. Product Performance: Performed quite well on both trips, used same
      set of batteries for both outings with no problems or sacrifices in
      performance.

      Summary

      The Petzl Tikkina 2 is an all-around performer, providing ample light
      (even on its economy setting) for general camp uses like cooking,
      setting up a tent or bearbag, midnight trips to the loo' or reading
      before lights out. The adjustable tilt of the lamp itself allows a range
      of motion that suits it to such a variety of tasks, and the maximum
      light setting is more than enough for most backpackers. The Tikkina 2
      offered a good range of light (advertized at 23m), and made finding my
      site/blazes after I had lost the daylight easy - a real treat after a
      stressful, wet and cold day. The headlamp is comfortable (even for those
      of us with larger melons!), light and compact.

      I did find myself missing the warm glow of a lantern or a Maglite while
      relaxing with a book in my tent. Although I had ample reading light, the
      bluish LED light of the Tikkina 2 was not as comforting as the warm glow
      of some of its predecessors. Similarly, more technical hikers might want
      a higher lumen rating for night hikes or trail running, but I found the
      Tikkina 2 nearly perfect for my 3-5 day trips in Algonquin and Sleeping
      Giant interiors.

      Things I like: Bright, multiple settings, adjustable strap, Petzl's
      3-year warranty.

      Things I didn't like: LED light not as "warm" as flashlights or
      lanterns.

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 9, 2010
        Hi Rachel and welcome to BGT

        Before I can accept your Owner Review you will need to clarify the number of days and/or nights you have used this product in the field. From your OR it looks like maybe you use this headlamp on two 3 day trips in two different locations but I'm just guessing of course and that wont work.
        Please add an estimate of how many times you have used it to your report and then repost the REVISED version to the yahoo group.

        I will take a look and if it meets our requirements I'll add the report to our edit queue and you will be on your way to getting an official edit.

        Thank you,
        Jamie DeBenedetto
        Edit Admin Manager