OR - Gerber Gator Folding Knife - Joshua Reed

  • Joshua and Deborah Reed
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 16, 2010
      This is the second of my two owner reviews. Again, please let me know if
      there is somewhere else this should be sent or posted to. Thanks again for
      your help and support.

      Josh

      Gerber Gator Knife by Gerber a division of Fiskars Brands, Inc.

      Name: Joshua Reed
      Age: 29
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5�11�
      Weight: 150 lbs
      Email address: Joshua@...
      City, State, Country: Lehi, Utah, Utah
      Date: 09/16/10
      Backpacking Background:

      My father started backpacking with me when I was 8 years old. Living in
      Colorado, we mostly hiked in the Rockies. We occasionally hiked in Utah and
      eventually moved to Arizona. I�ve been backpacking the Four Corners for 15
      years both as a Boy Scout and now as a Boy Scout leader and a weekend
      backpacker. I now live in Utah and I backpack or hike at least once a month
      and would get out more if it weren�t for gainful employment. I�m a
      lightweight backpacker and love remote and survival type of camping as well.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Gerber a division of Fiskars Brand, Inc.
      Year of Manufacture: 2000
      List Weight: 0.34 lbs
      Delivered Weight: .30 lbs
      Overall Length: 8.5�
      Blade Length: 3.76�
      Closed Length: 4.96�
      Lock Mechanism: Lock Back
      MSRP: $56.24
      Number of Product Uses: 300+

      Product Description

      The Gerber Gator comes in a clear blister package and comes with a sheath. The
      sheath is made of ballistic nylon and holds the knife securely. The sheath
      has a belt loop for easy transportation. The blade style is a clip point
      and is made from stainless steel. The grip on the knife is a black,
      rubberized material that is designed to look similar to alligator skin.

      Product Function

      The blade on the Gator is easily opened and locked into place simply by
      sliding the blade out and up into position. The locking mechanism gives the
      blade a slight spring to it in the opening process so as to keep the blade
      in place while in a pocket or pack. To release the blade from its locked,
      opened position, one would push down on the lock release located at the rear
      of the handle. The blade will then be free to be slid back into place
      within the handle.

      Product Report

      I have used this knife in many situations and for many years and the knife
      has withstood the test of time and abuse. I carry this knife with me
      anytime I leave the house for any outdoor activity. It�s been used for
      everything from cleaning the dirt out of fingernails to cutting firewood for
      tinder. I depend heavily on this knife and its secure locking mechanism to
      keep me safe from accidental blade movement or closure. I recently used
      this knife to carve a survival bow and hand drill fire starter and the blade
      stayed sharp for the duration of both projects and longer. The handle of
      the Gator is rubberized to provide maximum grip even when wet. The Gator is
      my main fishing knife and has seen its share of underwater use when
      preparing fish or cutting fishing line. Just like my keys and wallet, my
      Gator has also been through the washing machine on more than one occasion. It
      remains as solid and usable as the day that I bought it (more than I can say
      for my wallet).

      The blade on the Gator is easy to keep clean and to sharpen. I have
      sharpened mine on various surfaces over the years including wet-stones,
      rocks and even a grinder. It holds an edge for an exceptional length of
      time.

      Summary

      The Gerber Gator is an excellent knife for all outdoor situations with its
      tough blade and rugged grip. Gerber has been making this knife since 1991
      and continues to manufacture it because of its dependability, strength and
      aesthetically pleasing appearance. I will continue to use mine for many
      years to come.

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 20, 2010

        Edit Administration Manager
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 14, 2010
          RAY/KATHY - Joshua Reed(1) - Gerber Gator Knife - Posted Sep 16 (msg#79541), Revised Sept 20, Taken Oct 10, Edit Oct 10(79618), Repost Oct 14(79651), Edit Oct 16(79668), Follow up sent Nov 15

          Hi Joshua,
          Following a review of our Owner Review queue at BackpackGearTest.org I noticed you have not responded to the Edit given for the above Owner's Review, which was posted by Ray back on 16 Oct. Please refer to message number 79668 at

          Edit Administration Manager